Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #1

Solar Panel Cables/Wires

I'm about to pull the trigger on a solar suitcase. I will need extension cables in addition to the suitcase.

Does anyone know if they sell a dual core/wire cable or do you have to use 2 separate cords?

Everything I've seen that in 12 awg is a single cable for each side. It seems like its a messy bunch of wires for a 15' extension cord.

Thanks for the insight
gmucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #2

The suitcase doesn’t come with cables and alligator clamps to go to the batteries? Or your wanting to extend the ones that come with the suitcase? My suitcase I just bought from Renogy came with 10’ cables with clamps and the controller is waterproof and already pre-wired and attached to the suitcase. If the one your looking at doesn’t come with cables and controller etc. make sure your not going to spend more making it work than you would have buying a complete kit.
If I end up extending my cables (one positive and one negative) from the panels to battery box I’ll end up using welding cables. They are super flexible for being such heavy gauge. You’d still be able to roll them up for storage.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

Looks for 10-2 low voltage copper landscape wire, that's what I used. It is 2 conductor with heavy sheath. I replaced the Renogy leads with a 25' section of this cable with an SAE connector soldered to the trailer end of the cable, also made a 10' extension.

https://www.electricsuppliesonline.c...wire-1-ft.html

For the ASE connectors I purchased through Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check polarity on your factory connector that came on the trailer (assuming yours came with a solar plug), some are wired in reverse polarity (Zamp). It's an easy fix by swapping the leads between the controller and plug if needed.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote