Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

shore power set up question

I want to install a 50 amp line so I can run my MH at home. I assume it's a simple 2 pole 50 amp circuit breaker, proper weight wiring, and an external 4 prong female receptacle?
RVspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVspeedster View Post
I want to install a 50 amp line so I can run my MH at home. I assume it's a simple 2 pole 50 amp circuit breaker, proper weight wiring, and an external 4 prong female receptacle?
Yep. Installed a 50/30/20 amp combo box late last fall, get to use it later this week.

Bit cheaper to go with a tradutional 20 amp outlet, but it limits the ability of what you can run.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the confim. Need 30 or even better with 50 to run ACs.
RVspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVspeedster View Post
Keep in mind the overall rating of your board, and what else you might be powering at the same time. Some older properties in the US may only have a 50A total capacity, so running your RV's AC, your house AC and your dishwasher could pop the main breaker and plunge your whole house into darkness. Most homes will have a 100A capacity, or more, but you might get unlucky if you have an older property.

You can check easily enough, the rating should be displayed on the panel, close to the main breaker, or on the breaker itself.

Disclaimer 1.01: As always, if you're not fully confident of your ability to tinker safely with Instant Lightning ... don't. Unless you relish the prospect of waking up with smiling faces looking down at you, and asking about your insurance...

(Trust me, I'm an Engineer :-) )

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #5

One of the best things I did was install a 20/30/50 box at home where I park my camper. It not only allows me ample power to use while making repairs / upgrades but also when we utilize camp driveway!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Keep in mind the overall rating of your board, and what else you might be powering at the same time. Some older properties in the US may only have a 50A total capacity, so running your RV's AC, your house AC and your dishwasher could pop the main breaker and plunge your whole house into darkness. Most homes will have a 100A capacity, or more, but you might get unlucky if you have an older property.
THIS is a really important point!! Just because you have space in the panel to snap in a double pole 50 amp breaker, doesn't mean the existing service can handle it, along with the rest of the load of the house.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #7

May add a 50 amp to use when trailer is at home, have two friends who are electricians and know exactly what I want and need no problem there. House has 200 amp service so just gotta get ambitious and get with it.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolvi View Post
May add a 50 amp to use when trailer is at home, have two friends who are electricians and know exactly what I want and need no problem there. House has 200 amp service so just gotta get ambitious and get with it.
Excellent. My tt, sits in front of our old single car garage. It has never had power in 95 years. I bought out a 100amp sub panel, then installed that 20/30/50 shots power box. It's nice to have power options.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote