Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2021, 11:50 PM   #1

Teknosha Primus throwing a SH code

Got the Primus Brake controller installed in truck .

Before I get into the details note that I ordered thru Amazon got a decent price and it came fast. BUT when i opened the plastic shipping envelope everything i ordered was out of their respected package as if it was all opened and then thrown on the soft envelope !

Along with the Primus I bought the Dodge Ram correct wiring jumper . I;ve been redoing the wiring on my Jayco 1207 nad with that finished I went to install the brake controller .
With the truck off and no connection to trailer the Controller throws a blinking 'SH' code Which means theres a Short somewhere.

I have factory tow package and 7 way factory socket in rear bumper.

The orig owner who I bought the truck from towed a pop up alot and he had a Brake controller as well . So I dont suspect that the Truck wiring is faulty. But never say never.

One troublshoot method I have read involves cutting the Blue wire in the jumper between the Primus and the connector to the trucks tow wiring harness.

I'm not pysched about cutting a brand new jumper although I can solder it back no problem. This would tell me if fault is in truck tow wiring or controller.
Would blown batt aux fuse throw this code ?

The fact that the Amazon shipped gear may have been banged around pretty good and caused the Primus to fail is not making me feel any better .

Any thoughts suggestions on how to proceed ?
sturoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

First, I would return that BC and have Amazon replace it with an unopened box. I would open your underhood fuse box and check all fuses associated with the trailer connector, sometimes 2-4 fuses. I would suspect trailer end short, which would blow truck fuses when you plug in the 7 way. I know, I did it. Trailer was hooked up to shore power when I plugged the 7 way in and blew the truck fuses from the back feed. One other thing to check on the trailer for a short which is very common, is where the brake wires run thru the axle tube from one side to the other, sometimes the wire gets chafed from rubbing on the steel axle tube, thus causing a short. You can just run a new wire outside of the axle tube, to rule that out.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #3

Make sure that the Prius IQ is wired thru the correct truck wires. Double check that.