Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Spare 12 Volt Fuse location in low voltage pannel?

I have a 2011 Jayflight 26rls in storage about 200 miles away ( going up this weeknd for the last trip up that way this season ) to bring it home and get it ready for our "vacation" trip this fall. I want to permantely mount a small 400 Watt inverter to feed the TV and sattelite & DVD. Is there a spare 12 volt feed in the power distribuion pannel already? I will find out this weend for sure but curious if any one already knows.

I was thinking of just stealing power up where the TV amp is but suspect that is small wire without looking. Idealy I owuld like to mount the inverter close to the 12 volt distribution source and route the A/C to some dedicated outlet but need to turn it off of course to cut drain when not in use.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

You do not want to connect the inverter to the DC circuits in the converter.

Place the inverter as close as you possibly can to the battery. Use 8 gauge wire within 10 feet of the battery. That will be 20 feet of wire if you are unable to ground it to the frame closer. Use an inline fuse holder.

There are many ways to do this hook up but the key is the larger the wire and the closer to the battery the better.

I would not use the DC circuits from the converter panel for anything over a 100 watt inverter.

Hope this helps.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

I have a agm battery that I connect a power inverter to (when dry camping). It doesn't off gas when being charged so I can keep it in the camper and recharge it with the generator when needed. I have toyed with mounting the inverter under one of the seats with the outlet end sticking out, but it produces heat and I don't want the heat build up in an enclosed area.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #4

Well tried to run the inverter off of the 12V plug and it was too much voltage drop and forced it to fault. Hooked the inverter directly to the battery and ran an extension cord back to tv & sat reciever and was able to run it all for several hours watching a movie via sattelite. With the Solar pannel hooked up managed to actauly keep ahead of the load. Just need a clean way of getting the power arround. Hate to mount the inverter where its hard to trun on and off. etc. I will work it out though... no hurry as the next trip will all be full hookups etc.