Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Setting up WD Hitch

Hello there, I have a Reese dual cam 1200lb, weight distribution hitch, that I had the RV dealer setup for my F-150. I just bought a F-350 6.7 Diesel to tow my camper and attempted to set up myself, Just looking for feedback to see if I did it right.

1- Measured the truck front fenders to center on level ground unhooked from trailer. 41.5"

2- Leveled trailer on level ground, measured frame height in front and rear. 21"

3- once trailer was level raised .75", measured from ground to inside of coupler height for ball. 24"

4- set ball to this height, 24", on truck. lowest setting on the bar I have anyway,

5- lowered trailer onto truck, with WD bars off, measured front fenders to center again, 42.5", rise of 1"

6- want rise in front to only be .5", found wd bars on with 1 link down gives me 42" on the front fenders. trailer rides close to level, bubble slightly off

does this look good??? feedback please, no ignorant comments, got plenty of those before when i bought my trailer and was towing with F-150

Thanks

Justin Rutledge

-2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
-2012 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat, FX4, Tow Pkg 6.7 Diesel, Reese Dual Cam 1200LB WD Hitch.
JRutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Take it to a CAT scale and weigh it. That is really the only way to tell if the weight is distributed right. I would do this when you are fully loaded up with everything you take camping including the family, dog, etc. Congrats of the F350! One of those may be in my near future.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

It sounds like you covered all the bases. Your truck is near level and so is your trailer. I just set up a new hitch for our small summer trailer and my plan is to do what you have done. I am sure that Bob will chime in when he sees this post. He is the local expert.

You will really like towing with that F350.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Justin,

Using the TV fender measuring process as a means to adjust a WDH will get you in the ballpark, and it seems that you have your TV's front suspension about as close as one can get it to it's unhitched height, and I believe your "hitched" measurement falls right within Ford's requirements.

Check your Ford F-350's owners manual under towing, I believe you will find that Ford is allowing for a little more tolerance when using a WDH in respect to the return condition of the front suspension on newer Ford models.

As mentioned, a CAT scale weigh-in can confirm all your weights, and also confirm that your WDH is sized/adjusted optimally. CAT scale how-to:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

I also tow with the Reese HP Dual Cam, and once it's dialed in they are a great WDH with the integrated sway control.

Couple tips on the Reese Dual Cam:

* Make sure that the cam arms swing freely prior to attaching the spring bars.

* Confirm that the chain hanger brackets are assembled and attached in the correct orientation.

* Once you have your adjustments made, take your TV/TT combination to a parking lot and put your TV into a tight turn, stop, and get out and confirm that none of the WDH components are binding.

Feel free to post a couple close up pics of your WDH if you want a couple of extra eyes on your set-up. Also, there are a number of Reese Dual Cam threads in JOF as well.

Hope this helps.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote