Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

television connections..help!!!!

ok this topic might be here someplace but I can't find it.
We have a brand new jayco swift 26bhs. It came with an entertainment package which included the DVD, surround sound, mp3 player all wired in to the wall where the tv goes. We bought a new tv and the only cords that go into the tv from the dvd player are 3 , 1 yellow, 1 red. 1 white. My question is...those are standered video cables and our dvd player is HDMI, how can I hook up the tv to the built in player with an HDMI cable which I can not get to the back of, its in the wall...please let me know how anyone got this done. The picture shows the square black dvd player straight ahead.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Leigh and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #2

I am not sure where the plug for you HDMI cable is located??? Is it on the back of the DVD player? If it is, then I would pull the unit out of the mount, plug an HDMI cable into the DVD player and run the cable to the TV location. Is there suppose to be a HDMI plug in the wall where the other cords are?

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

If you really must have/want HDMI connections then you need to pull the built in player out to make the connection then reinstall. Then you will need to fish the HDMI cable to the TV, might mean drilling a hole in the space above the DVD.

We just use the RCA cables. Picture quality is fine considering the smaller TV.

I cant remember for sure, but HDMI may be video only, if you use that cable be sure to also run AV or Optical cables for sound.

If your TV requires HDMI, and you only have RCA cables available there are RCA to HDMI adapters
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh and Barb View Post
We have a brand new jayco swift 26bhs. It came with an entertainment package which included the DVD, surround sound, mp3 player all wired in to the wall where the tv goes. We bought a new tv and the only cords that go into the tv from the dvd player are 3 , 1 yellow, 1 red. 1 white. My question is...those are standered video cables and our dvd player is HDMI, how can I hook up the tv to the built in player with an HDMI cable which I can not get to the back of, its in the wall...please let me know how anyone got this done. The picture shows the square black dvd player straight ahead.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean so let me see if I have it correct.

You have the Jensen radio/mp3/dvd player in your cabinet and then you have the red, white and yellow cables coming out of the unit? Correct?

Then you purchased a new TV and want to use HDMI cables to connect the Jensen to the new TV? Correct?

I have a Jensen AWM965 radio unit in my 2012 DSBH. It does the radio, mp3 and DVD. I actually just took the Jensen out of the wall today to see what connections I had in the back of it and I was disappointed. The unit has NO inputs in the back. The only thing on the back is a single set of composite cables (yellow, red, white) which output the audio and video to the TV. There is no HDMI output.

Your unit may have the HDMI cables since I do not know what unit you have. All you have to do is unscrew the 4 screws at the corner of the Jensen and pull the whole unit out. Then look at the back of the unit and you might find your hdmi output. If you have one, connect the HDMI cable to the unit and then follow the path that the composite cables (yellow, red, white) run to the TV and connect it. Then screw the JEnsen back in place.

HDMI will do audio and video in the single cable.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
If you have a Jensen AWM975 and HDMI stamped on the front then you will need to remove the unit and run an HDMI cable from the output as stated above. If you have any other model you most likely do not have an HDMI Jensen unit. You will also need to run either the white, red RCA plugs, digital, or optical outputs from the TV to the input jacks on the DVD player if you want surrond sound to play from the TV when you are hooked to either OTA or Cable TV.

While your there is you have an I-pod you will want to purchase an interface cable that fits your type and plug that in too if you want it to interface with the unit. Otherwise you just plug it into the front and use the I-pod to control the options.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

Thank you for all the help. I think I will have to find an adapter to go from the red, yellow, white cords to an HDMI cord for the tv.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you for all the help. I think I will have to find an adapter to go from the red, yellow, white cords to an HDMI cord for the tv.

What is the model number of your Jensen and what model number is your TV? I find it hard to believe that your TV doesn't have a composite (red,yellow,white) input.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

X2
Putting an adaptor in will not provide you HD 1020 picture.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
X2
Putting an adaptor in will not provide you HD 1020 picture.

You are correct. I never had a connection that would produce 1020.:hihi: The adaptor will not produce 1080 either.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #10

the tv does have AV connections but the DVD picture from the Jensen built in DVD player to the brand new tv is not as good as we had hoped. You buy a high quility tv and all the new DVD's are in HD so knowing what the picture is like in the house, we were hoping for the same in the camper. We decided when we bought the new camper that came with the entertainment package...we would allow it to be our 1 "glamp" that we would do while camping. We just went from a pop-up to this trailer and what a change. We do everything outside when camping and usually only go inside at night to sleep and during bad weather so having a tv in the camper to enjoy is a big change...but we are grateful to have what we do and will make do with it as it is.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I would be disappointed that a new TT did not come with an HDMI DVD player. We bought one at Wallymart for $40 a couple years ago.
We just moved from a PU to a TT this year so I am also looking forward to having a TV for raining days :-)

Happy camping,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote