Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #1

Satellite reception in Yellowstone Park

We own a 2006 Granite Ridge 3100SS.

We are taking a 3 week trip to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone. At this time our RV has the factory installed antenna. We would like to install a Satellite dish and had inquired at the local dealership. We have Dish at home so I asked for a Dish product. Installed it will run $2k. We have decided to pass on the in motion model and are now looking at a tailgate model.

I am wondering if I will receive reception in the park and what kind of tailgate receiver I should choose.
lorrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

It seems like 2K$ is a lot of money for a portable Dish. I'm getting the automatic roof mounted winegard Traveller DirectTV unit installed for half of that . I don't think there is a whole lot of installation involved for the portables and that other than connecting it to your satellite wiring and setting it up, it's pretty much a turnkey system... I'm sure someone else with actual experience will chime in. I've seen them used and talked to owners in the parks, everyone seems to like their systems.

Yellowstone is a wonderful place.. Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #3

We use the Dish tailgater. We mount it to our ladder. It goes up and comes back down in only a matter of minutes, with no tools required.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...unt-23308.html
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #4

I'm not familiar with auto aiming dishes or with Dish Network, but I have set up my manual aiming DirecTV dish many times. The reception in Yellowstone will be about the same as anywhere in the continental US. That is, if your system is working and aimed correctly and you have a line of sight to the satellites then you will receive a picture. The line of sight is often a difficult issue in areas that are in heavy tree cover. One way to cope with this issue is to have your dish, whether auto or manual, on a long lead so you can take the dish to a place with line of sight to the appropriate satellites.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #5

Check for other recent threads about this for a lot of good input. For Dish the best alternatives are the tailgater or the more current model. The absolute best is the Wingard Pathway 2x. Both are portable which is better than the roof mounted ones because you have much greater site selection and a lot more options to set up the dish to avoid trees etc.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #6

As said before, it will depend on where your camping and the tree cover. We have stayed in many parks where you could not get satellite since the tree cover was too dense. The portable dish will give you much more flexibility. Same with Rushmore. Have a great trip and be sure to make reservations even along the way, were in peak season now and many parks will be sold out.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote