Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #41

Boy you really can get a headache just reading about all this , i think i will just leave my flip phone (emergency use only) in the truck when i camp and listen to nature. Just my two.

2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #42

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawk885 View Post
We use our cell as a hotspot. Have unlimited data. Most campgrounds give poor WiFi. At least most we have stayed at.
Greyhawk885: I am NEW to the "on-the road" internet access. Can you share how your system works as a "hotspot"? To many buzz words on this electronic "stuff"! Thanks in advance.

001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #43

I just received my ENS202 and Cisco Linksys 2500 from Amazon today!
I should be able to get it all installed this weekend.
Thanks to everyone for the advise and configurations.

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001952119 View Post
Greyhawk885: I am NEW to the "on-the road" internet access. Can you share how your system works as a "hotspot"? To many buzz words on this electronic "stuff"! Thanks in advance.
First of all, not all phones have the ability to serve as a Wi-Fi hot spot. I have an iPhone 5s which does. It works like any other Wi-Fi you can connect to. I go into the iPhone's Settings and turn it on, and the network's name will display on the device you want to connect. you enter the password that's displayed on the iPhone into the device and you're you're connected.

I like it because I can use the Internet anywhere I can reach a cell tower and it's far more secure than using a public Wi-Fi. Plus it's much more consistent in speed.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #45

So I did exactly as I had planned and bought the Bear Extender. I would say that it worked okay, but not great. The issue was that it's USB attached, so the host computer had to basically remain stationary. Additionally, since the antenna was inside, it doesn't get as good a signal as if it were outside. When Bear Extender stopped supporting the model I bought, I decided to go the Wireless Bridge route.

So I picked up the ENH202. And while it's more than 3 clicks it does work very nicely. I don't have it hooked up on the camper yet, but the testing at home is awesome. Basic steps:
1. Plug ENH202 into the laptop and turn off the wireless.
2. Reset ENH202, then access it at 192.168.1.1.
3. Enter network settings and select DHCP (click apply)
4. Enter wireless and scan
5. Select network
6. select apply
7. save and reboot ENH202
8. move ethernet cable to router input.

While it seems like a lot, it really isn't and can be done in a couple of minutes. I think that this will certainly give faster internet speeds while at the CG's
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
S

So I picked up the ENH202. And while it's more than 3 clicks it does work very nicely. I don't have it hooked up on the camper yet, but the testing at home is awesome.
When you have it hooked up in your TT, you should only have to turn everything on, access your ENH202 from your tablet/smart phone..., scan for networks, select the one with the best signal and log off... everything else should stay the same between the ENH202, your Wi-Fi router and your wireless toys.

Don

I will admit that the initial setup can be tricky... but it is a walk in the park after that.. even DW can do it and she is not a gadget person.
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #47

I was mistaken, it was an ENS202 which I got. It's basically a slimmed down version of the ENH202 with slightly less range. In any event, I ended up returning it. During my testing, the performance was extremely inconsistent to the point where it would work beautifully, but then not work at all. I tried from various locations within my home but it just would stop communicating with the AP (an Apple Airport Extreme). So back in the box it went. Nt sure if I'll give the ENH202 a shot or go with another bridge. I like the idea though.
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
First of all, not all phones have the ability to serve as a Wi-Fi hot spot. I have an iPhone 5s which does. It works like any other Wi-Fi you can connect to. I go into the iPhone's Settings and turn it on, and the network's name will display on the device you want to connect. you enter the password that's displayed on the iPhone into the device and you're you're connected.

I like it because I can use the Internet anywhere I can reach a cell tower and it's far more secure than using a public Wi-Fi. Plus it's much more consistent in speed.
An Android phone pretty much works the same. I have a Samsung S4 and it has an app icon called (wouldn't you know) "Mobile Hot Spot." When you click on the icon, it pretty much tells you what to do, including the password. I have conflicting information on whether to have the smartphone plugged in to the charger or not. When it is not, you may see your battery go down faster than normal; so having it plugged in may avert that. The Samsung rep. at Best Buy said that it really didn't matter that much. You should, however, turn off the Hot Spot when you are not using it or it will run down the battery.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #49

If u have the data plan to support it, using the phone as a hotspot is the easiest way. Works great for me wherever I might be
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #50
Site Team

The only feature I can't seem to set on the iPhone is turning off broadcasting the SSID (that's the Wi-Fi's name). The default SSID is your first name in possessive case followed by "iPhone" so mine was "Frank's iPhone". I didn't like that so I changed it to the same SSID name as my home Wi-Fi and added an "i" (for iPhone) at the end to make it unique.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT -- 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote