Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Sewer problems

I have a 2106 Jayco x213. Our last trip was a bit of a disaster, site was small, I got taken to hospital, and my Sewer connection had problems.

Let's talk sewer connection. I've had the TT out 4 times, never had any problems. I always used one 10ft. section of hose. I have the Camco RhinoFLEX 20ft RV Sewer Hose Kit, Includes Swivel Fitting Translucent Elbow 4-In-1 Dump Station Fitting that I ordered from amazon based on good reviews. This time I had to use both sections AND the sewer connection was HIGHER than my TT. In order to dump my tanks I had to raise my TT up using the front jack and then open the tanks. It was higher, but not by much. When I opened the valve, I noticed a couple of drips coming from the fitting where the tube connected. I stopped it retightened all connections and tried again...still a small drip. So I opened the valve slowly and when it started dripping I pushed it closed a little and just let the tank empty slowly, seemed to work. Took forever.

So here's the question. I am new and perhaps I bought junk and should just buy a great sewer connection hose. if that's the case which should I buy and why?

Or was the hose leaking because I couldn't get enough gravity on the dump and it was just backing up?

TIA
Las Vegas, NV
LVChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Bought my sewer hose at Wall Mart 2005 on my second fiver!Maybe just a bad black tank valve?Pretty easy to replace! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Bought my sewer hose at Wall Mart 2005 on my second fiver!Maybe just a bad black tank valve?Pretty easy to replace! Thanks
Thanks It leaked on either black or grey and came from where the actual hose part connected to the plastic fitting.
Las Vegas, NV
Old 08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

The gaskets on those hoses are replaceable; you can find them just about anywhere including Wally World and Tractor Supply. I had to replace one a while back, so I bought extra that I keep around just in case.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

I have the RhinoFlex sewer hoses etc. and have been pleased with them EXCEPT for the swivel elbow - that part leaked from almost day one. I stopped using it and bought a straight, clear connection that has worked fine.

I think your sewer problem was that gravity was against you on that dump, not your sewer hose choice. Also, you may have a problem in the future if you didn't have a good flow out of your black tank; there could be a build up of solids left in the black tank or sewer line near the dump valve.

As Camper_Bob said, you can replace the gaskets. After over 3 years a couple of fittings started to leak so I replaced mine.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I have the RhinoFlex sewer hoses etc. and have been pleased with them EXCEPT for the swivel elbow - that part leaked from almost day one. I stopped using it and bought a straight, clear connection that has worked fine.

I think your sewer problem was that gravity was against you on that dump, not your sewer hose choice. Also, you may have a problem in the future if you didn't have a good flow out of your black tank; there could be a build up of solids left in the black tank or sewer line near the dump valve.

As Camper_Bob said, you can replace the gaskets. After over 3 years a couple of fittings started to leak so I replaced mine.
I also bought a clear angled connection. The leak is from the clear connection where it connects to the hose. I have only used it 4 times and it's only two months old. Do you think the gasket needs replaced already?

Thanks
Las Vegas, NV
Old 08-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVChris View Post
I also bought a clear angled connection. The leak is from the clear connection where it connects to the hose. I have only used it 4 times and it's only two months old. Do you think the gasket needs replaced already?

Thanks
It seems yours is not the swivel elbow so, IMO, yes; either the gasket is bad, not seated correctly, or some debris is preventing a good seal. So, if you cannot get the whole elbow replaced under warranty and have to mess (pun intended ) with it, replace the seals.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
It seems yours is not the swivel elbow so, IMO, yes; either the gasket is bad, not seated correctly, or some debris is preventing a good seal. So, if you cannot get the whole elbow replaced under warranty and have to mess (pun intended ) with it, replace the seals.
Agreed.

Those gaskets are cheap. If it fixes the leak, fine. If not, at least you've eliminated one possibility, and it didn't cost much. Like I said, don't get just one set...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #9

I carry spare gaskets in my "sewer tote" I have the Rhino Flex as well and have been using it for 3 seasons now without so much as a drip. I replaced the gaskets at the beginning of this season proactively. I do use a silicone o ring grease occasionally as well.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #10

The RhinoFlex hoses need "tightened" occasionally as well. Loosen the black ring at the connection and turn the hose clockwise to tighten to fully seat against the inside connection, then tighten the black ring. You'll see it written on the black ring which way to loosen/tighten.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #11

Still have my wall mart hose from 2005. Do the gaskets go bad from to much use or to little? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Still have my wall mart hose from 2005. Do the gaskets go bad from to much use or to little? Thanks
Both I think.

I think they're just crappy gaskets to begin with. Some people will likely get years of service out of them, and some won't. LOTS of factors contribute to failure. I think I replaced mine at 2 years? I don't remember exactly... by that time, I had been using the hose on average about every two months or so? Something like that anyway...

I just know that I had a drip develop, so I looked inside the fitting and saw a rubber gasket. Next time I was at WM, I saw they had replacements (by Camco I think) on the shelf, so I picked up a couple, replaced them, and no more drip. I keep the extras in my "utilities supply" box for the next time they fail along with spare hose clamps, and garden hose gaskets.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 08-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

Wanted to update. I went back this weekend to the same park...using the same sewer hose but a different more level site. No leaking issues and I didn't change a thing. My belief is that when the hose gets full because gravity isn't working hard to keep it moving, then it leaks as water will find the path of least resistance.

In any case, all is well now.
Las Vegas, NV
Old 08-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVChris View Post
Wanted to update. I went back this weekend to the same park...using the same sewer hose but a different more level site. No leaking issues and I didn't change a thing. My belief is that when the hose gets full because gravity isn't working hard to keep it moving, then it leaks as water will find the path of least resistance.

In any case, all is well now.
... or the leak area is at/near 'the top' now so nothing leaked this trip. But the next trip if the leaking area isn't at the top? When your camping schedule is less full, consider new gaskets.

It's probably just me, but I dislike having freshwater water leaks and I cringe when I see I have any kind of sewer dripage.

Tags
sewer hose