Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

*Review* Reese UltraLight 350 WDH with Anti-sway

My dealer did me no favor installing a 600/6000 WDH for a 2,900#TT w/ a 310# tongue weight.

I found the Reese UltraLight 350 by mistake while searching other brands of hitches. It seems to be the perfect hitch for most p'ups and TT up to 3,500# with up to 350# tongue weight. I have towed my TT with and without WDH....and now with the Reese UltraLight 350.

After installing the 350 today - I took a drive to the store....then the next town....next thing I know I'm pulling Catoctin Mountain an hour out. What difference having the right hitch makes!!!!

Now for the bad news....Reese Quality Control is pathetic. I'm going to show you some pictures that should blow your mind....following is a picture of the adjustment shunts which have an offset hole to pitch the head at different angles as you rotate the shunt...apparently, the offset hole is punched at random as you can tell from the photo....(this is (2) shunts stacked)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	10178

Next...I slid the bolts through the hitch head bar before setting the ball mount....take a look at how far these bolt holes are drilled off....

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	10179

Lastly...the spring bars ride in a saddle on top of the A-Frame. One of my saddles was only partially tapped....and while they provide self-tapping hardware...I had to use a tap to clear the threads or I would have risked wringing off the phillips slots (lucky I had a tap & die set handy) and a countersink to keep the screw head from sticking up and catching on clothing, etc....

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	10180

I was disappointed having the amount of issues I had for a relatively expensive hitch. It would taken me more time to box it up and send it back...So I decided to "fix" the problems myself and move on......

Besides better weight management / distribution, the Reese UltraLight 350 is 53# lighter than the Equalizer 600/6000 it replaced. I also have greatly improved clearance under the head and jack foot. Here's the installed product...

Name:	Reese Ultralight 350.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	10181

Happy Camping....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Thanks 3butchers for the review....

You know what the scary thing is??? Most casual campers probably would not have picked up on these, myself included. I assume you are experienced and know what to look for. I probably would have had it installed professionally in case any problems came up.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
.... I assume you are experienced and know what to look for. I probably would have had it installed professionally in case any problems came up.
Gerard...the bolt holes were so mis-aligned you could not assemble the head and ball mount. Without issues, this particular hitch is not hard to install....probably less than an hour. The manufacturer recommends torquing the heads bolts to 80lbs (about what you would comfortably torque a car wheel)....other than that a socket set, wrench set, phillips head, measuring tape, and a drill will have you in business.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing!
Now you have experienced how a WDH which is too heavy, is not a good thing. The ride quality suffers!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Thanks for sharing!
Now you have experienced how a WDH which is too heavy, is not a good thing. The ride quality suffers!
Yeah...instead of "spring bars" I used to call them "wheelie bars"......