Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #21

Micro-air is sell a Westinghouse gen for 600.00 us I don't know anything about it, I just install the easy start on my a/c but have not tried it on my honda 2000 yet.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Try the toaster and the coffee maker. One at a time. I was surprised how heavy they draw.
We don't carry a toaster or coffee maker. I make coffee outside with my Jetboil and french press. We also do all of our cooking outside. We've never used our microwave or stove.

The only other thing that we'd really like to be able to run would be the TV if there's bad weather outside and we're stuck inside.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
We don't carry a toaster or coffee maker. I make coffee outside with my Jetboil and french press. We also do all of our cooking outside. We've never used our microwave or stove.

The only other thing that we'd really like to be able to run would be the TV if there's bad weather outside and we're stuck inside.
My wife is a coffee snob. We carry a Kureg and an electric percolator......just in case her mood changes.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #24

I don't know if anybody mentioned it but if you put "Airstream" in the discount code box you get $50 off the Micro air soft start because I guess if you spend 140K on a cramped small camper, you need to save a few bucks
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post

The TV draws almost nothing.. We do run it when doing breakfast with A/C. We turn off the A/C momentarily for the toast and coffee.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I don't know if anybody mentioned it but if you put "Airstream" in the discount code box you get $50 off the Micro air soft start because I guess if you spend 140K on a cramped small camper, you need to save a few bucks
AIRSTREAM has to be all upper case!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
The TV draws almost nothing.. We do run it when doing breakfast with A/C. We turn off the A/C momentarily for the toast and coffee.
In that case you will only need (1) 2000 watt inverter Generator running a Micro-Air Easy Start

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #28

Since the soft start discussion has been covered well, I will not add anything new.

However, when you choose a genny, you should consider the Champion Dual Fuel (gasoline / propane). I purchased one and also purchased a genny stand that mounts above propane tanks.

With this set up:

1. No hassle moving genny around
2. No hassle with gasoline and clogged carbs
3. I would rather carry a spare tank of propane than a 5 gal gas container.

I considered the 2 Honda set up bit with cost and gasoline storage.....the dual fuel Champion won out.

Champion propane and never look back!

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
My wife is a coffee snob. We carry a Kureg and an electric percolator......just in case her mood changes.
SO is the same, use to run a Starbucks. We had a Kureg single cup at the house, and it was just too big for the Camper (16XRB).
So I hit the Amazon and found a single cup that she thinks makes better coffee than the Kureg.
KCup Coffee on the Small – For RV Size Kitchens – Texan Traveler

It is well worth the few bucks and it saves a mountain of space. Heats up in zero time and just flat a$$ works.

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BUbNby
40 Bucks.
bwft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #30

As for the Generator, the Coleman 13,500 that we have on the 16XRB appears to have a hard start capaticor already on it. Since I tried like the devil to find one and they don't make one.

I detailed the setup here:
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler

The Sportsman was less than 300 bucks delivered, and is dual fuel. Mind you, I have not seen it at the $369 price again, but never the less, it works like anything at 3 times the cost.

The setup is slick, and I installed Safety Struts on the bumper, and I don't run it on the trailer. Added a muffler for a 10hp (9 or 10) on this 7hp generator, and it quiets that down some.

Have a champion that we used for many other things for 5 years. It starts every time and works great, but is showing its abuse just in appearence.
I wanted a Champion but could not get the dual fuel before we set out so I took a chance on the Sportsman, and it is as good as ones 3 times the price.
I have never run gas in it, which keeps the carb clean of ethanol garbage gas.

At the end of the day, Champions were made on the Honda Patent and Design in china because they were making them for Honda. When the agreement ran out they just ripped it off and called it Champion.
Now most all the units are basically the same from China, and work like all the others. But I can stand behind the sportsman.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTraveler View Post
At the end of the day, Champions were made on the Honda Patent and Design in china because they were making them for Honda. When the agreement ran out they just ripped it off and called it Champion. Now most all the units are basically the same from China, and work like all the others.

All of the videos showing Champion generators sounded exactly like my Honda inverter generator when starting up and especially when shutting down. I don't know anything about the Honda being made in China and any kind of agreement running out, but I'm really starting to get a bad, bad feeling about that country of manufacture. They sure do not respect any copyrights, patents or intellectual property rights.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Pwidmer1 Send a message via MSN to Pwidmer1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pwidmer1
I leave my fan on and let the A/C Cycle through. Works great on my Champion Dual Fuel 2400. But if the A/C and Fan come on at the same time it will sometimes trip the overlaod.
Pwidmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #33

I have 2 Honda 2000’s paralleled
Works great
Had a 3000 Honda but it wieghed 140 pounds the 2000 weighs 50 pounds and a lot easier to handle but drinks a little more gas
When getting a generator it pays to get the quietest you can get
Honda’s are quiet and so are kippor generators
Nothing worse than a loud generator for you and other campers
Lefty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #34

I went with a Westinghouse igen 4500, it has remote start/stop, wheels, telescoping handle, heavy duty handles on top, weighs just under 100lbs empty, runs 18 hours at 25% load on 3.4 gallons of fuel. This fits perfectly under my locking diamond back bed cover which also works great to support weather protection if I want to just run it from my tailgate. I’m also able to run both of my 15k ac units simultaneously they run about 950$ when they are in stock and it is more quiet than my yamaha 2400. I do have 2 micro air soft starts also installed.

I ‘ve even run a 50 amp adapter splitting one leg to a 30 amp plug and the other to a 15 amp plug and ran both generators simultaneously providing as much as 45 amps combined - my RV doesn’t bridge the two legs to provide 240 volt to my panel, they are kept separate.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #35

I am on the fence here.
When LCD's first came out they were $4000. Now they are $400.
Generators are the same.

I guess I don't have any intellectual property that people steal.
And the world today is about knowledge and streamlining the process for maximum profitability.
If the USA would swallow that, and be the most efficient at producing stuff, we would have more made here junk.

Like I said, I'm on the fence.
I do like that I can get a solid LCD or Generator that runs far longer than I would ever need for $269 bucks, and is dual fuel.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty62 View Post
I have 2 Honda 2000’s paralleled
Works great
Had a 3000 Honda but it wieghed 140 pounds the 2000 weighs 50 pounds and a lot easier to handle but drinks a little more gas
When getting a generator it pays to get the quietest you can get
Honda’s are quiet and so are kippor generators
Nothing worse than a loud generator for you and other campers
Work great for $2400 bucks.
Mine works great for $269.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwidmer1 View Post
I leave my fan on and let the A/C Cycle through. Works great on my Champion Dual Fuel 2400. But if the A/C and Fan come on at the same time it will sometimes trip the overlaod.
Has never happened with my Sportsman. Hmm...
But remember, running on Propane it has less power.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivoltage98 View Post
Honda makes the eu2800 that would have no problem running the ac. You could do a harbor freight generator and it might last a while but it’s not a Honda.

Bahahah.
I have a champion that has been abused for over 5 years, still running strong.

Point being, the Honda works at 4 times the price of the other
Point being, the other works at 4 times cheaper than the Honda.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #37

Quote:
As for the Generator, the Coleman 13,500 that we have on the 16XRB appears to have a hard start capaticor already on it. Since I tried like the devil to find one and they don't make one.

I detailed the setup here:
Sportsman Generator Setup – Texan Traveler

The Sportsman was less than 300 bucks delivered, and is dual fuel. Mind you, I have not seen it at the $369 price again, but never the less, it works like anything at 3 times the cost.

The setup is slick, and I installed Safety Struts on the bumper, and I don't run it on the trailer. Added a muffler for a 10hp (9 or 10) on this 7hp generator, and it quiets that down some.

Have a champion that we used for many other things for 5 years. It starts every time and works great, but is showing its abuse just in appearence.
I wanted a Champion but could not get the dual fuel before we set out so I took a chance on the Sportsman, and it is as good as ones 3 times the price.
I have never run gas in it, which keeps the carb clean of ethanol garbage gas.

At the end of the day, Champions were made on the Honda Patent and Design in china because they were making them for Honda. When the agreement ran out they just ripped it off and called it Champion.
Now most all the units are basically the same from China, and work like all the others. But I can stand behind the sportsman.
Based on your photo, you don’t have an inverter generator. Hence the $300 price tag. And the non-inverters are louder. Kind of comparing apples and oranges here.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #38

I comparing it working with the cost.
This works. It cost $289? 269? forgot.
It was less than 300, for the device that runs the AC and does it on Propane.

I know the difference in a generator and inverter, and for the life of me cant understand why I need an inverter for a device like an AC, or LED Lights.
If I was running a computer, or some electronics that care, then yeah, some cleaner power might be needed, but in this case it is not.

Apples and oranges?
No. I am comparing a $1200 solution to a $300 solution, both of which work.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:50 PM   #39

Here's ours. Runs the a/c only in our x23b. Wish it was more quiet. We use it very little though as I dislike using a/c. $1100.00Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180303_110212.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	42376

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #40

Quote:
I comparing it working with the cost.
This works. It cost $289? 269? forgot.
It was less than 300, for the device that runs the AC and does it on Propane.

I know the difference in a generator and inverter, and for the life of me cant understand why I need an inverter for a device like an AC, or LED Lights.
If I was running a computer, or some electronics that care, then yeah, some cleaner power might be needed, but in this case it is not.

Apples and oranges?
No. I am comparing a $1200 solution to a $300 solution, both of which work.
No disrespect, and I get your point. Mine was that non-inverters are louder, hence cheaper. To each his own as long as you’re not camping next to me.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote