Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
CLS

Shore Sense - Cummins Onan Energy Command 30 (EC-30)

I'm looking for a little guidance in connecting my EC-30 to a reliable transformer on the shore power side of my transfer switch.

Here's my setup...

I've installed the Cummins Onan Energy Command 30 gen control panel into my Jayco Eagle 291 RSTS, along with an Onan 5500 gas gen, and just recently an automatic transfer switch, the Progressive Dynamics PD52DCS.

The EC-30 gen control panel includes the ability to sense if AC shore power is present via the following wiring:
– Wire #13 AC Present – Ground
– Wire #14 AC Present + Postive

Wiring needs to be connected to one of the following:
– Option 1 - UL Listed 120VAC to 12-16VAC transformer
– Option 2 - UL Listed 120VAC to 12VDC plug-in power supply

Unfortunately, or fortunately if there were issues with the unit, Progressive Dynamics discontinued their Shore Source Voltage Detector last year for their transfer switches. From what I understand, I could have connected the EC-30 directly to this board's 16v connector.

At this point, I'm leaning toward option 1 above with a transformer to be installed some how on the the shore power side of the transfer switch, but would like some input...

So finally here's the question... What are some of the best approaches to ensuring the EC-30 shore sense is connected to a stable and reliable source on the shore power side of the transfer switch?

Appreciate the input...
CLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

In the online manual for the PD transfer switch you have it shows a picture of the "optional" shore sense voltage detector. It looks fairly simple with the transformer and a fuse mounted on a small printed circuit board as well as the AC in/out spade lug connections. I wonder if PD still has those as a service part, even if they don't include them with the new assemblies? Might be worth an email to them to check.

Too bad Radio Shack is (mostly) gone, probably could have gone there and whipped the same thing up in a few minutes! But whatever solution you choose I would recommend it be fused on the AC side just in case!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ec-30, energy command, onan, shore sense