Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

solar: how to run wires, cut holes, etc

I'm trying to figure out how to run needed wires for a solar/battery setup in my 2019 Jay Flight 32BHDS TT.

Renogy solar system: 3-100W panels, 40A MPPT, 2-100Ah lithium batteries, and 2000W inverter
I also have a generator.

The controller, batteries, and inverter live in the outside-access compartment (part of the under-bed compartment).
I don't really know how these TTs are constructed, so I'm leery about just drilling and cutting into things.

I need to run the following wires/cable:
* the 2 10 AWG wires from the MPPT to outside for the solar panels (I will not be mounting these on the trailer, but will pull them out when camped somewhere).
I figure I can store these wires when moving in the house battery tray box once I get rid of the heavy piece of junk in it.
* a pair of 6 AWG from the batteries to outside to hookup where the default house battery is hooked up (or should I do 4 AWG? the panel converter is 60A).
* 12 AWG Romex from the inverter to the circuit panel

As I will be making a hole for the solar panel and battery wires, I might as well run the Romex with them, right?
Do I just cut a hole in the floor in the outside-access compartment? I have no idea what to expect there. I assume laminate, plywood, and insulation, and make sure not to end up on the metal frame.
As I've crawled all under the trailer, I don't expect any wires there and I can see the propane line.

I'm thinking I can run the Romex under the trailer along with other wires I see, shoving it through the hole in the floor behind the circuit panel.
And then I hook it up to the 50A breakers (I hope the 12 AWG will fit in there along with whatever is there now, 6 AWG I guess).

For operation, if I understand correctly, when using the inverters I'll want to flip the converter breaker to off, and will only need to flip the converter breaker to on when on shore power/generator.
With the converter on, it should then charge my batteries. Is it bad if the inverter is on in this setup while the converter is on, other than a waste of power?

(I added some pictures, but i don't know how this forum will post them, so referencing them here is difficult)

The first pic (IMG_2366) is my current mess of equipment, and I assume i can drill through the floor? Can I use a spade bit, or should I spend money on a hole saw bit?
The second pic (IMG_2365) shows what I'll connect the batteries to, quite close to the compartment in the first pic.
And does anyone know how that group of colorful wires runs through the trailer? It's also shown in the last pic (IMG_2213).
The third pic (IMG_2245) is behind the electric panel under the oven. I assume I can shove more wires through that hole up from the black foam in pic 5 (IMG_2227).
The fourth pic (IMG_2233) is the electric panel, where I'm also hoping I can attach 12 AWG Romex to the 50A breakers as well (but I haven't pulled the breaker to inspect yet).

And for sealing any holes I make, do I need some special foam, or is a can of that yellow Great Stuff fine?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2366.jpg   IMG_2365.jpg   IMG_2245.jpg   IMG_2233.jpg   IMG_2227.jpg  

IMG_2213.jpg  
rabcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:30 AM   #2

I did a similar wiring set up. I'm happy to answer any questions when I get a chance. I'm up in Whistler camping and biking so may not respond super quick. Lots of smart folks here!

You can see my install here https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f30/2015-white-hawk-23mbh-mods-77358.html
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #3

The only comment I would make is to put in protectors where the wire goes through holes to prevent chaffing and eventual shorts or fire. This is especially true of anywhere wire could ever touch a metal entry point like one of the pictures.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #4

ah, RogerR, that's an excellent idea. thanks. anything specific i'm looking for?
rabcyr is offline   Reply With Quote