Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

RV Storage 110 AC Shore Power GFI Keeps Tripping after a period of time??

The RV Storage place I use supplies GFI 110 AC outlets for the covered storage spaces so people can maintain their batteries at full charge.

When I plug my 2018 Jay Flight SLX 212QBW 30 amp cable via a Camco 30AMP Female to 15AMP Male Dogbone to the GFI outlet everything seems fine. When I return a day or so later the GFI has tripped. To plug in I first turn the main breaker off in the trailer, then plug the dogbone into the outlet, then plug the 30 amp shore power cable into the dogbone, then turn the main breaker in the trailer back on. It does not trip immediately when I reset and plug back in using the procedure above or even within a few hours.

I've tried turning off all the breakers and then turning them back on one at a time and none of them trip the GFI on the outlet as I turn them back on. I check for moisture but don't see any plus it has been 90 degree highs and the trailer is under cover.

Besides the usual storage loads, I am running an added on Progressive Dynamics 9245C to maintain/charge my batteries (2 X260Ahours 6 volt Deep Cycle GC - Trojan T-145s) rather than the WFCO 30 AMP charger/converter. The charger breaker on the WFCO 30 AMP Power Unit is kept turned off.

I also have 360Watts of roof mounted solar panels with a Victron 50AMP MPPT Solar Charge/Controller connected to the batteries and panels. I don't disconnect the solar controller at any time even when plugged into shore power.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot the GFI tripping or what may be causing it?? If it was a ground fault wouldn't the GFI trip right away when I try to plug in or at least within the first hour or so??

Since I'm not using the trailer while at the storage place I'm not placing any additional loads from using the microwave or watching TV, water heater, refrigerator, etc wouldn't it trip right away if I was overloading the circuit??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #2

Try disconnecting the solar it could be backfeeding the GFI, you don't need it as long as you are on 110 anyway.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #3

If it is a 15amp gfi it could be tripping because of a overloaded circuit and not a ground fault. You need to measure your current draw and see if there is any other outlets on that circuit. If the battery has a issue it could be creating a significant current draw while charging.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
If it is a 15amp gfi it could be tripping because of a overloaded circuit and not a ground fault. You need to measure your current draw and see if there is any other outlets on that circuit. If the battery has a issue it could be creating a significant current draw while charging.
Or it could be as simple as a faulty GFI outlet. Are any of the other customers have the same problem. Ask the storage owner to change out the outlet.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:15 AM   #5

A GFI will not trip due to an overload. It's not unusual for a GFI to trip when an RV is plugged into it. Working in campgrounds we can have a site that works great for a number of Rv's but then another one will keep tripping the GFI. Any small issue with the ground on the RV will cause it.. It's not anything to do with an overload, a GFI only detects a ground fault. Your inverter or any number of other items could cause this to trip. I would remove the GFI receptacle and replace it with a standard grounded plug.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
A GFI will not trip due to an overload. It's not unusual for a GFI to trip when an RV is plugged into it. Working in campgrounds we can have a site that works great for a number of Rv's but then another one will keep tripping the GFI. Any small issue with the ground on the RV will cause it.. It's not anything to do with an overload, a GFI only detects a ground fault. Your inverter or any number of other items could cause this to trip. I would remove the GFI receptacle and replace it with a standard grounded plug.
It will...try overloading one . Excellent advice on removing the code required outdoor outlet !
Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

Could be your 30amp to 120volt outlet adapter. I've seen these go bad not grounding properly.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Or it could be as simple as a faulty GFI outlet. Are any of the other customers have the same problem. Ask the storage owner to change out the outlet.
X-2
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Quote:
It will...try overloading one . Excellent advice on removing the code required outdoor outlet !
A GFCI will not trip because of an amperage overload...it's not a breaker. It is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It trips when it detects voltage in a ground... a ground fault. Because an RV is only grounded through the cord, (unlike a house which is typically grounded to a water pipe) if there is any problem with the ground wire, ie a loose connection etc or a neutral connected to the ground wire, you can get a ground fault.. Again it will NOT detect or trip because of an overload...

Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
A GFCI will not trip because of an amperage overload...it's not a breaker. It is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It trips when it detects voltage in a ground... a ground fault. Because an RV is only grounded through the cord, (unlike a house which is typically grounded to a water pipe) if there is any problem with the ground wire, ie a loose connection etc or a neutral connected to the ground wire, you can get a ground fault.. Again it will NOT detect or trip because of an overload...
I know what a gfi is & what it does and how it does it. I never stated it to be a overcurrent device. It will trip when overloaded. Not because it detects any fault or overcurrent . It simply trips because of a overload .
Old 07-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
I know what a gfi is & what it does and how it does it. I never stated it to be a overcurrent device. It will trip when overloaded. Not because it detects any fault or overcurrent . It simply trips because of a overload .
That is wrong... the circuit breaker would trip...a GFCI does not detect current...it ONLY detects ground FAULTS... Sorry..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:27 PM   #12

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarc...1~20020102.htm

Read the next to last sentence, this does happen from time to time...this could cause the issue, when that circuit energizes.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

GFI's will trip when there's a current imbalance between the hot/neutral as this is intended to prevent electrocution. High draw motors can create this situation. GFI's do not contain any over current device.

Edit: Sorry wags, didn't read your post.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
That is wrong... the circuit breaker would trip...a GFCI does not detect current...it ONLY detects ground FAULTS... Sorry..
Look...I'm not going to chase this pissing match. I've seen it more than once in 20+ yrs in the electrical field. I never claimed it to be any sort of overcurrent protection . If you overload it tme and time again it will trip. Probably due to a internal failure not the actual overcurrent. If the owner used 15 amp gfi on a 20 amp breaker there's the possibility of overloading the outlet without tripping the breaker. I thank you for the education...and always trying to dismiss a valid opinion. Please direct all electrical concerns to waggs999 he has the only logical answer. Again I never stated it to be a overcurrent device in case you missed that in the last 3 posts.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #15

do you know if every outlet in the storage area is on a dedicated circuit ? if not it might not be your rv causing the problem
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #16

I'm not sure if they are each on a dedicated circuit but will ask the managers.

Thanks to everybody for your responses, they have given me some things to try and consider.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #17

Following this one.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #18

GFCIs do not play well being plugged into a GFCI outlet. On my rig either the storage lot GFCI outlet or my internal GFCI breaker would trip. I put in a new GFCI breaker in my rig and problem solved. I'm sure it has to do with tolerances. Someone on another forum did a test by purchasing 10 different new GFCI breakers. Installed them one at a time and some would trip and some would not.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote