Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

rust on new trailer

Hi,

We are seriously looking at a new 2013 Jayco 23M. Most of the trailer inside and out is in immaculate condition but we did find significant rusting on the welded loops that attach the safety chains to the hitch and on the underside of the coupler head. There is also rust on the heads of the bolts that fasten some sort of bracket on the suspension. As well, there was what appears to be spotted rust on the front of the frame, not a lot, but there is some. Is this something to be concerned about, given that this is a new trailer and never been used? We love the trailer and it is at a sale price (not because of the rust we hope) but we don't want to invest in a unit if this rusting is a sign of defective steel or if the safety chain link attachment loop has been weakened by this rust. Are there any welders or steel fabricators out there who might be able to comment about this? The dealer says they will touch up the rusted areas but I'm not convinced this will be a long-term solution.

Cheers,

gwncanuck
Old 08-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

I would not be concerned about the areas you are seeing rust appear. This is very normal. I'm assuming this is a used trailer unless it is new and was towed from the factory to the dealership? Either way - safety chains will rust if they are rubbed against each other and the front frame of the TT will experience paint chipping from road debris but black spray paint coating it once a year will slow it down significantly. IMHO I would not let these things stop me from making a purchase if the price is attractive.
Z71 Extended Cab w/Longbed, 5.3 ltr

Coleman Tent, Flagstaff Pop-Up, Jayco Eagle, Flagstaff Pop-Up, RPM Toy Hauler, Jayco White Hawk - Our camping evolution
stjohneyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:23 AM   #3

Sounds like it has been sitting around for awhile. I would have the dealer take care of the rust and paint the areas. You are buying a new trailer should look like one.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #4

That is completely normal, a good dealer will repaint it for you. Ours looked liked that initially, when we picked it up, the tongue, bumper and outside of the frame had been repainted. It's really nothing to be concerned about.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #5

Surface rust due to either lack of initial painting, or chipping off of the original paint is nothing to be worried about. On the areas you describe, there is plenty of metal that will take a long time to weaken. Cleaning off the surface rust and applying paint will take care of this cosmetic issue. BTW, have you ever looked under a brand new auto or truck at the dealer, particularly the drive train ? Chances are there are parts there that the factory never painted to begin with, and they rusted on the way to the dealer. Never a problem, except for the look.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with all the posts.
I prefer to use a Rust Stop primer before painting.
I do this to the under body of all my vehicles and TT.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #7

I clean as much rust of with a wire brush every year and touch up with rust paint. They must use the same paint process as they do on vehicle hitches. I've yet to see a hitch that doesn't have some rust on it after one year.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwncanuck View Post
Hi, The dealer says they will touch up the rusted areas but I'm not convinced this will be a long-term solution.....gwncanuck
Not be Johnny Raincloud....but there is no "long term" solution to fighting rust on Travel Trailers other than constant maintenance..... They're simply not built to be indestructible...

Good luck with your purchase!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #9

Likely just surface rust. I'd (personally) prep the surface rust with a rust preventative primer or paint then hit the chassis with a few cans of of rubberized undercoating expecially if your in the NE region
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Thanks for all the helpful comments. We'll be going back for more discussion in a few days so I'll get a chance to take another look it.

Cheers,

gwncanuck
Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Good point ejay,
For the under frame, I use truck bed lining. If it gets any surface rust developing under it, it pops off and you know to hit it with Rust stop and re-coat with bed liner.
The bed liner is pretty resistant to the elements, but doesn't stay sticky like tar undercoating.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Crabman may comment on this......Outboard motors that are used in a salt water environment have a block of zinc bolted to them to act as a sacrificial anode. Rusting is a reduction process where the metal loses electrons. The zinc block gets 'reduced' instead of the motor, hence the term sacrificial anode. The electronic rust protection boxes provide the sacrificial electrons thru electricity of the battery. I've toyed with the idea of adding one of these two methods to my trailer frame. Incidentally, the anode used in some types of water heater tanks is the same principle.