Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #1

T Mobile Internet

I got the T Mobile internet 4 weeks ago for home. I kept Spectrum which needs cable for 2 weeks to make sure it worked ok. Cancelled Șpectrum at $80 a month and T Mobile is $50.
Decided to take T Mobile with us to Key West to see if it works on the road. Well, let me tell you. Stopped here in Brunswick Ga at the Cracker Barrel for the night. Watching YouTube TV as if I was sitting back home. Getting all the same stuff as at home. Netflix, Paramount +, Amazon Prime video, YouTube tv. Getting 3 bars on the unit and no issues streaming. It’s capable of 5G. It’s fast!
Attached Thumbnails
B233092C-4B40-40CD-AD7D-BA0703DD97B0.jpg   EABBFF5B-781F-4D18-A890-02E620592A6E.jpg   FE959D43-F73F-42B1-B997-9E3B652161F0.jpg   C2E2369E-43E2-4F6B-8BF0-BDEB0C71178C.jpg  
Old 02-23-2022, 07:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
Decided to take T Mobile with us to Key West to see if it works on the road. Well, let me tell you. Stopped here in Brunswick Ga at the Cracker Barrel for the night. Watching YouTube TV as if I was sitting back home. Getting all the same stuff as at home. Netflix, Paramount +, Amazon Prime video, YouTube tv. Getting 3 bars on the unit and no issues streaming. It’s capable of 5G. It’s fast!
TMHI is the best thing to hit our rural neck of the woods in a LONG time!

I don't know if you have followed any of the Facebook or Reddit groups on TMHI, but the general consensus there is that you are not supposed to move it from your "home" address. Users say that TMHI can track where you are using it, and if it's not in the "right" place, they can suspend / cancel you.

I do NOT know from experience if this is the case, but it might be something to be aware of.

I will tell you this, though. Our modem recently got attached to a tower that is about 8 miles away. Normally, we are attached to a tower that is about 1.5 miles away. So, I don't know how true it is that they can tell if you've moved it, because it surely appeared that we moved it, but it never left our house.

It IS great internet though, for sure!! Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2022, 08:16 PM   #3

Cadman has a point. I was told this was home internet and not a "mobile hotspot" which T mobile charges more for. I get 5 gig a month hotspot data on my phone plan free.

I would call and just ask if you can use it while traveling, we might be surprised!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would call and just ask if you can use it while traveling, we might be surprised!
I agree about asking so that you know for sure. I didn't mean to be an alarmist, I just wanted you to be aware that it may be the case.

The TMHI plans are FANTASTIC! We regularly download in the 1+TB in a month of information!! And the price is locked at $50/month. It's a great deal for those that can get it. TM is not available everywhere...
Old 02-23-2022, 11:54 PM   #5

Tried it when it first rolled out and worked well but ran into issues when we took it north in the summer. Talking with tmobile about it and the address can be resigned but is not meant to be mobile. When we returned we got a different tower assigned and speeds dropped. We ended up canceling it as it didn't meet our needs. I'm sure they have improved. Best luck.
pcmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmem View Post
Tried it when it first rolled out and worked well but ran into issues when we took it north in the summer. Talking with tmobile about it and the address can be resigned but is not meant to be mobile. When we returned we got a different tower assigned and speeds dropped. We ended up canceling it as it didn't meet our needs. I'm sure they have improved. Best luck.
Unfortunately, it is hit and miss on their coverage. In places where coverage exists, it works well.

One nice thing about the TMHI plan is that there is no setup fee, and no contract. So, if you try it for one or two months, and it doesn't work in your area, you simply return it. The only thing that you're out is the monthly fees...
Old 02-24-2022, 06:40 AM   #7

Going to be in Key West for a month so will let you guys know if they cancel me. Working great so far.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Team

I just talked with someone in our CG who just bought one for their home service because no other carrier had wifi service available out in the country where they live. Hope she is as satisfied as others report.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #9

I'll be keeping an eye on this. We have fiber to the modem and the price is decent but if it gets too high IO may switch. We have a tower about a mile away.

Only thing I can see having an issue with is T-Mobile apparently blocks VPN traffic so I can't work from home when I need to.

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #10

My TMHI will be here Monday. T-Mobile actually phoned me last week. Must have been because they saw me nosing around their website looking at it.

First 15 days is free trial. SWMBO is skeptical. We have a pregnant Comcast/Xfinity bill each month, I was hoping the TMHI works to cut the expense a little. The TM rep told me this thing can handle a mind boggling 64 connected items, including the TV and a home security system.

Looking at reviews and what not, location is a big factor for speed. TMHI can be a combination of 5G and 4G LTE. This is why T-Mobile was so fast to claim thier 5G was the biggest.

Our cellphones are on T-Mobile and both on 4G LTE. To be honest, using Ookla Speedtest, T-Mobile has a faster download speed than the Xfinity using the WIfi. The TMHI should prove interesting when it arrives next week. I will post results then.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
I got the T Mobile internet 4 weeks ago for home.

Not available in my area, maybe someday.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
My TMHI will be here Monday. T-Mobile actually phoned me last week. Must have been because they saw me nosing around their website looking at it.

First 15 days is free trial. SWMBO is skeptical. We have a pregnant Comcast/Xfinity bill each month, I was hoping the TMHI works to cut the expense a little. The TM rep told me this thing can handle a mind boggling 64 connected items, including the TV and a home security system.

Looking at reviews and what not, location is a big factor for speed. TMHI can be a combination of 5G and 4G LTE. This is why T-Mobile was so fast to claim thier 5G was the biggest.

Our cellphones are on T-Mobile and both on 4G LTE. To be honest, using Ookla Speedtest, T-Mobile has a faster download speed than the Xfinity using the WIfi. The TMHI should prove interesting when it arrives next week. I will post results then.

Murff
They gave us a $50 virtual gift card for signing up.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
They gave us a $50 virtual gift card for signing up.
Same here!

Murff

Old 02-27-2022, 10:37 PM   #14
Site Team

The answer to whether you can move the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway to a location beyond your home is found in T-mobile Home Internet FAQ in the Setting Up section of the webpage. It says:

Can I use the device elsewhere, like my vacation home?

No. The T-Mobile 5G Gateway is specific to your eligible address, so you can't move it from one location to another. This helps us assure that the place of use meets our network standards to provide you and others with a high quality of service.

Sorry if I ruined your day.

I just signed up for the Home Internet service today and received an email this evening from T-Mobile that my Gateway has been shipped. That's impressive being that today is Sunday!

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
The answer to whether you can move the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway to a location beyond your home is found in T-mobile Home Internet FAQ in the Setting Up section of the webpage. It says:

Can I use the device elsewhere, like my vacation home?

No. The T-Mobile 5G Gateway is specific to your eligible address, so you can't move it from one location to another. This helps us assure that the place of use meets our network standards to provide you and others with a high quality of service.

Sorry if I ruined your day.

I just signed up for the Home Internet service today and received an email this evening from T-Mobile that my Gateway has been shipped. That's impressive being that today is Sunday!
Well, well. My day is surely not ruined! I’m down in Key West for the next 30 days!!!
Old 02-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Well, well. My day is surely not ruined! I’m down in Key West for the next 30 days!!!
I’m glad you had a safe, and hopefully, uneventful trip. Did the T-Mobile gateway work there? If it does, I’d keep a watchful eye out for a visit from the T-Mobile SWAT team. I understand they can be brutal.

Enjoy the sun, and your visit. It’s 29ºF here in the Fayette Ridges of PA as I type this.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I’m glad you had a safe, and hopefully, uneventful trip. Did the T-Mobile gateway work there? If it does, I’d keep a watchful eye out for a visit from the T-Mobile SWAT team. I understand they can be brutal.

Enjoy the sun, and your visit. It’s 29ºF here in the Fayette Ridges of PA as I type this.
Moderator?
Old 02-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #18
Site Team

FPM III: I am eagerly looking forward to your experiences with this setup.
I am not really to interested in traveling with it but always open to reducing my $$$ outlay at home. Right now I have a Xfinity unlimited gateway and it is great for what I need just expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Moderator?
Yes! Actually, I wanted to be God but, I was told that position was already taken, so I settled for the Moderator slot instead.

My 3 cellular phones and 1 iPad are on Consumer Cellular (CC) which uses AT&T’s cellular network. With the 35GB data plan I have with them, I have to constantly monitor my data usage closely because if I exceed my data limit, CC automatically moves me to their next higher, 50GB for $55/mo. data plan. We’ve never been able to do any data intensive things like videos or streaming and large software updates had be done using a public Wi-Fi or wait until the end of the billing period if I had enough data remaining in my plan to apply them.

Where was your T-Mobile gateway shipped from? I haven’t received a tracking number yet.

Old 02-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #20

I received the TMHI package today. To answer FPM III's question, it was shipped from Ft. Worth TX.

I now have it set up with an ethernet cable to my PC. Did a speedtest comparison via OOKLA on it vs. my Concast Xfinity. Xfinity download speed was 94.40mbps and upload was 6.00. T-Mobile was 133.2 download and 8.2 upload. The T-Mobile is 5G according to the front panel on the modem. Also have 3 or 4 out of 5 bars on the signal strength. Seems it changes sometimes.

AS SWMBO doesn't care much for change, I think we will be continuing with the SOBs at Concast but she can surprise me at times.

Murff