Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I was at a campground this year that had separate codes for each device
I did as well.. We needed six codes... Or we thought we did, but the reality was that their wifi was impossible to stay connected to, so we ended up using our mobile data instead
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:46 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I did as well.. We needed six codes... Or we thought we did, but the reality was that their wifi was impossible to stay connected to, so we ended up using our mobile data instead
Haha. We did the same thing!!
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM   #63

I've been to one CG where codes were required for each device, they gave you 2 free and anymore required a payment.

I just used one code for my wifi and it worked for all my devices thru my wifi setup.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #64

My Samsung phone as a hot spot will support up to 10 devices. We use Verizon service and it works well. You can use a lot of data in a hurry.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
My Samsung phone as a hot spot will support up to 10 devices. We use Verizon service and it works well. You can use a lot of data in a hurry.
Isn't that the truth! What kills me on the data is all the software updates that have to be downloaded and, in my case, each download is done three times, once for each of the three computers I own. A 334MB software upgrade becomes a 1GB download of data when applied to all three computers. When the vendor permits it, I set the software so it doesn't download automatically. This gives me some control and helps me from going over my data limit.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #66

We've all gone soft!

We've all gone soft with the technology, no question about it haha.

For anyone looking for a wifi extender, I use RedPort and it works really well. I pick up signals from about a 2 mile range and am able to connect without issue. Even if you're just in a big campground and are too far from their hub, it's been well worth it.
ledderonthego12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledderonthego12 View Post
We've all gone soft with the technology, no question about it haha.

For anyone looking for a wifi extender, I use RedPort and it works really well. I pick up signals from about a 2 mile range and am able to connect without issue. Even if you're just in a big campground and are too far from their hub, it's been well worth it.
If you would not mind, would you post your information on the WiFi Signal Extenders Social Group? I created a post in the Social Group for you to enter your thoughts about the RedPort. Sounds like a nice unit. Can you add the price to give the readers an idea as to how much they cost?

Thanks
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #68

RV Internet

Too many commercial campgrounds will run their WiFi off a business DSL line that only has 12 mbs or worse 8 or 6. This is especially true in rural areas where data services may still be limited.
Then each campsite has at least one device and frequently three or four. And if even a couple of those folks hit YouTube or Netflix and then whole system is toast.
I don't think I've ever had good WiFi at a campground and that's usually just fine with me. I don't go camping to watch a 3 inch screen.
I think the most depressing Commercial on TV is the one where the Family loses their Internet connection for 5 minutes and their 'life is over'. If it was a parody it would be funny- but it's a serious commercial about why you need reliable internet. And it's all too true.
And this from a retired technology entrepreneur and former owner of a Web development company [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #69

I guess I am not understanding what you are wanting to do..

I use VERIZON MIFI here and it sits in WILSON SLEEK CRADLE which has an outside antenna.

The MIFI device connects to the WILSON SLEEK by being in close proximity to its pickup base. The roof-mounted antenna receives the phone's signal from the cell tower and sends it to the Sleek cradle via cable. The signal is then boosted by the Sleek's built-in amplifier and then transmitted to the cell phone by its built-in antenna. The process is then repeated in reverse to send a boosted cell phone signal back to the cell tower. The Sleek operates on both the 800 MHz (cellular) and 1900 MHz (PCS) frequency bands, and meets all FCC and Industry Canada technical specifications.

My personal secured WIFI HOTSPOT zone is a good 200-300 feet around my Trailer setup... Then the up to five devices I have with me can use this secured generated "HOT SPOT" and each one has great Internet connections using the VERIZON INTERNET network.

I only have a 3GB Dateplan with Verizon so I have to only check my emails, pay some bills, keep in touch with the kids, and just some surfing of the internet. Bigger DATA PLANs are available.

This setup I use now is click click and you are on the Internet just about anywhere we go here in the US... I am only using 3G with my older WILSON SLEEK. It works just like you at at home on your wired setup.

I gave up on FREE WIFI connections years ago as they were never dependable and who knows what was on the other end of them... At the camp grounds the Internet usually started out good but by 6PM each night the signal was strong but it would slow down to crawl when all of the folks start trying to use the Internet... If you was lucky you try again around 3Am and maybe get what you was wanting to do.

Seems like to me coming up with ways to get better signals and using routers to feed many devices is going to be a loosing battle when the bandwidth goes away with the many other users on the networks where you are getting your WIFI signals from.

If you end up not being able to use then then the being 'FREE' doesnt mean much to me...

Of course downstreaming movies and watching HDTV channels over the internet is a whole different situation...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #70
Site Team

[QUOTE=BuddyRay;422088]Too many commercial campgrounds will run their WiFi off a business DSL line that only has 12 mbs or worse 8 or 6. This is especially true in rural areas where data services may still be limited.
Then each campsite has at least one device and frequently three or four. And if even a couple of those folks hit YouTube or Netflix and then whole system is toast.
I don't think I've ever had good WiFi at a campground and that's usually just fine with me. [emoji13]

We now spend 4-5-6 months at a time at a campground. Internet is essential to us as we have bill paying... and I need stock market access (to pay for our outings). So, an internet connection is a top priority to me. Most of the campground people are seasonal and they need only basic internet access. Luckily, the CG we are at has 7 AP's and each has 20Mb capabilities. Come the holiday weekends, I do not even try to get on the system. I am working with him to set the main router up to block the Netflix, Apple.... and other streaming sites, that bring the system down to its knees. More and more campgrounds are taking this approach. Also limiting MAC Addresses up to 2Mb streaming rate also.

If I want to watch a movie, I have just under 200 movies that I copied from my home collection to a 2Tb hard drive, plug in the RTaspberry Pi to the TV HDMI and the hard drive and watch them.

When traveling, we would get to a CG and I would select the AP that had the best signal with the least number of users. Currently, with this unit I get 65Mb (between the AP and my unit), without it inside the TT the laptop only gets 3 to 4Mb and the connections drop constantly.

Never had this data issue when all we had was DOS!!!!

Don
Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #71

[QUOTE=Mustang65;422101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Too many commercial campgrounds will run their WiFi off a business DSL line that only has 12 mbs or worse 8 or 6. This is especially true in rural areas where data services may still be limited.
I don't think I've ever had good WiFi at a campground and that's usually just fine with me. [emoji13]

We now spend 4-5-6 months at a time at a campground. Internet is essential to us as we have bill paying... and I need stock market access (to pay for our outings). So, an internet connection is a top priority to me. Most of the campground people are seasonal and they need only basic internet access. Luckily, the CG we are at has 7 AP's and each has 20Mb capabilities. Come the holiday weekends, I do not even try to get on the system. I am working with him to set the main router up to block the Netflix, Apple.... and other streaming sites, that bring the system down to its knees. More and more campgrounds are taking this approach. Also limiting MAC Addresses up to 2Mb streaming rate also.

If I want to watch a movie, I have just under 200 movies that I copied from my home collection to a 2Tb hard drive, plug in the RTaspberry Pi to the TV HDMI and the hard drive and watch them.

When traveling, we would get to a CG and I would select the AP that had the best signal with the least number of users. Currently, with this unit I get 65Mb (between the AP and my unit), without it inside the TT the laptop only gets 3 to 4Mb and the connections drop constantly.

Never had this data issue when all we had was DOS!!!!

Don
Never thought of copying movies to a hard drive. Don't understand the rest you said on how to watch them but will look into it. Great thread. Tired of the people that always chime in about not going camping to use Internet though. We all have our different reasons and I don't see anything wrong with it at the end of a long day outdoors to wind down or if you have inclement weather and are stuck inside. Don't judge. Off my soap box now. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #72

The issue I ran into a few weeks back in Myrtle Beach was the wireless signals from all the access points in the campground were very weak when in the 5er. If you stepped outside, the signals/connections were fine.

I'm just going to put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal inside the 5er. Otherwise, we have to use our iPhone hotspots and we can kill our data plan in a few days with my 5 and 9 year old daughters watching Netflix and YouTube on their iPad's and what my wife and I use. So if the campground has wifi with decent speed, I'd rather use theirs than mine.
Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrailGarage View Post
The issue I ran into a few weeks back in Myrtle Beach was the wireless signals from all the access points in the campground were very weak when in the 5er. If you stepped outside, the signals/connections were fine.

I'm just going to put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal inside the 5er. Otherwise, we have to use our iPhone hotspots and we can kill our data plan in a few days with my 5 and 9 year old daughters watching Netflix and YouTube on their iPad's and what my wife and I use. So if the campground has wifi with decent speed, I'd rather use theirs than mine.
We have a "WIFI Signal Extenders" Social Group (above under Community). A few of the members have these units and share a little information on them.

Don