Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #1

SOFT CELL water Softener insulated container

So I have been using the Soft Cell water softener system since July '21 and
really like the quality of water the system provides no mater how nasty the water gets like around Lake Bridgeport, TX. However, when got cold, I would have to disconnect the system else it would freeze. I have been looking for a decent solution to one, help with the handling/storage on moving day when have to put into the truck for transport, and two, keep the system from freezing.
I finally found a plastic container that would work, then used heat tape and insulation that I had to keep from freezing. One issue is have to undo everything as I have it now to replace the water filter stage, and two need to remove the styrofoam and replace with other insulation that is more fire resistant. Did
wrap the short water hose with aluminum foil before put the heat tape on.
Worked well for couple of sub freezing nights this past week, but will keep an
eye on it.
Looking for a way to form fit something around the system in the container so I can readily lift the system to replace the filter without having to take the heat tape off... future mod in the works. Probably some better ideas out there, but I didn't find anything online for this particular system.
Attached Thumbnails
Soft Cell Insulated 1.jpg   Soft Cell Insulated 2.jpg   Soft Cell Insulated 3.jpg  
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Your set-up seems to fit well with the softener/filter combination placed in the plastic container.

I'm not familiar with the "Soft Cell" softener, but like yourself I use my "Flow-Pur" softener during Texas Hill Country winters with temps in the 20's and 30's without issue...., as long as the RV Park doesn't shut the water off during a hard freeze

I placed my softener in a HD orange bucket, wrapped with double-sided foil insulation as well over the top of the softener, then placed a heavy duty garbage bag over it for moisture protection. I do have a sealed heated hose connected to each side of the softener (inlet/discharge) which keeps the softener contents from freezing. It's my understanding these sealed heated hoses will keep water from freezing 30" past the connection point (?).

I have an in-line filter connected between the shore water spigots and the sealed heated hose connection. The in-line filter and spigots are wrapped in double-sided foil insulation as well.

I leave the softener in the bucket during storage, transport, and back-flushing/recharging (remove top foil insulation).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #3

Good solution! Thanks for sharing.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)