Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Surge Guard Keeps Shutting Off? .. edit... RV tripping house outlets...?

(Edit to add.... tried connecting the RV to the house without the Surge Guard and it tripped the house outlet instantly. Made sure everything inside the RV (AC, water pump, water heater, lights, fans, etc.) were switched to off. No clue what's going on.... ugh.)

I have the Surge Guard 34730 and I am trying to connect my Jayco Hybrid to our house as we prepare for our first camping trip of the season. As I have always done in the past, I bring out the extension cord, connect the dog bone, connect the Surge Guard, and then plug the RV in.

Per usual it does the 120ish second countdown. The very first time I did it, everything worked as normal and I went into the RV to turn on the fridge. Fridge turned on then about 10 seconds later it turned off (I thought I heard a click... not sure). Went out and saw that the Surge Guard was completely off. No lights and nothing on the digital display.

Is it possible that the plug at my house in tripping or could it be a problem with the Surge Guard?

SomersIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #2

Have you tried plugging in without the Surge Guard, that will tell you if the problem is in the Surge Guard

Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Have you tried plugging in without the Surge Guard, that will tell you if the problem is in the Surge Guard
Not yet. About to try that now. So far whenever I plug the RV in, it trips the house circuit. I've tried 3 different outlets in my house (one is a GFI) and it has tripped every single one as soon as the SurgeGuard gets past the wait time.

Makes me wonder if there's something funky going on with the RV electrical system that is causing it to draw more power? Not going to lie... a bit timid as anything electrical intimidates me. Eek
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Does your Surge Guard give you any codes. I had a similar problem with an extension cord with a bad ground. When I plugged it in at home I heard a click from my EMS and it gave me a code for bad ground, switched extension cords and all was good.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Does your Surge Guard give you any codes. I had a similar problem with an extension cord with a bad ground. When I plugged it in at home I heard a click from my EMS and it gave me a code for bad ground, switched extension cords and all was good.
No code. As soon as it hits 128 seconds I hear a loud click and it trips the outlet in the house and then the SurgeGuard just shuts off as if I had unplugged it.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #6

Do you have any high amperage items turned on in the trailer? Like the A/C. water heater, etc? Your converter would normally kick on once shore power is established to charge the battery, this alone can have a high draw, depending on the battery charger rating. Then, if something else is left on, that would trip your circuit breaker.

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Do you have any high amperage items turned on in the trailer? Like the A/C. water heater, etc? Your converter would normally kick on once shore power is established to charge the battery, this alone can have a high draw, depending on the battery charger rating. Then, if something else is left on, that would trip your circuit breaker.
I checked and I did notice that the water heat and pump switch were on... so I thought maybe it was an easy fix and I turned those off. But the problem continues. The AC is switched to off and the lights are off.

I tried plugging it into our house (as we have always done in the past) without the Surge Guard and it tripped the house outlet again. So I feel more confident that it's not the Surge Guard at all but rather something funky happening in the camper... which just makes me paranoid because what could be happening that is causing the outlet to trip?? Ugh

(i'm going to edit my original post, if I can, to add this new insight)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Try turning main breaker off inside trailer and then plug trailer card back in to surge protector and see what happens. If it still trips then you know the problem is somewheres in the card. If it stays on then the problem is from breaker can Inside trailer. Hope this helps and you get it fixed.
Dada
Dada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #9

Is it possible that mice chewed your wiring and you now have a short?

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

You say your "outlet" trips. Are you plugging in to a GFCI receptacle? It's been a week since you posted anything. Did you get it figured out?

Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote