Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #1

Tan cable from roof to splitter - need splitter location

Hi Folks, a little help here with two questions please?

2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

1)
I want to pull that tan coax from the roof antenna back in to the cabin and a pull string with it.

I NEED to find the other end where it attaches to the splitter, but tying to get that info from Jayco isn't fruitful.

Does anyone know if the splitter is in the panel behind the TV in the very front of the overhead? It looks like the cable is headed that direction towards the front. Can you attest to this or show me a pic please?

2) At the door entrance to the left there are overhead kitchen cabinets and there is a concealed space a few inches thick on the end. It looks like a good place to pull some cables to or mount a display etc, but I don't know what's already in there. Does anyone know before I go unscrewing a set of cabinets to find out?

THANKS in advance!

Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #2

The way it "COULD" turn while in the roof I don't know if I would attempt that. You may loose the cable & string. If you only have 2 TV connections there may not be a splitter since the amp usually has 2 outputs. One on the front and one on the back along side the input.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #3

OK WHERE IS THE AMP?? No more mystery.

I'm asking a point blank question. I need to run this cable - yesterday

Attached Thumbnails
antenna first run 2.jpg   I NEED ANSWERS.jpg   20200705_112216-small.jpg   I NEED ANSWERS-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0068796_D_1-4_051217.pdf (295.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

The amp should be in one of the cabinets on either side of the TV. The button you push to get over the air channels Looks like a switch wall plate. If they wired the GREYHAWK's like the 1st generation SENECA's that wire probably drops out a hole in the ceiling behind the TV. Splitter may be hanging there too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winegard-...IaAmMcEALw_wcB
Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM   #5

AHA! That's the kinda boots on the ground info I can work with, THANKS again. I don't recall a plate w a push button but I'm pretty sure there's a catv wall plate in there I can remove and hopefully gain access to the amp.

I removed the LED light fixtures in the overhead cab and the wires are below the moisture barrier and seem to have slack and free space. It might be that I could run cable not where the existing tan cable is, but at the bottom of the hole just above the ceiling materials and have an easier path.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

We've got a slightly different model but our amp looks like this and is directly behind the living room TV.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...caArsIEALw_wcB
Old 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #7

Thanks again, I certainly hope I have one there and I can monkey my way up to unhook the cable and pull either direction.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
CAG

If you check in the tools section I posted full wiring, coax etc for the 2017 29MVP.

I think it shows splitters and anything else you might need.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #9

Where is there a TOOLS section? I can't find it. What's the path? Got a link?

I got up in there and unscrewed EVERYTHING, found the amp and the splitter. Each of them has a tan cable going to it from somewhere else. I pulled on the cable coming in to the amp, no give. I pulled from the roof again, it feels like it's sandwiched between the roof and some frame.

I pulled on the other one, no give. They're in a big bundle of other cables about 2.5" thick or so.

The beige panel where the cables disappear into is tiny nailed/stapled to the frame and I can't remove it as I would have no way to put it back again.

I could use the hole in the roof and go between the vapor barrier and ceiling but it would probably show a bubble where the cable run is and it still wouldn't put me where I want to be.

So close, and yet so far.

Attached Thumbnails
20200708_203203-small.jpg   20200708_203100-small.jpg   20200708_202805-small.jpg   20200708_202104-small.jpg   20200708_202041-small.jpg  

Old 07-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #10

A trick used by many dealers is to use the a/c ducting as a wire chase. Not sure what you are trying to add, but they do that when adding a auto sat dish. Of course that means you need to drill a hole in the roof and add an entry plate. Use a phis tape to be sure the duct goes past the TV so you can access it near your other wires.

https://www.campingworld.com/outdoor...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #11

Right, as in the pics, I already HAVE a hole in the roof directly above the entrance door where the old sat knob was = post #3. (why would an A/C duct go to behind the TV? I don't want to use the ducts)

My plan has been to re use that hole and put my junction box on top of it. I want to pull the 5-in-1 antenna cables to the TV cabinet recess where I'll mount the WiFi -Lte router. These cables are appr 1/2" diam bundle.

In addition I need to run a small gauge 2 conductor wire from that hole in to the dash area via whatever means.

If I remove the ceiling trim will I be able to go under the ceiling sheets?

Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
If I remove the ceiling trim will I be able to go under the ceiling sheets?
Doubtful. If I remember correctly the ceiling material sits on top of the sidewall since the roof is dropped in place as one complete assembly.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #13

The attached diagram from Jayco shows a lot of steel beams and blocked off area so I dunnu if I can even fish from that hole forward to the front or not.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0053125_R_1-2_021216.pdf (197.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #14
CAG

[QUOTE=Captain Morgan;873600]Where is there a TOOLS section? I can't find it. What's the path? Got a link?

I got up in there and unscrewed EVERYTHING, found the amp and the splitter. Each of them has a tan cable going to it from somewhere else. I pulled on the cable coming in to the amp, no give. I pulled from the roof again, it feels like it's sandwiched between the roof and some frame.

I pulled on the other one, no give. They're in a big bundle of other cables about 2.5" thick or so.

The beige panel where the cables disappear into is tiny nailed/stapled to the frame and I can't remove it as I would have no way to put it back again.

I could use the hole in the roof and go between the vapor barrier and ceiling but it would probably show a bubble where the cable run is and it still wouldn't put me where I want to be.

So close, and yet so far.

My bad. I was thinking of the Heartland site and the manuals are under tools. In this case my post and schematics is in the Manuals section. I was out of pocket for a few days or would have gotten back sooner.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #15

No need to quote, I know you're talking to ME about my subject, it isn't ambiguous.

Folks, in the future can you please just paste a path and link to your post or document reference so everyone else forever doesn't have to go fishing for it?

Something like "It can be found under Jayco RV Owners Forum > Downloads > Miscellaneous > 2018 Greyhawk DISH Tailgator - Cabling Schematic"

2018 Greyhawk DISH Tailgator - Cabling Schematic : Thread Discussion (275.1 KB) 12-11-201974

After the alarm install today I'm heading back to HF etc to buy a 3' drill bit and some other things to get through the lengths of styro and wood and steel. 3 hail Mary's.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
CAG

So nice of you to thank me for trying to assist. Especially after my apology for not giving better directions.

I have some problem making my iPad “cut and paste” or I would have done that. I usually do but did not have the laptop which makes that task easier.

One needs to consider that there may be circumstances on the other end of a typed response that prevents some tasks.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #17

*sigh* I don't mean to sound ungrateful. I went fishing the first time and there was no TOOLS folder to be found on this site. I went fishing a second time and there was nothing under MANUALS, I eventually discerned what you did under Misc for a 2018. So THANK YOU for the attempt. And you're correct, it doesn't occur to me that anyone has a problem with copy and paste. My bad.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #18
CAG

You are correct. Trying to work from memory, in an attempt to help led you on a bit of a "path" where you eventually found what I was trying to help with. There is a lesson here, and one that I preach often on this site and that is try the search feature, or the material that is already available before adding another thread to a long list of repeats of the same topic.

No doubt that the Mods will take this down but it is not unusual to see two and sometimes three of the same questions in the same list. I enjoy helping when I can, and in this case I should have waited until I could get to the computer rather that the tablet as the tablet is limited when trying to navigate this and other sites.

Fact is with this one it is under manuals, and then misc and I got the year wrong because my E450 is a 2017 even though Jayco chooses to call the rig a 2018.

To top all of this off, related to doing searches first, I seldom post a question here when I can get the same and more accurate info directly from the source. Those schematics I posted came from Jayco because I could not find them anywhere else on this site. Jayco has been quite helpful in-spite of what some others have posted.

I am glad you got the info you needed and I will, in the future, not post info unless I can give a trail to it. I usually do, and broke my own rule this time.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
The attached diagram from Jayco shows a lot of steel beams and blocked off area so I dunnu if I can even fish from that hole forward to the front or not.
You might look closer at that diagram. You might be interpreting some of them as beams, when actually they are just a 24ga sheet metal placed behind the thin luan interior sheet. They are to give the screws that they mount the cabinets and other stuff something more substantial to screw into.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #20

@ CAG - I hope you'll continue to contribute and I would welcome any info and boots on the ground experience, I mean that! I hope I can return the favor some day. I don't want their to be any hard feelings, sorry for sounding insensitive.

Slopoke - I agree with you but you never know what folks are calling beams these day. Surely they want to keep the cost and weight down, but I wouldn't even really know what bit to buy. I was standing in HF early today looking at their 3' bit with a special bite on the end wondering if it would even tackle metal sheeting.

Today was a weird day. I had all the stuff in the front cabinet exposed, light fixture and speakers out and hanging, a mess. So the first things I did was to sort and organize the cables in the cabinet and put all that back together.

I decided to put the A/V dist in the main cabinet where visible in case I want to use it or replace it in the future with something better. I had to trim about 1/2" off one edge to allow for cables to go under the face board. Then I started sorting and wrapping cables with velcro and bundling slack. It took a few iterations of re routing and working backwards in reconnecting but I finally got everything squared up and presentable.

When reaching up to put a curtain strip back I noticed some light between the ceiling pieces. A-HA!! I'm must be on to something. I pried around a while and used a putty knife across the seam and was hitting was seemed like brackets. Except for something that felt a lot like a bundle of cables

Now after that, I decided to take another stab (quite literally) at pushing the fish toward the front and center and was able to push the fish as far as I could with the pieces that hadn't broken yet. Yeah the damned thing broke and I tore a hole in my ceiling. <insert fury here>

I was tuckered out by then and smelled even worse so I called it a day with the fish right where it is. I'm going to buy another set and keep screwing on pieces and hope the whole thing doesn't break off in the ceiling in some irretrievable way.

My hope is that I can make it all the way to the front and down at the cap and pull my wifi cables in the same hole.

As a final word here, if anyone ever wants to mess with these cables, do not and I double damned repeat DO NOT mess with the black tape they use or remove it. If you r e al l y want to, go slather your arms in lotion or wear a long sleeved shirt you plan to throw away. That black electrical tape goo will cover and stain anything it comes in contact with and you'll spend as much time dealing with black goo as you did on your project.

Attached Thumbnails
20200708_202041-small.jpg   20200712_122939-small.jpg   20200712_122927-small.jpg   20200712_124433-small.jpg   20200712_151828-small.jpg