Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #1

Satellite install question

Will be connecting Direct TV to 5th wheel using their Single Wire Multi-Switch(SWM). I have a few question that I need help with and I do have the AV wiring diagram from Jayco. Looking for other who have installed Direct TV this way and their experiences. Satellite will connnect to exterior port, removed jumper from "A" port, connect coax from "A" port to SWM. From here, do I connect from SWM to "B" port which feeds signal to the 12-volt DC outlet plate? On the back side of this plate is where the coax from the antenna comes in, also it sends signal to the coax cable connection above the 12-volt DC outlet and to the front of the 5th wheel. From here I should connect coax from connection above 12-volt DC plug to satellite box, from box to TV via HDMI cable?? The coax going to the front from the back side of the 12-volt DC plate has a splitter that sends signal to bedroom TV and storage bay connection. Does this splitter need to be replaced with SWM splitter? Now, if I want to use antenna for over the air broadcast on one night trips instead of setting up satellite, is there anything that needs to be disconnected and hooked up another way for this work?? Using the booster for this will not hurt anything, will it?? All responses will be appreciated as this is a learing curve for me. Thanks
LA Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #2

My system is: Slimline Dish with SWM LNB to Sat In connection on my 5'er. On the inside: Sat In connection to SWM Power Inserter, to SWM Splitter. One split signal to the rear DVR and the other split signal to the front DVR. You can not have the signal booster in this circuit at all.
Since My over the air antenna is disconnected I can't comment on how I did it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #3

I think this is what you are asking for:

1. Satellite dish connects to the outside receptacle.
2. Port "A" connects to "satellite" on the receiver.
3. "TV" on the receiver goes to port "B".

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

To answer your question, no, you don't hook it up that way. I am going to assume you have the same hookups as in my 5er, a single cable/sat connector on the exterior and a jumper cable on the interior plate that for satellite you need to disconnect. Without going outside to check, I believe the A port (top port) is where you would hook up the power inserter cable and a cable from it to your sat rcvr. I have the switch installed at the dish as I need to run a separate cable into the bedroom and it is more convenient there. Connect your TV to the rcvr with a HDMI cable (assuming HD as using a SWM for a SD rcvr would be a PITA). The antenna port on the plate should be connected to the TV antenna connector. Nothing goes into the B port. I just leave the jumper cable there so it doesn't get lost. You use that jumper cable to connect the 2 ports so if you have cable TV available, it will feed the exterior connection to the antenna input on your TV.
Use your input selector on your TV to choose between the TV antenna and whatever input you use for the sat.

HTH.
retired IT tech
iowahank is offline   Reply With Quote