Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

tailgater from dish network

Has anyone purchased the dish network tailgater for there camper? if so any reviews would be helpful pros or cons.

Thanks,

joeortego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Have Dish at home so we bought a Tailgater for the camper and it is great. The only time we had problems is when were in Payson Az during the monsoons. We would lose it then it would come right back on. The clouds and rain were to thick for the signal. Other than that I think that it was one of the best thing we got for camping.

2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #3

We purchased the Dish Network Tailgater in May for our trip out west to CO. Performed perfectly. Secured it to the TT with a HD cable/lock, pointed south, turned it on and after it spent about 4 minutes automatically locating the satelltes, it worked like a charm. Will be using it again next month in south FL.
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #4

Have seen it being used by numerous RV'ers and all speak highly about it. I upgraded my RV system from SD to HD last Fall and went with a 1000.4 conventional dish mounted on a tripod. That dish comes with micro adjustments that really makes it easy to finetune for the strongest signal. I toyed with getting the tailgater and may still add one as another option next year. I went with the conventional dish for 2 reasons. I have been setting up and tuning the dish signal for many years since I use it on a houseboat [adjust every time you set up] and TT. Its not that hard with most of the set up time spent on getting the tripod level. The 2nd reason is that the tailgater will only support a single receiver. My dish can support a dual receiver so I can tune a different channel on the bedroom tv. We'll see how I feel after our trip south in a couple weeks. I only have a single receiver so the extra channel thing is moot this year. My plan is to receive local channels via the OTA roof ant so wife can watch network shows while I enjoy Swamp people or Life below Zero out front via the dish.

When we get home, I may be buying a tailgater but I may be forced to swap my dual DVR from the house to the RV when we travel. The swap is pretty simple other than marking all the wiring in my home ET center so I can hook it up when we return.

Think you will like the tailgater. by all accounts it works as advertised.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

How difficult are these to set up? My X23B has a satellite connection on the outside of the trailer. I just have the 1 TV so having the option of dual receivers is not important.
I have been less than satisfied with my OTA signals, herky jerky picture, losing the signal and back on again, very frustrating to say the least.

Thanks from a satellite "newbie".......
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

Honestly, I just learned about these this week. You plug them in, turn them on, and after 3-5 minutes, you are watching TV. They auto-locate the satellite upon power up. You may have to change the setting on your receiver from Home to Mobile, but they are very easy to use.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

Wondering why they say the tailgater will only support a single receiver? A few years ago when upgrading to HD at home, the Dish installer swapped out my SD quad dish and installed ah HD dish that only supported 2 output ports. When I told him I needed 3 outputs because I used a dual receiver to support 2 main tvs and a single receiver in a bedroom, he showed me the splitter or switch he routinely used to send the signal to both sides of a dual receiver using a single coax input from the dish. He said that is how they are trained and how he has installed new systems for years. Guess he was correct, because it has worked perfectly ever since. So why can't you use the same switch to separate the signal to a dual receiver or two single receivers? Has anybody ever tried this?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

From what our rep told me.. its because of the single output. Since it is only set up to track one signal at a time, it can only support one receiver.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

From Dish website in the Questions & Answers section:

Quote:
Can I use multiple receivers with the Tailgater®?

No. The Tailgater® has a single coaxial connection to support one ViP 211k receiver. However, multiple TVs can be supported with shared viewing. The receiver's audio/video output can be sent to multiple TVs via HDMI, component +audio, composite or coaxial cable.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wondering why they say the tailgater will only support a single receiver? A few years ago when upgrading to HD at home, the Dish installer swapped out my SD quad dish and installed ah HD dish that only supported 2 output ports. When I told him I needed 3 outputs because I used a dual receiver to support 2 main tvs and a single receiver in a bedroom, he showed me the splitter or switch he routinely used to send the signal to both sides of a dual receiver using a single coax input from the dish. He said that is how they are trained and how he has installed new systems for years. Guess he was correct, because it has worked perfectly ever since. So why can't you use the same switch to separate the signal to a dual receiver or two single receivers? Has anybody ever tried this?
Your home system has multiple LNBs that is why you can use a switch to use additional receivers. What dish is doing is band stacking so all channels are available on a single cable up to the splitter at the receiver.

2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2007 Tahoe toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote