Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #1

Question Sink trap removal

My 1997 Jayco 10UD popup has a very slow kitchen sink drain. Sometimes it doesn't drain at all ! I am able to blow some water through it with my compressor, but gravity just didn't work.

So, if we are to continue using it, I am told to 'fix it'!

I had to take the heater out to access the area under the sink, and found a little thumb screw on the bottom of the trap, which I was told I needed to unscrew to get the trap down from the actual sink drain. I may have broken that, but I got the trap removed. Problem is I can't get the sink drain out.

Ire these pieces just screwed together? I hesitate to just take a bigger pair of pliers to it until I have some idea what is going on.

Also, after I get it apart, is there a better (simpler) solution for a replacement drain - maybe one that doesn't incorporate a trap would be acceptable.
BigBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

Hey Big Band,
Check your local home improvement store for a replacement drain. They are fairly standard, 1 1/4" for bath lavatory and 1 1/2" for kitchen. You must have a trap however, otherwise you will get sewer gas smells from your holding tank. LW
el-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #3

Well, it turns out that the sink drain itself is a standard hardware item. The trap assembly had sealer on the threads, making it difficult to unscrew. Once I had a plan in mind, I didn't mind if I destroyed the original hardware when disassembling it.

I put a large flat bladed screwdriver into the cross-wise strainer from the top, to prevent it from turning, and put a large set of channel lock pliers on the big sink nut below the counter. It took some effort, but I finally broke things loose. The threads cleaned up pretty good using a wire wheel on my grinder.

My plan is to replace all of this with a non-trap drain. I'm just running kitchen sink grey water out to a bucket, so I don't need a trap at all.

I believe this item will do the trick:
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Sink-B...-p/88-8179.htm
BigBand is offline   Reply With Quote