Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

Shackles.... or Axel Flip?....

I have a rather low TT that's capable of being towed by a car or small SUV.

I could greatly benefit from a few extra inches of height to alleviate back dragging and burying the jack pad in the pavement....it will also help me with septic draining.

The axel flip gains 5-6" and it's all - or none....too much of a raise for my WDH. Does anyone have experience with changing the shackles? I think this will allow me a better height selection.

Thanks in advance.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

*deleted post*....thought I found the answer at Dexters website....wrong axel type

I am aware they (shackels) can cause lateral motion in excess lengthening (I had a 4" shackel lift on my Jeep)....I'm just looking to gain 1.5-2"
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

1.5 or 2 inches really wont do much for gaining clearance. If you have a single axle trailer the longer shackels would probably work for you. If you have a double axle trailer longer shackles may bend when turning hard like backing into places. You can always remove your hitch head, turn the hitch over so it is pointing up and gain several inches for your weight distribution hitch. Just a thought.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
You can always remove your hitch head, turn the hitch over so it is pointing up and gain several inches for your weight distribution hitch. Just a thought.
Thanks for the thoughts. My head bar (or whatever you call it) is positioned downward and I have (1) more upward adjustment before flipping. Each adjustment is 3" so that's in the range of the lift I'm trying to accomplish.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

just to clarify you DO have leafsprings and not torsion type? Im in the same spot as you with the low clearance issue but running torsion axel and the lightweight frame wont support a weld in spacer for the axel mount (or atleast not suggested).
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #6

I have leaf springs....thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

With leaf springs you can also replace the equalizer shackle, to gain a bit more height. We did it many years ago on the parents TT, when we broke one near Helena MT. The repair shop apologized immensely when we picked up the TT as it was a few inches higher. My dad was happy with the results as this allowed him to put on the LT tires that he wanted. The equalizer shackle we installed probably raised the TT about 2-3 inches. The originals as I recall was basically a piece of U-Chanel. The new ones looked like a triangle, and was very beefy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

OK, what I thought. How about welding on longer front spring hangers and a small rear shackel lift? I believe with the shackels 1" of extra length over stock length yield 1/2" of lift. I think if any springs with more lift or arch will be too harsh on your TT.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exjay1 View Post
OK, what I thought. How about welding on longer front spring hangers and a small rear shackel lift? I believe with the shackels 1" of extra length over stock length yield 1/2" of lift. I think if any springs with more lift or arch will be too harsh on your TT.
I came to the same conclusions. It could done - but it's going to involve welding and fabricating (most of which I cant do) and that's going to run up the cost up.

I had an epiphany earlier today....I can confidently and economically install the axel flip with a kit from Dexter ($40). The axel flip gains 5-6 inches. I would then LOWER the springs in the spring holders and shackles by 2" simply by drilling new bolt holes.....this would yield a net height increase of 3-4"

Following are pictures of the shackle and spring hanger showing the ample room to raise the springs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-03_17-56-00_731.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	7683Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-03_17-56-50_269.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	7684
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

You might be happy with just the flip but after the axel flip I'd start with the front hanger first to see what that gives you. the rear shackel, if you drill it up higher (say 1/2 the distance) to lower the TT some after the flip brings the spring eye pretty close to the sharp corner of the rear hanger mount. might have contact in an extreme compression situation but could hit that with a grinder to round it off some. be aware that shorting up your shackel swing reduces the spring movement which could rough up the ride some. dont forget some pics of the finished product whenever you get to it.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #11

Thanks for the input everyone.

By shortening the shackle, I realize I also need to be concerned with both lateral and vertical spring movement. I will first go to Dexter to see if they have a paper on the spring travel. The spring travel cant be much on such a small trailer as the 154BH...the tire has 2" of clearance all the way around the wheel well as delivered. The spring has 3" of arch under trail weight.

I will keep you posted