Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

satellite connection problem

The dish people told me to remove any splitters that may be in coax line coming into the camper are there any and if so where are they located 2012 jayco jay feather 30'
sport2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Are you hooking up a portable satellite? I ran two tv's off of one roof mounted satellite. The only thing was you had to watch the same thing on both tv's. I would think that if the splitter comes before the receiver that would be more of a problem. We had a Winegard switch box in our motorhome and that did not effect the satellite signal. I would think that the switch box functioned like a splitter. We discontinued our satellite service as we went through several receivers and 2 power supplies for our system. The tech kept saying that the receivers aren't meant to be driven down the road.

Fred
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Satellite will not work if you are splitting the signal anywhere between the dish and the receiver. We have a DirecTV roof mounted dish, and we use a HD DVR. We split the signal between the two TV's on the "output" of the DVR and that will work fine if you are trying to connect multiple television's. Not sure what the tech was telling Bird Dawg, we've been using DirecTV in our trailer for the last five years and we've never once had an issue with our receivers. I will say that when we connect the signal from an external source, and use the cable input port on the outside of the TT, I unscrewed the "12-volt outlet/cable port" all in one unit from the wall and by passed the splitter they have inside the "12-volt outlet/cable port" combo. Let me know if that last sentence makes sense or not and I'm happy to go take a quick pic of it and post it for you if it may help you out.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #4

thanks that is what i wanted to know
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #5

Big Sky our receivers were from Dish Network and not Direct TV. We even purchased the protection plan on the receivers as we had so many problems with them. We had Camping World do the install and I was surprised that we also went through 2 power units. On our current 5er, we opted for the King Jack HD antennae instead and have been very happy with it. I really like the lack of a monthly satellite bill. Since we weren't using Dish at the house, our bill was running $65.00 a month for two receivers. It started to add up real quick.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

Sounds like that was the way to go then. Sorry to hear you had to go through such a painful and costly experience to get there. Since we use multiple DVR's in house we take one out to the TT for the Summer. I use the "whole home" set up and connect the TT to the house dish while parked next to the garage. That way the DVR will continue to record and add content for us to view when a signal is not available in our campsites. Trees often block our signal. We bring the televisions into the house for the Winter and that gives me multiple screen viewing for the football season. :-)

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

mine is a dish tailgater 7 dallars a mounth it works great NOW
Old 02-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Wish I could have Dish or Direct for our home. We had them but could not get good internet. Our local phone company has a package where we get phone, internet and TV over the phone line. The internet is a lot faster and cheaper with the package but we had to take the TV with it. I was sorry to see Direct TV go but it just wasn't worth it at the house.

If we did go back to a satellite, I would not go with a stationary one on the roof. Half of the time, we could not get a signal because of the trees at the campgrounds. I think the best way to go is with a portable satellite if you have the room to store it.

Fred
Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #9

If you only have one cable coming into your unit and you want to split the signal to two TV's get an A-B switch. It is a manual switch that allows you to send your signal to different locations with out a lot of extra cable runs or signal loss. Use it like splitter from a cable system hookup.
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote