Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1

Satellite connection issue

Ok here it is. I have a 2012 Seneca 36FK with Winegard In-Motion Satellite installed. Can't get the Directv receiver to show up on the tvs.

Have connected the Roof Sat input LNB 1 to the HR24 DTV receiver which is connected to a RF modulator (because this unit only has RCA or S-Video or HDMI out) for my coax out then to the Aux/Sat.

My Jensen tvs only have Air/Cable with sources of TV/AV1/AV2/HDMI1/HDMI2. Nothing I do seems to make the DTV receiver show up on any TV. This is so frustrating for an engineer..esp since I can't see thru walls to see how they wired this thing. Any help would be great!
mstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:51 AM   #2

When I was using the SAT stuff a few years back i found it much easier to use the VIDEO OUTPUTs from the SAT RECEIVER I brought with me from the house and routed this to a VIDEO INPUT on the trailer HDTV set. After the NATIONAL BROADCAST switched to full blown high def digital TV from the local towns I stopped bringing along my SAT TV stuff...

Using the older SAT DISH setups I routed two RG cables from the two SAT DISH connections into two different SAT Receivers one located for the front TV set and the other for the bedroom TV setup. Then used the VIDEO OUTPUT connection from each SAT RCVR to the HDTV setup. Did not disturb any of the trailer TV wiring for the CABLE/OTA setups.

When in use I just select CABLE/OTA TV to watch standard TV signals then switch to VID1 to watch SAT TV. All with my TV remotes... Never leave my easy chair...

I haven't used the CH 3/4 modulator thing in years now...

Others probably did it differently haha... It was a keep it simple hookup for me...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

There are many answers to the ? depending on what you have and are trying to do. First I would suggest you upgrade to the current sat receiver and dish equipment. I recently upgraded my dish system from SD to HD using a Turbo HD 1000.4 dish. connect to the main tv using an HDMI cable directly from the receiver to the HD tv. My receiver does not have a coax output so route the component output thru a 3/4 modulator and then connect the coax output from the modulator to the TT internal wiring to send the sat signal to the bedroom tv. Can get over the air in the bedroom using the roof ant. Get everything on the main tv via the sat signal. I reset my home location with a simple call to Dish once I get to my long term destination down south so that I can get networks as well as the sat stuff all on the sat input.

If all you want is over the air stuff, just connect all tvs to the internal wiring and you're good to go. Trial and error is the best solution. When you're bored, go out in the tt and try different stuff. If you have an idea give it a go. If it works, document what you did. If it doesn't, make a note so you won't try that again.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Thanks Roy. The problem is that my RV is pre-wired for all 4 tvs so there is only 1 set of in coax connections (LNB1 and LNB2) and 1 set of out coax connections (TV and Sat/Aux). I wish it was as simple as 1 tv. I am constantly off my couch either turning the tv amp on or off. It requires getting up in the cab bunk, moving the tv, and pushing a button....arrrgghhh Maybe I will get it fixed before the holidays.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

Thanks Bassdogs. I have the latest HD-DVR receiver that Direct tv puts out so that isn't my issue. It just doesn't have coax out. They want you to do hdmi out and the RV was only cabled with coax out. The reason for the mod. I still trouble shooting. I guess worst case I take it to a jayco dealer and get them to fix the issue.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstech View Post
Thanks Bassdogs. I have the latest HD-DVR receiver that Direct tv puts out so that isn't my issue. It just doesn't have coax out. They want you to do hdmi out and the RV was only cabled with coax out. The reason for the mod. I still trouble shooting. I guess worst case I take it to a jayco dealer and get them to fix the issue.
My VIP211z had the same issue [no coax output]. Used the RCA 3 plug output jacks to a 3/4 modulator that then provides the coax to the TT wiring connection. Think that is the best and possibly only solution without some serious modifications to the TT wiring. I had some serious discussions with Jayco factory techs and got nowhere. Found the solution by reading blogs on line.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #7

DId you refresh your channel list to pick up the reciever??