Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We travel with our refrigerator running on propane. We've never had a problem. You are required to shut off propane in many tunnels.
I've had my 5'r for about 2 years now and this is the first I've heard about turning LPG OFF when driving through a tunnel. We've been through a couple small tunnels but I don't recall seeing any signs about it on the road.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:23 AM   #42

Ah yes the annual propane on/off discussion. Do a google search on rv fires. Decide for yourself.

https://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:47 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
I've had my 5'r for about 2 years now and this is the first I've heard about turning LPG OFF when driving through a tunnel. We've been through a couple small tunnels but I don't recall seeing any signs about it on the road.
The no gas allowed, or no open propane bottles is largely here in the east, and it's mostly for tunnels that go under a body of water. In those situations, the road surface goes down and then goes back up on the other side of the bay, or river, etc.

I guess there is a fear of the heavier than air propane collected at the bottom of the tunnel.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
Ah yes the annual propane on/off discussion. Do a google search on rv fires. Decide for yourself.

https://youtu.be/HJMTQWWoMSw
I've seen this video brought up repeatedly over the last couple of years. And frankly I call "bull" on the video. (not you)

He completely ignores the fact that our RV regulators have a flow limiting device that almost completely shuts off the flow of LP gas in the event of a sudden pressure drop. And the big green plastic connector has a thermal sensing bushing that actually closes the line in the event of a fire.

My own evaluation is that catastrophic LP gas fires are far less likely in an accident than a gasoline or diesel fuel leak and resulting potential fire. AFAIK gasoline is far more volatile than LP gas.

Ultimately it's your choice, but let's be careful not to spread misinformation.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #45

Even mythbysters could not get propane to explode or even ignite even when full tanks were **** with tracker rounds. They finally got it to explode o my when they used explosives to blow the tank apart.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If you read the links I had posted, you will see it is extremely difficult to cause a tank to leak.. IF the tanks were open, once a hose is cut the value will automatically turn off.. it won't allow free flowing propane. But even if the tank leaked, the mixture of air to propane has to be between 2% and 9 % (rounded) higher or lower propane will not ignite. Propane is NOT gasoline, it is a very stable product. If your vehicle was powered by propane... what would you do then? A rear end collision has a MUCH greater chance of the gasoline tank igniting than the propane tank leaking and igniting. I suggest you read the links on propane and propane safety, it may relieve some anxiety about traveling with propane tanks on.

Happy Camping !
Wags, yes I had read all your info and thank you for all your instructional input. I was going to refer to them in my comment as in : "despite air mix and specialty valves", but deleted for more brevity. Shouldn't have. But thank you.
Grumpy's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #47

This has been brought up a few times in the forum. It seems like it's discussing Ford vs Chevy.

I've run both on and off propane, but after thinking about it, I don't pull up to the pumps with my fridge on.

So, How many times have you seen someone smoking at the pumps fueling, nothing happens (luckily)..now you have the fridge running on propane and pulling into a fuel station, you don't have cigarette, you actually have an open flame in the side of your RV.

Few points, the flammable mix is between 2 and 9%... not a big range, but where in the cloud(vapors) is that mix... as the cloud moves past a ignition point, it will hit that range.

Next, same for gasoline, if the right vapor cloud mix hits the ignition source, we have an impressive fire. Also did you know the liquid gasoline itself is not flammable, if you can get a match into the liquid, it will go out.... however, the vapors off the evaporating gasoline are so volatile, you can't get the match/flame or ignition source past the vapors into the liquid, it ignites the vapors well before it gets to the liquid. After the initial whooff/boom, the fire burns just off the surface of the liquid on the vapors being released.
So you're fueling at a gas station, you can smell the fumes, where exactly is they combustion point and will the wind blow a bit?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #48

Interesting watch...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driving, propane