Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #1

Saved By PT50C - Proof

We have had several days of thunderstorms in this area in the past couple of weeks including a tropical storm and during one of them lightning struck a pine tree that was close to a large fresh water line feeding the campground where I am hosting. Per the attached picture this water line lost. The park was without fresh water and the bathhouses were all closed for 2 days. I always fill my fresh tank when I arrive for cases like this so I was ok. Others in the park weren't so lucky and weren't happy.

I don't know if it was related to this particular lighting strike or not, but we had one entire row of sites where the 50 amp service lost a leg. I'm not on this particular circuit, but close and I lost a leg at the same time. It turned out that my EMS PT50C was reading both legs voltage coming in from the pedestal, but it was not passing voltage on one leg to my rig. It seems it protected me from something and died in the process. So I pulled my spare PT50C out of it's box and put it in service (I absolutely will not plug in anywhere without a PT50C). All is well now with both legs being powered normally and the original PT50C is headed back to PI for warranty service. It had been in full time service since April 2012 so thank goodness for the product and also it's lifetime warranty. I had zero damage in my rig.

Update 9-13-2016:

I spoke with PI yesterday and my returned PT50C definitely took a hit on one leg and it was bad enough it couldn't be repaired. So they shipped me a brand new one scheduled to arrive 9-14-2016.

I will put it in service for a week or so to make sure it is in fact working and then put it back in it's box as my new spare. Then my old spare which is working nicely right now will become my new every day unit. Yes I do have 2 PT50C's, one for every day use and one as a spare.

As I have stated many times "I will never plug in anywhere without my PT50C".
Attached Thumbnails
20160905_115659 (Copy).jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Yup, it's one of those things you'll never need until you really NEED it.
The PI folks really have their act dialed in. It comes at a price but worth every penny IMHO. And I'd say Your EMS has earned its keep.
Any of your neighbors report electronic damage?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

An EMS is by far the first thing every RV owner should buy along with a water pressure regulater.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

I still need to get one. I know I'm taking a risk without it. I do have a line tester that I plug in before I connect my camper to shore power, but we all know how limited that is. The PT50 or PT30 in my case.. gave me sticker shock, so I've been putting back 50 bucks a week to save up for it. Knowing they'll just replace it if / when needed makes this the last, and only EMS you'll ever need to buy. That helps with the cost tremendously. Thanks for the reminder of how important this item is.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

Yep, I don't plug in without my PI EMS... it has saved my ac units against low voltage situations...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

one additional note is ... if you get the portable PI unit you can easily transfer it to your new trade in (I did); that makes it even more cost effective.

Q? Was the blue water pipe also replaced under warranty?

EDITED TO ADD: For those unknowing, PI stands for Progressive Industries. They make their EMS units in the USA and provide the above mentioned life-time warranty. They've previously repaired my unit twice, it only cost me one way shipping ($16), twice.

One more note: for warranty you will need your original sales receipt, so hang on to it. I don't know if I could find it again, if needed - but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one from them if need be.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yup, it's one of those things you'll never need until you really NEED it.
The PI folks really have their act dialed in. It comes at a price but worth every penny IMHO. And I'd say Your EMS has earned its keep.
Any of your neighbors report electronic damage?
Only 1 and he left so I don't know how much damage. We were just returning from a weather evacuation and the park was pretty empty which is very unusual for this park especially on a major holiday weekend. It could have been much worse.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 09-15-2016, 04:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
one additional note is ... if you get the portable PI unit you can easily transfer it to your new trade in (I did); that makes it even more cost effective.

Q? Was the blue water pipe also replaced under warranty?

EDITED TO ADD: For those unknowing, PI stands for Progressive Industries. They make their EMS units in the USA and provide the above mentioned life-time warranty. They've previously repaired my unit twice, it only cost me one way shipping ($16), twice.

One more note: for warranty you will need your original sales receipt, so hang on to it. I don't know if I could find it again, if needed - but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one from them if need be.
The water pipe cost the park $15,000 for the repair. Reasons it was so high: It was on Labor Day, It was under 4-5' of water, track hoe required, two water pumps, etc. It was not an easy repair.

They may have changed their policy on original sales receipt for warranty. I wasn't even asked for it. I bought mine from Camping World on a weekend special they had so I got them to send me a copy of the sales receipt via email a couple of years ago. I needed this receipt when I requested a good price direct from PI for my spare unit. They did ask for this original receipt and they did give me a good price for an existing customer and they included freight also. The good news is that if I ever need the original receipt again I have the email one from CW on my laptop and also PI has a record of the one I bought direct from them.