Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

Steps

The folding steps my trailer came with are Hickory Springs "Big Easy" with three 10" wide steps.

So far, I've replaced one top pivot rivet with a 1/2" bolt and nuts because the rivet worked loose and began to wobble and bend. The weld broke on one side of the forward side reinforcement bar and I had to fix that with right angle reinforcement brackets and bolts. Now the rivet on the other side is loose and has to be replaced.

People may be afraid to ask, but neither my wife or me are huge; however, we do probably use our trailer more than most.

I plan to replace the steps when something more breaks. Is there a more durable brand or type of folding steps than Hickory Springs "Big Easy"?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:55 PM   #2

We recently had our steps replaced with Lippert's Alumi-Tread Steps.

They are much sturdier that the Lippert / HSM steps that were on our trailer previously.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Team

[QUOTE=RVhiker;411153].

The weld broke on one side of the forward side reinforcement bar and I had to fix that with right angle reinforcement brackets and bolts. Now the rivet on the other side is loose and has to be replaced.

QUOTE]

I have pretty much have done the same... Where the weld broke, I was going to weld it, but I did not have any confidence in the strength of the metal where the weld would have been. So I used a "L" bracket from the hardware store. That has been working for the last year, but I see a few other locations that may need my attention. I am thinking of switching the back door steps with the front door steps, after I saw the price of a new stair replacement.

I would recommend that everyone that has a new trailer clean the step locations that have movement and add layers of spray paint, and clean up any rust you see starting.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote