Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Sort of a rant about caulking

I know that I have to keep my easily water damaged trailer dry where it is supposed to be dry. I check my caulking and seams at least twice a year. I have applied Eternabond to most of my roof seams, and when I check those seams on the roof I rarely find an issue.

But, for the sides of the trailer, there is ALWAYS a crack in the caulking somewhere. I use Proflex caulk. I had checked over my trailer in February and fixed some issues. I checked it again today, and had to re-caulk around a portion of a window, and along an entire seam - both edges - where the front cap meets the sidewall. I DO NOT LIKE TO CAULK. I would rather mow the grass, or unstop a drain, or paint some trim. I do not like to caulk. But I have to, so I do. End of rant.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

I hear you.

You'd think in this day and age there would be something better than just plain old caulking to seal seams with!

I've often thought about trying some of the 3m stone chip film to seal seams. Overlap 1/2 inch on fibreglass and the other edge over the metal trim, you'd have a seal that wouldn't crack and is invisible to boot. Not sure how good it would work on curves though. I love that stuff on my vehicles for eliminating chances of stone chips.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

The only problem with your idea of using something such as 3M film is that over time, the film with yellow due to UV. Granted, products such as 3M film (and a couple of others) have recently enhanced the product with UV inhibitors, but the yellowing will still occur at some point. Given that most TTs are white, you would have to remove it and reapply in future. Unless we shrink-wrap our TTs, we have no choice but to join-in with RVhiker's rant.
Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #4

I've applied two inch wide strips of Eternabond to some of the joints on the side of my trailer. The results pleased me, but I understand that some do not like the appearance.

The first place I applied the strips were along the lower and front edge of the fifth wheel notch. I'd caulked there, but there is enough slight movement of the joint to crack the caulking pretty quickly.

I've also applied the Eternabond strips along the rear seams where the back wall of the trailer meet the side wall of the trailer. I had caulked and re-caulked there, but the caulking joints quickly cracked.

I've had these strips in place for about 18 months, and so far they remain firmly attached. I used 4" wide Eternabond and split it in two by using a razor knife and a long aluminum straight edge. The curved corners in the picture are a separate piece cut from a 4" wide strip of Eternabond, because Eternabond does not like curving in a flat plane to turn a corner.
Attached Thumbnails
frtsidesmall2.jpg  
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

I do not like to caulk either!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #6

Would have been nice of them to caulk THEN apply a color matched 3M sealant tape/film over it
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

3m film is pretty much guaranteed not to yellow and is easily removed by heating. It's the curves that i'd be not sure how to do but could use RVhikers way of cutting strips on a curve.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote