Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I am trying to avoid the monthly expense of a dish service. I am in my camper no more than 20-25 days per year, and I can 't justify that monthly bill. I don't mind buying some hardware, but I don't want to obligate myself to another monthly bill.
Understood. Thats why years ago I converted my home to Dish. Take a receiver with me from a spare bedroom [actually I pay for a receiver that moves back and forth between my houseboat and my camper] and I have Dish on the road with no added expense. Takes maybe 15 minutes on a bad day to set up and tune in the dish. HD on both TT tvs with DVR on both too.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Understood. Thats why years ago I converted my home to Dish. Take a receiver with me from a spare bedroom [actually I pay for a receiver that moves back and forth between my houseboat and my camper] and I have Dish on the road with no added expense. Takes maybe 15 minutes on a bad day to set up and tune in the dish. HD on both TT tvs with DVR on both too.

I've been considering that option. The main thing keeping me from it is the inconvenience of the install at the house.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #13

Being the OP we have moved away from Slingbox and have Dish with the Pathway X2.

No comparison.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #14

This is a topic of great interest to me. DW and I (and various animals) spend 6 months in FL and 6 months in IN, and we have DirecTV dishes in both locations, carrying the just the boxes back and forth. When we camp it is always in SP CGs, so no Wi-Fi. I bought a dish and tripod from TV4RV and it is relatively (30-45 min, not worth the trouble for a one night stay) easy to set up.
The major problem, especially in the Northern US, is the tree cover in SP CGs, it is hit or miss if you will have a clear view in the direction you need. I would say about 65% of the time you will have success.
It is worth it to us, especially on longer trips with stays of 4-5 days in each CG. We also bring a Verizon 4G hotspot for internet access for tablets and phones, but watching video with that will burn through GBs of data pretty quick and they ain't cheap.

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I've been considering that option. The main thing keeping me from it is the inconvenience of the install at the house.
We use DirecTV but whether you choose Direct or Dish they typically include installation at no charge. It's extremely convenient. The only inconvenience if you work away from the house, is having to be there during the install time. They can schedule installs after 5 though. Good Luck

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2005 GMC YukonXL Denali
4 6-volt batteries - 440 AH bank
Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote