Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Suspect breaker failure

I am on shore power, all circuits EXCEPT the 110AC outlets are working and this is even stranger in that I have one 110AC outlet that actually does work.

30A in powers the trailer no problem.
15A - Refer, GFCI, Utility <-- not working (except a single outlet in the pop-out)
15A - Converter; working
20A - Air conditioning; working
20A - Microwave; working

I am trying to find my multi-meter (I thought I put it away last time I used it... can't find the stupid thing) so I can see if there is any voltage on the 15A breaker. BUT doing the plug test (plugging in known working items) only one outlet works. The rest are all dead.

I have already tried to reset the breaker. I don't see any scorching, charring nor do I smell anything burning. The fridge is on 12V/Gas and the microwave works as does the AC. Again I am on shore power. When I kill the 30A main breaker I lose all 110AC appliances. When I turn it back on they all work but the 110AC outlets except the one, don't work.

Any ideas?

Added, this started when I plugged in a Shuttle PC. The outlet is protected by a UPS and the Shuttle was plugged into the UPS which s plugged into shore.
GlockG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Hmmm, after taking several outlets apart and checking for grounds I found the outlet for the fridge looked good. I de-energized the circuit pulled the out let out and took the cover off the back, visual inspection was good, no charring, melting, or signs of the smoke getting out. Re-energized the circuit to test voltage (found my multi-meter in the wrong side of the tool box) found ALL outlets were getting 118VAC.

So I am assuming there is something in the fridge outlet that caused the short and when I took it apart I cleared it. I am picking up a new outlet today and so far chasing wires I have found no defects in the insulation. All systems are 100% operational again.
GlockG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #3

Your outlets are daisy chained together. A bad connection in one outlet can cause several outlets to lose power. The closer the bad connection is to the breaker (power source) the more outlets you'll lose. I've seen this happen in my house also especially when using the "inserted wire" method vice the "wrap the wire around the screw" method. When you opened the outlet you disturbed the connection to the point that it "made" again.

FYI, it wouldn't be considered a "short" circuit as this would trip a breaker. It would be considered an "open" circuit.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

Several 120V outlets are often connected "down-stream" of a GFCI protected outlet.
If the GFCI is tripped any outlets after it will not function until the GFCI is reset.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
Several 120V outlets are often connected "down-stream" of a GFCI protected outlet.
If the GFCI is tripped any outlets after it will not function until the GFCI is reset.
X2 first place I would check.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Team

RV wiring does not use outlets with screw hold downs. They are all generally the wire puncturing method which makes for quick connections. Since they are daisy chained there is potential for open connections. Shorts, not so much so.

They do go bad and I would replace any that do with a conventional ac outlet if there is room for the wiring
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
x3
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote