Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #41

Boy you really can get a headache just reading about all this , i think i will just leave my flip phone (emergency use only) in the truck when i camp and listen to nature. Just my two.
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #42

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhawk885 View Post
We use our cell as a hotspot. Have unlimited data. Most campgrounds give poor WiFi. At least most we have stayed at.
Greyhawk885: I am NEW to the "on-the road" internet access. Can you share how your system works as a "hotspot"? To many buzz words on this electronic "stuff"! Thanks in advance.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #43

I just received my ENS202 and Cisco Linksys 2500 from Amazon today!
I should be able to get it all installed this weekend.
Thanks to everyone for the advise and configurations.

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 001952119 View Post
Greyhawk885: I am NEW to the "on-the road" internet access. Can you share how your system works as a "hotspot"? To many buzz words on this electronic "stuff"! Thanks in advance.
First of all, not all phones have the ability to serve as a Wi-Fi hot spot. I have an iPhone 5s which does. It works like any other Wi-Fi you can connect to. I go into the iPhone's Settings and turn it on, and the network's name will display on the device you want to connect. you enter the password that's displayed on the iPhone into the device and you're you're connected.

I like it because I can use the Internet anywhere I can reach a cell tower and it's far more secure than using a public Wi-Fi. Plus it's much more consistent in speed.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #45

So I did exactly as I had planned and bought the Bear Extender. I would say that it worked okay, but not great. The issue was that it's USB attached, so the host computer had to basically remain stationary. Additionally, since the antenna was inside, it doesn't get as good a signal as if it were outside. When Bear Extender stopped supporting the model I bought, I decided to go the Wireless Bridge route.

So I picked up the ENH202. And while it's more than 3 clicks it does work very nicely. I don't have it hooked up on the camper yet, but the testing at home is awesome. Basic steps:
1. Plug ENH202 into the laptop and turn off the wireless.
2. Reset ENH202, then access it at 192.168.1.1.
3. Enter network settings and select DHCP (click apply)
4. Enter wireless and scan
5. Select network
6. select apply
7. save and reboot ENH202
8. move ethernet cable to router input.

While it seems like a lot, it really isn't and can be done in a couple of minutes. I think that this will certainly give faster internet speeds while at the CG's
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
S

So I picked up the ENH202. And while it's more than 3 clicks it does work very nicely. I don't have it hooked up on the camper yet, but the testing at home is awesome.
When you have it hooked up in your TT, you should only have to turn everything on, access your ENH202 from your tablet/smart phone..., scan for networks, select the one with the best signal and log off... everything else should stay the same between the ENH202, your Wi-Fi router and your wireless toys.

Don

I will admit that the initial setup can be tricky... but it is a walk in the park after that.. even DW can do it and she is not a gadget person.
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #47

I was mistaken, it was an ENS202 which I got. It's basically a slimmed down version of the ENH202 with slightly less range. In any event, I ended up returning it. During my testing, the performance was extremely inconsistent to the point where it would work beautifully, but then not work at all. I tried from various locations within my home but it just would stop communicating with the AP (an Apple Airport Extreme). So back in the box it went. Nt sure if I'll give the ENH202 a shot or go with another bridge. I like the idea though.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
First of all, not all phones have the ability to serve as a Wi-Fi hot spot. I have an iPhone 5s which does. It works like any other Wi-Fi you can connect to. I go into the iPhone's Settings and turn it on, and the network's name will display on the device you want to connect. you enter the password that's displayed on the iPhone into the device and you're you're connected.

I like it because I can use the Internet anywhere I can reach a cell tower and it's far more secure than using a public Wi-Fi. Plus it's much more consistent in speed.
An Android phone pretty much works the same. I have a Samsung S4 and it has an app icon called (wouldn't you know) "Mobile Hot Spot." When you click on the icon, it pretty much tells you what to do, including the password. I have conflicting information on whether to have the smartphone plugged in to the charger or not. When it is not, you may see your battery go down faster than normal; so having it plugged in may avert that. The Samsung rep. at Best Buy said that it really didn't matter that much. You should, however, turn off the Hot Spot when you are not using it or it will run down the battery.

docmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #49

If u have the data plan to support it, using the phone as a hotspot is the easiest way. Works great for me wherever I might be
Old 02-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #50
Site Team

The only feature I can't seem to set on the iPhone is turning off broadcasting the SSID (that's the Wi-Fi's name). The default SSID is your first name in possessive case followed by "iPhone" so mine was "Frank's iPhone". I didn't like that so I changed it to the same SSID name as my home Wi-Fi and added an "i" (for iPhone) at the end to make it unique.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #51

I have just purchased a Engenius ENH202 for my TT which is parked at a seasonal site. We can not get any TV channels so watching the local news is not possible. Our CC internet wifi is good at times and poor at other times so I'm hoping that this will keep it more consistent. I'm not techie so I may need some assistance setting this up!

The campground has wired AP in the camp ground and having the ability to choose the less used one would be great. Looking forward to having the ability to watch a movie on a bad weather day. The Sling box idea seems fantastic as well.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #52

Do you know if the issue is with the signal strength to the AP? If the issue is with the backhaul, connection from the AP through router and to internet, then a Wifi booster will not help.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I have just purchased a Engenius ENH202 for my TT which is parked at a seasonal site. We can not get any TV channels so watching the local news is not possible. Our CC internet wifi is good at times and poor at other times so I'm hoping that this will keep it more consistent. I'm not techie so I may need some assistance setting this up!

The campground has wired AP in the camp ground and having the ability to choose the less used one would be great. Looking forward to having the ability to watch a movie on a bad weather day. The Sling box idea seems fantastic as well.
RedHorse1 just installed his ENH202 unit:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ifi-28085.html

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend that you take the unit into the house and set it up there and it will be ready when you hit the road. I am spoiled as the CC we stay at is set up for 25Mb from each AP, it think there are 7 AP's. For the SlingBox to work you only need 4Mb, but the picture will not be the best quality at that data rate.

Keep us informed as to how it is going.

Like you mentioned, picking the least used AP is great. I usually set the units Tx/RX settings to the max and work my way down. We have the SlingBox Solo at home so DW can watch all her recorded shows in the TT and I get to watch the TB Rays ball games, along with the Hurricane forecasts.

So, what have I added to the TT for this year's 3 month vacation? Since I am a late night person, I built a A Raspberry Pi2 Media Center running KODI (LINUX OS) with Wi-Fi connectivity. I copied all my DVD's (183) to a 3TB portable hard drive in MAKE MKV format and they play great. I also have about 50 music CD's copied to the HD. There are a lot of Internet TV programs, music programs that it links to... The Raspberry Pi 2, inside the case is about 4"x2" case with HDMI output, 4USB ports.. (2 are used for mouse/kybd, and wireless Wi-Fi), RJ45 Internet Connection, Audio jack, the nice part is that it is powered off of the Tv's USB port... AND A 40 pin interface for sensors and other inputs/outputs... so let the fun begin. After the vacation is over, I will move it back into the house.

It would be great for the kids on those RAINY days.

Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B - ARMv7 with 1G RAM ID: 2358 - $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Don
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
RedHorse1 just installed his ENH202 unit:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ifi-28085.html

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend that you take the unit into the house and set it up there and it will be ready when you hit the road. I am spoiled as the CC we stay at is set up for 25Mb from each AP, it think there are 7 AP's. For the SlingBox to work you only need 4Mb, but the picture will not be the best quality at that data rate.

Keep us informed as to how it is going.

Like you mentioned, picking the least used AP is great. I usually set the units Tx/RX settings to the max and work my way down. We have the SlingBox Solo at home so DW can watch all her recorded shows in the TT and I get to watch the TB Rays ball games, along with the Hurricane forecasts.

So, what have I added to the TT for this year's 3 month vacation? Since I am a late night person, I built a A Raspberry Pi2 Media Center running KODI (LINUX OS) with Wi-Fi connectivity. I copied all my DVD's (183) to a 3TB portable hard drive in MAKE MKV format and they play great. I also have about 50 music CD's copied to the HD. There are a lot of Internet TV programs, music programs that it links to... The Raspberry Pi 2, inside the case is about 4"x2" case with HDMI output, 4USB ports.. (2 are used for mouse/kybd, and wireless Wi-Fi), RJ45 Internet Connection, Audio jack, the nice part is that it is powered off of the Tv's USB port... AND A 40 pin interface for sensors and other inputs/outputs... so let the fun begin. After the vacation is over, I will move it back into the house.

It would be great for the kids on those RAINY days.

Raspberry Pi 2 - Model B - ARMv7 with 1G RAM ID: 2358 - $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Don
Don thanks.

I will get the unit in about 8 days or so. I ordered it from Amazon.com.

I will set it up at home and then take it to the trailer as per your advice. The signal I get currently at the trailer is ok, but I know that the access point located at the area of the open sites for rentals would have very few trailers hooked up to it as it would only have an average of 6 or so trailers there at any given time as the CC is more locally used and people generally stay for a night while traveling across Canada.

The CC updated their internet as they hard wired all of the access points. I was able to stream video on you tube this weekend with only the odd interrupt of the stream. Last year I could not do this. I think that me using the set up that you and a few others have will enhance the signal and would allow me to get the signal required to purchase a sling box.

I will be retiring in a few years as well, so investing in this set up will allow me to have my local stations available to me while on the road...without the cost of a satellite dish and receiver.

I do not have the technical ability at this point to set up things like you have but I'm a quick study!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:12 PM   #55

I just bought a Engenius EUB9603H to hopefully give me some extended range. I am tired of having to move around in my unit to get the WIFI to work when I am work camping. The reason I went with this vs the above was primarily for ease of use since it is windows controlled through the USB and portable. Most of the time I use my laptop and that is my primary reason for the need to be connected. The MIFI is good, but I don't use it enough and Verizon is killing me on fees.
The EUB9603H gets good reviews and has the option for an external antenna to reach further distance. While I do not expect it to be at the caliber of some of you above, it should get me what I need when I need it. Also I can take it with me while traveling for work or pleasure which is also a huge plus for me. That is where I need it 90% of the time.
I will report after using it in the coming weeks. Tough to find one of these, but lucked out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
Also I can take it with me while traveling for work or pleasure which is also a huge plus for me. That is where I need it 90% of the time.
I will report after using it in the coming weeks. Tough to find one of these, but lucked out.
I used to travel doing hospital audits along the Florida east coast and California. I would pull into a major motel parking lot and use their Wi-Fi signals, same for McDonald's, Starbucks..... Worked GREAT. Looking forward, I would look into the external antenna for your unit. We are spoiled now...

Don
Old 06-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #57

Update on my EUB9603H. Fairly easy install and use. The unit can switch between password protected AP and station use which I like. I went out to my unit this AM to test the AP feature with my ROKU and it worked great. Pulled my house signal in which my ROKU could never do due to the distance. I was able to get a stream in there on Netflix and surf the web with my laptop at the same time. I can see where an external antenna would be benneficial and have a few ideas on where I might mount one, but that will be after a trial run with it on my upcoming trip as is.

I can walk around the property and have a minimum 90% signal at 100+ feet with three walls in between. Never had that kind of coverage before. So overall I am happy with my purchase and this should solve my WIFI issues on the laptop giving me more freedom when traveling.

This unit needs 2 free USB's to work as an FYI.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #58

I have one question on all of this. It sounds like a great idea, and Im sure I can make it work...but how do you handle going to campgrounds that require you to actually authenticate through a browser to get external DNS? Any CG I have been to gives you a code, 1 per device as needed, you connect to the wireless network detected, yeah you see a signal, but you need to open IE or Chrome to get to their guest page to sign in.
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #59
Site Team

I have yet been to any CG that restricted you to one connection, but with the extended Wi-Fi your TT's wireless router will be your single connection and each of your other Wi-Fi devices will connect through it and be transparent to the AP/server. They usually use the mac address to isolate a single device.
Don
Old 08-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #60

I was at a campground this year that had separate codes for each device