Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #1

solar wiring chart for dummies

I am installing a 1 battery, 2 panel with mppt controller setup.

I have tried asking several times at Renogy and doing research and can't answer a simple question(s).
Should I have a battery cutoff switch only to the house charger and leave the MPPT controller attached to the battery or should the switch cut off both the battery and the MPPT at the same time.

I do have a solar to MPPT switch installed already and fuses on both the solar panels and mppt to battery connection.

All the wiring diagrams I have found ignore the circuit that goes to the main power panel from the battery.

I plan to just let the battery 'sleep' in the RV over the winter disconnected from solar and all loads so no low temp problems will occur.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
EJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I am installing a 1 battery, 2 panel with mppt controller setup.

I have tried asking several times at Renogy and doing research and can't answer a simple question(s).
Should I have a battery cutoff switch only to the house charger and leave the MPPT controller attached to the battery or should the switch cut off both the battery and the MPPT at the same time.

I do have a solar to MPPT switch installed already and fuses on both the solar panels and mppt to battery connection.

All the wiring diagrams I have found ignore the circuit that goes to the main power panel from the battery.

I plan to just let the battery 'sleep' in the RV over the winter disconnected from solar and all loads so no low temp problems will occur.
If you have a shutoff between the solar panels and MPPT, you can get by without a shutoff between the battery and MPPT. In fact, IIRC (ask @TOM_AZ) this is how Jayco does the factory solar. They always have the solar topping up the battery, even when the battery disconnect to the rest of the trailer is turned off. No harm to have a shutoff between the battery and MPPT though remember to never run the solar with the battery disconnected (you can burn out your MPPT controller).
Old 04-23-2022, 06:42 PM   #3

Following. I’m trying to get my head around how to not cook the battery.
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #4

Here is the best diagram I have seen on this topic. It might have more items in it however it gets the point across very well and shows where disconnects/breakers/fuses etc all should be.

With that being said, do you have any of the solar already installed or any solar of any kind installed with a controller? If so what type etc? What type of battery are you doing? (LA/AGM/LiFePo4)

If its all net new its harder and easier at the same time. Harder because you have to figure out the wire routing, easier as you determine where to plug into the various systems such as the 12v. Which could be as easy as the existing battery disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar diagram.jpg  
Old 01-30-2023, 04:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
Here is the best diagram I have seen on this topic. It might have more items in it however it gets the point across very well and shows where disconnects/breakers/fuses etc all should be.

With that being said, do you have any of the solar already installed or any solar of any kind installed with a controller? If so what type etc? What type of battery are you doing? (LA/AGM/LiFePo4)

If its all net new its harder and easier at the same time. Harder because you have to figure out the wire routing, easier as you determine where to plug into the various systems such as the 12v. Which could be as easy as the existing battery disconnect.
Tom, thanks for the diagram. I'm into my pre-season reading and the chart is helpful to this electrically challenged gray-beard.

Best to you - Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:31 PM   #6

I get disconnect happy. I want to be able to isolate every portion of the system.

So for me, I'll have a circuit breaker before and after the MPPT.

I'll have a disconnect that lets me disconnect the house load/system.

And I'll have a master disconnect that disconnects everything at once.