Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #71

[QUOTE=Mustang65;422101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Too many commercial campgrounds will run their WiFi off a business DSL line that only has 12 mbs or worse 8 or 6. This is especially true in rural areas where data services may still be limited.
Then each campsite has at least one device and frequently three or four. And if even a couple of those folks hit YouTube or Netflix and then whole system is toast.
I don't think I've ever had good WiFi at a campground and that's usually just fine with me.

We now spend 4-5-6 months at a time at a campground. Internet is essential to us as we have bill paying... and I need stock market access (to pay for our outings). So, an internet connection is a top priority to me. Most of the campground people are seasonal and they need only basic internet access. Luckily, the CG we are at has 7 AP's and each has 20Mb capabilities. Come the holiday weekends, I do not even try to get on the system. I am working with him to set the main router up to block the Netflix, Apple.... and other streaming sites, that bring the system down to its knees. More and more campgrounds are taking this approach. Also limiting MAC Addresses up to 2Mb streaming rate also.

If I want to watch a movie, I have just under 200 movies that I copied from my home collection to a 2Tb hard drive, plug in the RTaspberry Pi to the TV HDMI and the hard drive and watch them.

When traveling, we would get to a CG and I would select the AP that had the best signal with the least number of users. Currently, with this unit I get 65Mb (between the AP and my unit), without it inside the TT the laptop only gets 3 to 4Mb and the connections drop constantly.

Never had this data issue when all we had was DOS!!!!

Don
Never thought of copying movies to a hard drive. Don't understand the rest you said on how to watch them but will look into it. Great thread. Tired of the people that always chime in about not going camping to use Internet though. We all have our different reasons and I don't see anything wrong with it at the end of a long day outdoors to wind down or if you have inclement weather and are stuck inside. Don't judge. Off my soap box now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #72

The issue I ran into a few weeks back in Myrtle Beach was the wireless signals from all the access points in the campground were very weak when in the 5er. If you stepped outside, the signals/connections were fine.

I'm just going to put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal inside the 5er. Otherwise, we have to use our iPhone hotspots and we can kill our data plan in a few days with my 5 and 9 year old daughters watching Netflix and YouTube on their iPad's and what my wife and I use. So if the campground has wifi with decent speed, I'd rather use theirs than mine.

2016 E-Z-GO Express S4 High Output
Our Blog: www.glampin.life
YouTube: www.youtube.com/GlampinLife
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrailGarage View Post
The issue I ran into a few weeks back in Myrtle Beach was the wireless signals from all the access points in the campground were very weak when in the 5er. If you stepped outside, the signals/connections were fine.

I'm just going to put an antenna on the roof to boost the signal inside the 5er. Otherwise, we have to use our iPhone hotspots and we can kill our data plan in a few days with my 5 and 9 year old daughters watching Netflix and YouTube on their iPad's and what my wife and I use. So if the campground has wifi with decent speed, I'd rather use theirs than mine.
We have a "WIFI Signal Extenders" Social Group (above under Community). A few of the members have these units and share a little information on them.

Don

2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote