Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #21
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Is it possible it could be shower enclosure/ curtain?These leaks would drive me crazy still under warranty?
Good thought but I ruled that one out. It is way too much water, especially in the bedroom. Also, the side of the shower stays dry. Thank you though!

Yes, it is still under warranty. Unfortunately nobody can get me in until late September/October. I'm just getting tired of using the park/campground facilities when I have a shower that should be functioning so thought I would try to fix it myself.
AoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #22
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertopod View Post
It has to be the drain line. Probably where it ties into the sink drain line. Could be a wye that wasnt glued amd could have came completey off. If the shower drain has less fall to the sink the main drain line than the sink does it would leak when the shower is on but not the sink. And the shower puts out more water than the sink. Just my half educated guess. I own a plumbing supply business.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That certainly does make sense but when I pulled the panels off to fix the back-flow valve I could trace the shower drain line from the shower to the grey tank. The shower and sink drains appeared to tie together after the shower back-flow valve on the opposite side of the bathroom and far below deck. That's why I started looking into the water supply. I appreciate the professional advice though. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #23

Put a level on the bathroom floor. Is the pooling area lower than the shower faucet side? If so, then I still bet there is a pinhole leak in one of the shower lines. It is running down under the tub, then running to that corner where it is emerging.

If that is a high spot then that points to the sink faucet being the issue.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #24
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Put a level on the bathroom floor. Is the pooling area lower than the shower faucet side? If so, then I still bet there is a pinhole leak in one of the shower lines. It is running down under the tub, then running to that corner where it is emerging.

If that is a high spot then that points to the sink faucet being the issue.
I guess the bathroom floor itself could be on an angle. I'll check it in the next day or two. I checked on the rig yesterday and was hoping to start removing panels but ran into power issues. My own fault, we are learning as we go. Luckily the freezer is deep enough to hold all the melted ice...oops!

Really appreciate the help. I'll update as soon as I start checking.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #25

Try pouring a five gallon bucket of water down the shower drain without running the water. That will rule out the drain for sure.

If that creates no problem, try another bucket but this time splash the water around all the walls and shower fittings to rule these out.

Next, run your shower directly into the bucket without getting the shower surfaces wet. If this results in a leak, it has to be between the faucet and the shower head. It can't be the pipes feeding the faucet because these are under pressure even when you're not using the shower. How about the connection for the shower head right at the faucet--is it visible or behind the wall?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Try pouring a five gallon bucket of water down the shower drain without running the water. That will rule out the drain for sure.

If that creates no problem, try another bucket but this time splash the water around all the walls and shower fittings to rule these out.

Next, run your shower directly into the bucket without getting the shower surfaces wet. If this results in a leak, it has to be between the faucet and the shower head. It can't be the pipes feeding the faucet because these are under pressure even when you're not using the shower. How about the connection for the shower head right at the faucet--is it visible or behind the wall?
I really like this idea too. I could fill the bucket first since my fresh tank is about half full (no hook ups currently) and if there is no issue I can dump it. I have sat underneath watched/listened to water flow down the drain and into the tank so I have it pretty narrowed down to an above deck, supply line issue. But this will cover all the bases. I'll have to check the shower head connection when I'm there tomorrow. Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #27

Nice procedure. Wish I had thought of it
Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 AM   #28

From underneath can you see the shower tub and drain itself? On mine it is easy to see. If you can, dry it and wrap some toilet paper around the drain before you pour in the water.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #29

An old plumber's trick is to put red food dye into the water/drain system. It doesn't hurt the system and is water soluble and can be wiped off. Put a small amount of water in your tank, mix the dye and pour it in. Then pump the combination through the problem area. The red dye will enable you to more easily see it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #30
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
From underneath can you see the shower tub and drain itself? On mine it is easy to see. If you can, dry it and wrap some toilet paper around the drain before you pour in the water.
I can see the drain but only a small portion of the shower tub itself. I can reach up through the cut-out where the drain comes down and feel around. I haven't felt any water in that area though. That is what is leading me to believe it is a supply problem. Maybe if I can get some paper towels spread around under the tub and run the water I can find out where it is starting. Thanks...again!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #31
AoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
An old plumber's trick is to put red food dye into the water/drain system. It doesn't hurt the system and is water soluble and can be wiped off. Put a small amount of water in your tank, mix the dye and pour it in. Then pump the combination through the problem area. The red dye will enable you to more easily see it.
Great suggestion, thanks! This will work well especially after I (hopefully) fix the problem to see if it is still leaking or if there is just left over water. I appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #32

Thanks. You can use that trick to locate the leak also. The dye will dry on the leaky fitting/hose and allow you to see it. One other small idea. You can buy bore scopes with a flexible wand on them, and if you can get access the size of a penny, you can direct them up or down the inside of a wall to see the leaking area. The bore scopes are fairly cheap now. Costco use to sell them.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote