Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Tech Talk
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Surge/Voltage protector? Eagle HT 26.5 RLS

I've started accessory shopping for the new addition -

Dealer strongly advises getting one when we pick our unit up in several weeks.
Wow, are they spendy!
Is it a good thing to get?
Jayco doesn't say - does this unit come wired for 30amp or 50amp? (not getting the larger AC, if that matters..)
Any preferences as to brand?
External or internal? External seems nice in that if it fails, you can still plug in directly. But it seems like it may be something that could "walk away", also....
Flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

Congrats on the new 5'er Flapper! I moved this to Tech Talk forum to get more traffic for ya
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

I would never say not to get one. You never know when it will save you. That said, I have had a TT stored at a campground at the ocean for the last 10 years. With the first one, which I had till last July, I never had one. Never had any issues either. Good luck I guess, or perhaps a campground that knows how to maintain pedestals. I go every July 4th week, at which time every site is filled and everyone is running their ac. I did have to replace the end once that plugs into the pedestal. It looked burnt and worn/eaten away. With the new Jayco, I purchased a 50amp to 30amp adapter. Hope this eliminates that issue. I still have not purchased a surge protector, but because of all the electronics in this unit verus the old, I am going to. I intend on getting a Progressive Industries protector. It is an external, with a type of lock protector on it which will allow me to padlock it to the pedestal. Lifetime warranty to boot. You can get them just about everywhere, and prices vary greatly. I think Progressive Industries themselves sell them for up around $310, and I am sure that Tweety's has them as well. I found the cheapest though to be Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...ries+ems+pt30c Here is the link to Progressive...http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

I am partial to the hard wired unit from Progressive Industries, easy to install and you don't have to worry about it hanging off the pedestal and someone relieving you of it.

http://tweetys.com/electrical-manage...rdwire-30.aspx
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

I have the larger AC (15,000 BTU) in my 26.5 RKS and it is still a 30 amp unit. I opted for the portable 30 amp surge protector for about $80 rather than the EMS which is around $250 or more. I figure that at the very least, I need protection against power surges and so went with the lesser priced option.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote