Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
It looks like your model has been replaced by EnGenius ENH500.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Your unit is mounted inside but the unit above looks to be weather proof? Is there a reason you mounted it this way? You also have a router inside according to your other thread. Do you need an external antennae?

I am trying to find a simpler setup. Ideally one unit that would server as an extender and local wireless for a couple of laptops. Is there such a beast?
Thanks.
Yes, the EOC 5611P is weather proof and can be mounted outside. On my old TT, I had it mounted on the Tv antenna arm. The 5611 is a dual band, 5 GHz and a 2.4 GHz bands. You do not need the 5 GHz band, as CG’s and current laptops/tablets/phones use 2.4GHz.

The internal antenna on my 5611 is only for 5 GHz, so I have the 2.4 GHz on an external antenna (mounted on rear ladder (see Wi-Fi album), just swing it up into position when needed). I have a cat 5 cable running from the 5611P (rear storage area) to the TT's Wi-Fi router (runs 24/7) in the front storage compartment and all the electronic toys have access to it. This layout worked best for our TT layout. The newer units are weatherproof and have an antenna mounted on the unit.

Some of the newer units have (2) - 2.4 GHz trans/receivers in them and can operate at the same time (different channels- transparent to the user). So one could be set up to connect to the CG’s AP, the other would be set up as your TT Wireless Wi-Fi router. Some of the newer units also have a high-speed hardwire port on them also.

This is the setup that I decided was best suited for our current Wi-Fi needs.
I am currently working on using the 2nd unit’s 5GHz band for my SlingBox Laptop. This way the SlingBox’s streaming data (from home) will not interfere with the regular 2.4GHz data to the laptops/toys.

CG’s WiFi >> EOC5611P >> D-Link Wi-Fi Router >>Laptops, iPhone, Tablets
D-Link Wi-Fi Router >5GHZ 5611>>> SlingBox Laptop/TV
Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Way over my pay grade! If there is CG wifi available to your, what is the advantage to others getting access that requires you to set up anything. I guess if I was running my business while in the RV or living on the social networks I might benifit from what you are doing, but as a "Not" power users, I often drive to the camp store or ranger station to get a stronger connection and catch up on my emails and the news. There is no room allocated in my TT for extra laptops or net devices, my little netbook is the extent of my tech equipment.

Here is the fun part of it..

I get a text message saying someone is at my front door, I click on my remote security cameras and see who it is, I can even ask them what they want, and a photo of them was saved on a secure server away from the house. In the morning I can check to see if the computer watered the garden at 7:30AM as programmed. I can check the soil moisture to see if it was watered enough, if not I can turn the garden sprinklers (fed from the 8 rain barrels) on for a little bit and turn them off. I can turn off/on the city water supply to the house, from the TT, I can tell you the water pressure, or if there is a leak in the system. On Tuesday, if the backyard motion sensors fail to send me a text message, that means the lawn service did not arrive. I look at a different camera and see if it was cut or not. If they did not arrive yet, I can send a picture of the long grass with a text message to the lawn care service. I can look at my thermostat and see how the inside of my house is doing. In Florida, the temp should not exceed 80 degrees in the house or you could encounter mold, so I check/change the current temp/humidity, and how active it was that day or any past day. I can tell you the attic temperature/humidity, if the attic fan is working, the temperature in my fridge/freezer. I can look at my tv schedule (Tampa Bay RAYS) and watch them at the CG using the SlingBox that sends the home cable box output over the internet to the TT.
And on the way home, I can tell the thermostat to lower the temp to 74, so that it is not hot in the house when we arrive.

All this, but how often do I use it. Not often, but it is nice to know that I can check these things anytime I want and they will let me know if something is wrong. So being away from the house for 4-6 months is not an issue.
The only item I do not want to see is a text message from my alarm company....

Most of the above mentioned items will automatically let me know if something is wrong.. less worry.. when gone for extended lengths of time.

Can you tell, ELECTRONICS/Home Control is my hobby?

Poor wife... :-)

Don

MagicJack Internet Phone

Old 05-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #13

Don,

Your last name wouldn't be SkyNet would it?

I must say I'm very impressed and hope to use what I learned from this thread.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Team

I call my neighbor. LOL

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

I have a house sitter who collects the mail and keeps an eye on things. Can be reached via cell or email that i check at least once per day. On our last trip 2 of our credit cards were cloned and we were notifed by both banks via email. They had blocked the old cards, pended the suspect charges, and with my confomation they UPS'ed new cards that I got in 2 business days. No harm and no loss. I have more fun fishing and walking the dogs than checking the wetness of my lawn or the whatnot.

Hobbies are just that. This is not one of mine. I still have a "dumb" cell phone.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post

I still have a "dumb" cell phone.

I had to laugh. We would still have my Verizon flip phone, but the kids were bent out of shape because they could not text us. So my son was upgrading his iPhone 4 to a 5 and made me take his old iPhone 4. It has its benefits, but I do not like the small screen. Now they get mad because I don't turn it on 1/2 the time. Can never please them.

Don
MagicJack Internet Phone

Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
I had to laugh. We would still have my Verizon flip phone, but the kids were bent out of shape because they could not text us. So my son was upgrading his iPhone 4 to a 5 and made me take his old iPhone 4. It has its benefits, but I do not like the small screen. Now they get mad because I don't turn it on 1/2 the time. Can never please them.

Don
No texting on my dumb phone or wife's little smarter phone. We turned off texting feature [at the service carrier] because we don't text and people were starting to text spam to her phone. The kids got over it. They learned to call or email if they really wanted to communicate. We dont care about what someone has for lunch or how bored they are in traffic.

Just like our parents, but we do own several flat screens. My hobby is Sat Tv. Love the 211z for Dish in our 14 whitehawk. Added hard drive [now thats hi tech] and volla I have a DVR.

Opps, time to call the house sitter and have her check the moisture in the lawn and check the batteries in my 3 trailcams that guard my front and rear entrances. I may not catch them, but I'll have their liscense # when I get home and call the police.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #18

New item I was told about. I talked to the designer/manufacturer yesterday. They also make an add on for those electronic devices that need a cable.

Gonna pick one up myself and I can report on it at a later time.

http://rvaccessorynews.com/2014/03/1...ignal-booster/
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #19

So a lot of this is good technical AND personal information which has helped me with a decision.

I was really caught up on making the RV similar to my home. I mean, I have satellite TV, Gas Grill, Microwave etc... and forgot why I bought the thing in the first place, and that is to get away from my home.

While having 3 kids, I do think that there needs to be some electronic entertainment for the rainy day, I don't want to enable them to have the same habits on the road as they do at home, however I have to recognize that the internet IS a part of life which really can't be ignored. So what I have decided:

I purchased a Bearextender for Mac. This will allow me to have my Mac access the internet when needed. Also if needed, I can share that connection with the other devices such as iPad's and such, but it won't be a persistent connection for anyone to get "caught up" in non-participation with the camping experience.

The creative ideas which were presented here are really awesome and certainly answered the question, but I also really appreciated the grounding on what I am doing here as well. Sometimes I get caught up in the tech of it with the challenge to be seamless that I forgot I wanted to get away from that in the first place!
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
Site Team

Great point. I too go to get away.
Having to deal with stuff like grass growing when I am away takes some of the fun out of it for me but many are not bothered by it.

We have access but it is a challenge to not become so engrossed in it that you don't enjoy where you are.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote