Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #1

Schwintek Slide Systems

Is the Schwintek Slide Systems an engineering mistake? Is it a bad design?

Over 70 RV brands use the Schwintek slide-out system from Lippert. A Schwintek slide is a type of slide-out that’s commonly used on motorhomes and towable RVs. The slide is unique in that it uses some worm gears to make the slide out move in and out of the RV.

There are motors to either side of the slide that help the slide move when you want it to move, and there’s a panel inside the RV that allows you to control the motor. Schwintek slides are generally easy to use and that’s why you’ll find them on a wide variety of RVs out there.
HDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:37 AM   #2

When I was shopping for a new RV that's the first thing I looked for. If it had the Schwintek system I just walked away and look for something else. My current RV has a Rack and Pinon slide out that's been problem free for past 5 years.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #3

Schwintek Slide Systems

Based on reading a lot of complaints about it over the years and having owned a couple of rigs with them, I’d say it’s a decent design when they are installed correctly and used on smaller (i.e., 8’ or smaller) slides.

The bed slide in our current (Entegra Seneca) and previous (Thor Miramar) rigs both seem to operate as you’d expect - go in and out without any groaning, creaking or other signs of stress (well, once I fixed the failing bed roller support issues on the Thor). The larger two slides on our previous rig also used it, and while they worked, it wasn’t anywhere near as comforting when they were in motion. I know others have had no end of problems with them.

After watching a few videos of people disassembling them (check out the “My RV Works” YouTube channel, among others), it appears that failure to properly support the bottom of the slide is one of the biggest install/construction issues.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #4

I also think the Schwintek is best used on small slides. Our ‘13 has one on the bedroom slide and it’s performed very well. Our other 2 slides are big and have the old school Lippert thru-frame mechanisms and they’ve worked fine for the same period.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 09:55 AM   #5

schwintek slide systems

our 2019 class c has schwintek slide unit and has been trouble free. must follow operating instructions exactly like bringing it in and out all the way without stopping the hold button for 5 seconds to sync motors otherwise you will have a problem. works for us. never move it half way and stop.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:18 AM   #6

We have had numerous problems with our Schwintek kitchen slide. I replaced all the screws that hold the frame in, added 4 rollers to the bottom, and made sure it's oiled.

We were fine for most of the recent 2 month trip, then it started jamming again. I can get it going by pushing on the slide as the button is pushed.

I can hear it catching on something, then popping loose and proceeding on.

I'm now convinced that the entire box is moving side to side, and hitting things. I can see a bigger gap on between the gears and the rubber seal on one side.

I need to figure out what keeps the box centered.

(This is not an issue of holding the button when finished- I do that every time)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:04 AM   #7

if it is one side still to me sounds like the side motor is out of sync.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
if it is one side still to me sounds like the side motor is out of sync.
It is physically jamming. I just can't see what it is hitting. Now that we're home I will take more stuff off so I can see what is happening.

Again, understand about syncing issues. Can and do all of the syncing tricks. This is beyond that.
Old 03-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #9

Based on my reading -

I do think it might have worked our better if the SSS was used only on small slide outs.

Sadly the manufactures have pushed it too far, and now folks are suffering with it.
HDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:33 PM   #10

When Schwintek started adding a third sidewall rail on larger slides should tell you that the system is inadequate for large slides.
Old 03-22-2022, 06:17 PM   #11

For those who want to discuss the design of the Schwintek slide system I have attached the In-wall slide out specification document, current name for the Schwintek system, directly from LCI website. Very interesting information and facts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schwintek specs.pdf (276.6 KB, 126 views)
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
We have had numerous problems with our Schwintek kitchen slide. I replaced all the screws that hold the frame in, added 4 rollers to the bottom, and made sure it's oiled.

I'm curious as to what you find out. I can't see your RV type in my crappy android browser, but our 5 er's kitchen slide has been popping off screw heads on the exterior frame / seal area and occasionally makes loud snapping sounds usually when extending. It's going into the dealer for warranty on this issue and the front sidewall trim speration near pinbox which is re occuring, the dealer didn't fix properly.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider View Post
Is the Schwintek Slide Systems an engineering mistake? Is it a bad design?

Over 70 RV brands use the Schwintek slide-out system from Lippert. A Schwintek slide is a type of slide-out that’s commonly used on motorhomes and towable RVs. The slide is unique in that it uses some worm gears to make the slide out move in and out of the RV.

There are motors to either side of the slide that help the slide move when you want it to move, and there’s a panel inside the RV that allows you to control the motor. Schwintek slides are generally easy to use and that’s why you’ll find them on a wide variety of RVs out there.
I have a 2017 Melbourne with a slide. The drivers side has a 30+ inch slide out that only has two tracks on each end. It is not enough to hold the weight and the slide has torn the floor from sagging when it comes in and sags down when it is out. No one wants to correct the problem or even acknowledge that there is a problem. I have noticed that the newer models have 3 tracks but I don't know if that is even going to solve the problem
coarrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarrobert View Post
I have a 2017 Melbourne with a slide. The drivers side has a 30+ inch slide out that only has two tracks on each end. It is not enough to hold the weight and the slide has torn the floor from sagging when it comes in and sags down when it is out. No one wants to correct the problem or even acknowledge that there is a problem. I have noticed that the newer models have 3 tracks but I don't know if that is even going to solve the problem
Make sure all the screws that hold the frame to the outside are ok. Most of mine were broken, replaced with larger ones. Helped a lot.

Also check your rollers underneath the box. I added some rollers to mine, spreads out the weight-you can buy them online.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I'm curious as to what you find out. I can't see your RV type in my crappy android browser, but our 5 er's kitchen slide has been popping off screw heads on the exterior frame / seal area and occasionally makes loud snapping sounds usually when extending. It's going into the dealer for warranty on this issue and the front sidewall trim speration near pinbox which is re occuring, the dealer didn't fix properly.
Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel 28.5 RSTS

While you're under warranty, Make sure you look very closely at everything inside and out. Look at the gear tracks for wear. look at the rollers underneath box. Get them to put larger screws in the frame- if the replace with the same ones, it will just break them again.
If they can't make it perfect, insist on factory repair.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel 28.5 RSTS

While you're under warranty, Make sure you look very closely at everything inside and out. Look at the gear tracks for wear. look at the rollers underneath box. Get them to put larger screws in the frame- if the replace with the same ones, it will just break them again.
If they can't make it perfect, insist on factory repair.
How do you get to the screws to see if there is a problem?
coarrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by coarrobert View Post
How do you get to the screws to see if there is a problem?
These are the screws on the black outside frame, you see when the slide is open.

Sometimes the screws break, but the heads are just being held by caulk.

Replacing these made a big difference in ours, but it's still not perfect, and goes crooked every so often.

But check all screws you can find, check your rollers underneath, etc.

It seems to me that a Schwintek will work fine one day, then jamb up the next.

I'll keep learning and tweaking the slides until it starts to be reliable.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #18

As cherv said, hold in the button for 5 seconds after it stops moving, I give it 2 or 3 anyway. When it stops it will realign itself. That is a design feature. I used to have problems with them until I started doing that. I have a 24L (pretty big slide) and it was crooked when we got it. Talked to a Schwintek engineer at the dealer's and he walked me through realigning it. No problems with it since after dozens of opening and closings.
Steve Hhll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 02:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hhll View Post
As cherv said, hold in the button for 5 seconds after it stops moving, I give it 2 or 3 anyway. When it stops it will realign itself. That is a design feature. I used to have problems with them until I started doing that. I have a 24L (pretty big slide) and it was crooked when we got it. Talked to a Schwintek engineer at the dealer's and he walked me through realigning it. No problems with it since after dozens of opening and closings.
Yes, we hold the button in 5 seconds at the end every time. It works until it doesn't anymore. lol

The other trick of opening an inch or two, then reversing, then repeating 4 or 5 times, has been working for us lately, but still studying to be ready for when nothing works.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:08 AM   #20

Weve had very little trouble. Large slides on both sides of den area, #2 side bearing a heavy couch and other #3 a double recliner, heavy footstool, and dining table. Ive had to shake one slide (couch side) a bit from time to time but it catches and works.
Our #1 kitchen slide bears fridge and oven. It sounds a bit different when it extends.
#4 Bedroom slide never gave any problem.
Yes, we hold button at both full open and full close to do the clack clack clack a second to insure all is reset. Dealer advised we do that each time.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote