Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I was really caught up on making the RV similar to my home. I mean, I have satellite TV, Gas Grill, Microwave etc... and forgot why I bought the thing in the first place, and that is to get away from my home.
Quote:
Sometimes I get caught up in the tech of it with the challenge to be seamless that I forgot I wanted to get away from that in the first place!
As mentioned in an earlier post, we really do not access the actual home-front via remote access all that often (other than the VPN portion of it for secure banking/ordering transactions). It eases the mind to know that it is there, if we need it. We don’t have to wait for neighbors to get home from work, or get them out of bed, to check or do something. If we were only camping for a week-end or week at a time, I do not think that we would care.

The issue comes in as we are camping anywhere from 4 to 6 months straight. It is no longer a weekend getaway with nature; it is a complete change in lifestyle. Your TT becomes one of your 2 long term homes. Throw in a hurricane or two (and you are up in the mountains of Georgia) and a click of the key, puts the mind at ease. A few years back a hurricane uprooted a tree on our property causing it to fall over, taking out our pool (which we did not replace), and ended up leaning on part of the roof (no damage). Had the TT been there, we would have been ordering a new one. Is that why we travel during hurricane season, to protect the TT?

When you are out for 6 months at a time that leaves you a lot of time to sit back, relax, read books and in my case build new electronic projects (The TT is this years victim for a technology upgrade). Being out in the mountains is great, but I am not one that dwells on nature for very long, so we split up our nature visits over the 6 months. We like sitting out under the awning with the Tv on, watching a Tampa Bay Rays ballgame sipping on a glass of wine or can of Pepsi. We can still hear the birds chirping in the background and the crickets making their noises and the butterflies landing next to me. I am a city kid, born and raised on the South-west side of Chicago that is where my roots are (ok Central Florida now). I really enjoy camping ( I guess in my case it is not camping, but an environmental relocation to the unpopulated region in the mountains for an extended period of time), but I also enjoy my hobbies, and using the finished products of my hobby, so I can enjoy camping without the stress of leaving the home unattended for 6 months.

So this is why our Eagle has all the latest and greatest toys. We are both happy with the setup and that is all that really counts. Most campers can not spend as much time away, as we do, so they focus on the isolation and nature.. But after awhile, you will need to fill that time with meaningful things like hobbies, talking on your HAM radio, working on the TT, going to Wal-Mart to people watch or just taking a good long afternoon siesta.

Hey, when you have 6 months away, you can accomplish all the above, have time left over and be HAPPY!

Enjoy!!!
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #22

I think that's the difference and if I were away like you are it's no longer a get away but indeed a second home and needs to be equipped as such. I think that your particular setup is phenomenal and I would love to see it and chat in person if our paths ever cross!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
I think that your particular setup is phenomenal and I would love to see it and chat in person if our paths ever cross!
Maybe next year, health and weather permitting. We are planning an extended trip up to Maine along the east coast. Will have to arrange for a stop over in your area!! I just made a sticky note to include it in our 2015 trip schedule.. or I will never remember...

Don
Old 05-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #24

nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John LLRV View Post
Gonna pick one up myself and I can report on it at a later time.
http://rvaccessorynews.com/2014/03/1...ignal-booster/
Nice unit, but the price is a little high for what it does, especially when you add on the inside Wi-Fi router. The unit is a 600 mWatt unit, which is good, as mine EnGenius EOC5611P is a 500 mWatt unit, and it receives/sends signals over a mile away. Unless you purchase your own Wi-Fi router elsewhere, the package deals (with their Wi-Fi router) are either $499 or $599. I am not pushing any name brand, but there are lot out there that you could get for less than $200 and up to 800 mWatts of power, do the same thing. The security is the same on any of products like these.

I just think you could get more for your dollars, with other systems. But if you do decide to purchase it... keep us informed!

Just my thoughts

Don
Old 05-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #26

Gee..... And I feel guilty just for watchin' TV!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Gee..... And I feel guilty just for watchin' TV!!!
Don't feel guilty, just relaxed.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #28
Lost in the Woods

We use our cell phones with built in wifi hotspot (Sprint is unlimited data if you have simply unlimited plan). If the phone doesn't support this you can download Pdanet to both cell phone and computer and use with a USB cable. Very simple and cheap. The cable came with my phone so I have $0.00 invested. Pdanet is free. No sharing, everybody has their own feed and full speed.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #29

Ok.. installed on my Winegard antenna (since I dont use it anyway, and it allowed me to get higher than the campers in the campground) and what a difference. Posting from it now. I had no signal, now I can stream netflix on the CG wifi. I opted for the $350 version. Really east to install. I changed the name of the domain, and password. It did the rest.

Very happy with the purchase.

(for reference.. http://rvaccessorynews.com/2014/03/1...ignal-booster/)
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #30

John, how does this work where the CG wifi requires a login? My last trip had terrible wifi everywhere I stayed.
Wg5jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #31

Different strokes for different folks. When we or I get away that last thing I want is to be connected and have to answer text, emails, etc., etc...unless I decide to..... and I can do all that with my smart phone. When we get done with the house renovation, I'll be able to monitor the security system status and environment from my smart phone. as well as check security cameras. I'll be able to monitor the HVAC system and adjust it as necessary. When the utility provider replaces or old meter with one of the new smart meters, I'll even be able to monitor utility usage to make sure the next door neighbor hasn't run an extension cord over to my outdoor receptacles again.

I can check my email, stay connected to any social network or my kids or grandkids all at my determination. When I'm out camping, I want to be able to concentrate on fly fishing, plein air painting or sketching, taking photographs for future painting resources or just napping in the hammock....... I had enough of system administration task before I retired. I'm done.
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #32

It would boost any signal you can see. If the CG requires a login, you should only have to enter it once to get connected, then you are on your way.

As for the connection.. DW's job requires her to be able to log in, respond as required. Either give up camping, or get the booster... we choose booster...
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifespalette View Post
Different strokes for different folks. ....
When I'm out camping, I want to be able to concentrate on fly fishing, plein air painting or sketching, taking photographs for future painting resources or just napping in the hammock.......
Ahhhhhh but unlike 99% of the campers out there, we are out camping for almost 6 months out of each year... actually more than 6 months as we head down to the FL Keys for some time in December/January, when the it gets real cold in Central FL (50's). :-)

We stream all our local HOME cable Tv channels (via SlingBox) to the TT , all the security cameras, home control things, and most importantly I use VPN between the TT and my house (Internet access), for a added security. It is all there when I want to see something or if it notifies me that something is not right. In either case it is called EASE of MIND..

The data usage on a cell phone would be cost prohibitive.

This requires a little more bandwidth to accomplish, and the Wi-Fi extender accomplishes that, no matter where I am in the CC or if in a Walmart parking lot.

Our TT is our 2nd home, as we spend 1/2 our life in it now. It is a different camping lifestyle than the week end camping get-a-ways that most everyone does, where the main goal is fishing, sunning, hiking....

But this is our camping lifestyle for now.. and it works for us... but it is not for everyone....

Don
Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post

Pretty much the Ethernet Bridge is your best option. Not sure as to why there is an issue. We get to the camp ground, set up the TT, and then I access the wireless bridge, 3 clicks and it is connected to the CG's AP.

On all the devices (tablets, iPhone, laptops, Slingbox) the TT's Wi-Fi router is already set up and all they have to do is select it from their devices. All the work, as easy as it is, is between the Ethernet Bridge and the CG AP, 3 clicks and its connected. That is unless yours is a little more difficult.

The benefit of the eth.. Bridge is its power, and you can select any of the CG's AP’s, and I usually go for the one with the least number of TT's, which usually gives me the most bandwidth.

I assume that your Ethernet Bridge was a high power one (400mw+), correct? I leave my Bridge unit at about ½ max power for campgrounds. The one campground we normally stay at (believe it or not) has 20Mb on each of its AP’s, most others max out at 10Mb all combined.
So easy even a caveman can do it...well, not me. I just got an enh202 and a cisco/linksys "N" router and have succeeded in getting the ENH202 to connect to a wifi network, and the router seems to like being connected to it, but cannot get the wifi signal to passthrough for internet access. The documentation you get with the EnGenius device is graphically pleasing, but lacks details. One question I have is which mode to select, Client Bridge, Access Point etc. The ENH seems to only be accessible by laptop when plugged into one of the 4 ports of the router, not into the port that normally a modem would input through, but it is the only way I've managed to get settings passed DHCP from the host network to my router. But still no internet.
Can you offer some insights to this, as I'd like to be in the "3 clicks" and running club.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #35
Site Team

[QUOTE=
Can you offer some insights to this, as I'd like to be in the "3 clicks" and running club.[/QUOTE]

Let me get the specs on your unit and I will get back to you. Once you get it up and running all you will have is "3 clicks"

Don
Old 07-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #36

We use our cell as a hotspot. Have unlimited data. Most campgrounds give poor WiFi. At least most we have stayed at.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #37

Good stuff. I'm interested in home monitoring and I'm just a weekender.
Snaporaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #38

got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Let me get the specs on your unit and I will get back to you. Once you get it up and running all you will have is "3 clicks"

Don
I got a responce from Engenius and I needed an IP in a different range in the router, despite the user guide example on page 72. The ENH has 192.168.1.1 (until dhcp assigns another one) and 192.168.0.1 in the router. I'm thinking I'll connect to a network and note the assigned IP on the unit to get into it again.
If you have any tips on use I'd love to hear them.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #39

another device to consider

I have my ENH202 up and running, many thanks to Mustang65 for help and encouragement.
The forum at engenius had this to say about using the ENH202 for RVing:
"Very cool! I also seen people use the EUB9603H 600mW USB adapter with an external antenna. The nice part about the EUB9603H is that all the networks can be seen from the windows utility rather than having to log into the webpage and scan for networks as you need to do with the ENH202."

What little I've looked at this, it has a removable antenna and is only $30 at Amazon.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #40

I am taking notes and about to order the parts and stuff to start this exact project. I am ordering the EnGenius ENH202 right now and a router also. I am a weekend camper and use sprint for cell service. Sprint has limited service where I go at times. Limited.... To say the least hahaha. So I am in need of decent wifi for business work and tv streaming. I like to get away but still have access to technology. Y'all keep posting because I get ideas. Btw I am a contractor so my tt will be cooool eventually
Jonbranham is offline   Reply With Quote