Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Sewer Hookup - what do I need to know?

We don't normally camp with full hookups, but after our last week out and getting the gray tank dangerously full, we've chosen a site with full hookups for our next week out. I just ordered the rhinoflex sewer hose, which appears to be a complete kit (though I'm not sure just yet what that means).

Is there anything special I need to be aware of, or on the lookout for when we use this? I've heard other campers mention when people don't hook the sewer hose up correctly and the area stinks. I don't want to be that person, haha!

Thanks!

Karen

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Complete means the hose kit comes with a sewer adapter (that fits standard size septic holes and keeps the odors down) and a swiveling 90 degree end that locks into the sewer adapter. It also holds a rigid shape so you seldom have to support the hose (with additional aftermarket hose bridges) to keep a good drainage slope to the septic connection.

Afterthought...sometimes I get my hose out before I set the final resting place of the TT. You don't want to be too close or too far away from the sewer hook up. The less you "extend" the Rhinoflex hose the more rigid it is - and - you'll have the steepest slope to the sewer hole for faster / better draining.

Good Luck!
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Leave your drain valves closed until almost full before draining. Then close them again.

Flush your black tank 1st and then gray just as if your at a dump station.

The only difference in procedures is that when sewer is on site, it saves you from having to pull to a dump station.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

Nice little YouTube introduction to your purchase....

Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Another plus is you can take your time flushing the tanks without holding up the line at the dump station.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

Also, buy a clear 45* adapter that goes between the TT valve and the hose. Although a little gross, it allows you to see the flow as it dumps. Rhyno makes this piece too, it's additional to the kit.

Always dump black first then grey, make sure the black tank is at least 2/3 full before dumping. You can always hold the toilet peddle down to add water to reach 2/3+ if necessary.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #7

I purchased a clear 45 degree elbow with a flushing attachment on it. Works like a charm. Tank doesn't have to be 2/3 full when using this (but if I am at a site with hook ups, then I wait until nearly full!). Just drain, flush, drain (I usually do two flushes....enough to get clear water). Then drain the grey. The flush provides just the right amount of turbulence to "break things up" and get it flowing good. Drawback is you need to make sure your dump station has a water spigot (everyone I have been to does). If you are flushing at your campsite with hook-ups, you can take your time! (I'm mostly a boondocker)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #8

I keep a box of disposable latex gloves handy. When "doin the nasty" I put one on, when hooking up the sewer line I use 2. I don't know if they're really necessary but it just makes me feel better about life in general. I also use a "Sewer Solution" system which I like a lot. Somebody posted that they got scolded for using too much water, hasn't happened to me, yet.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

Thanks guys! I'll check out that clear elbow with the flusher. We're really getting spoiled by these hookups. I remember back when we went to a pop up from a tent and I felt so guilty for not roughing it anymore. Now I pick a site with cable! Haha!

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

I experienced a campsite recently that I did not have a proper fitting for. This site had sewer cleanout connections coming out of the ground at a low angle. I typically use a 90 fitting into a clean out that in most places is flush with the ground. In this case I needed a straight connector to the clean out. I have since added an adapter to do this and a rubber/foam hose end adapter.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #11

I know I'm new to the site, however, I've been camping for a very long time. When I have access to a full hook up site, I leave my gray water open and retain my black water. My reasoning for that is the black water (toilet) has no "trap" to keep the oders out, but all the gray waters do. I only empty the black tank as needed during the summer months and use a chemical made to keep oders down in the black tank. By leaving the gray water open, I dont have to depend on the gauge being correct, thus I can shower with out having to worry about overfilling the gray tank. Thats just my $.02
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

I keep my gray valve open as well, but I close it 2 days before I leave to give the grey tank a chance to fill up so when I dump it, it rinses out the sewer hose after dumping my black tank. Dump black first, then grey.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #13

Gloves are a good idea.

I had my trailer out for the first time last week. I didnt realize that the black tank had a leaky valve. When I took the cap off to hook up at a full hookup site I was greated by a full gushing tube of.............you know.

I didn't have gloves on.....................

Gibby3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

ooooooppppsss
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I keep my gray valve open as well, but I close it 2 days before I leave to give the grey tank a chance to fill up so when I dump it, it rinses out the sewer hose after dumping my black tank. Dump black first, then grey.
That is what I do. I close the grey tank a couple of days before I dump. No body likes to handle a crappy hose.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3275 View Post
Gloves are a good idea.

I had my trailer out for the first time last week. I didnt realize that the black tank had a leaky valve. When I took the cap off to hook up at a full hookup site I was greated by a full gushing tube of.............you know.

I didn't have gloves on.....................
You didn't have a Robin Williams "RV Moment" did you???? :dunno:
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote