Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Television no channel's

Know I've seen topic somewhere but can't find again. Most recent trip out, CG had cable available so hooked up and made certain OTA amplifier was off. TV in living area worked just fine but bedroom TV would scan and find no channels and say to scan again. Moved same TV outside and same issue with the exception that at end of scan would say TV to shut down in 60 seconds. Never got to find channels, any suggestions? I have on other occasions got this TV to work using OTA so know that TV is good. TIA
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Did you change the TV to Channel Search on "Cable" instead of "Antenna"?
This might seem like a dumb question, but it happens.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

My OTA has a switch to change from antenna to off to cable.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Done that, thanks though
Grumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #5

Have you tried a different cable from the wall to the tv? It is very possible you have a bad cable. The cheap cables used by Jayco and come with TV's, dvd, etc have issues with the ends becoming loose and not have a good connection. The cables you can buy at Wally World, Best Buy or CVS normally have higher grade cable and better attached connectors.

You could just trade the cable from the tv you know gets a signal to test.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa View Post
Know I've seen topic somewhere but can't find again. Most recent trip out, CG had cable available so hooked up and made certain OTA amplifier was off. TV in living area worked just fine but bedroom TV would scan and find no channels and say to scan again. Moved same TV outside and same issue with the exception that at end of scan would say TV to shut down in 60 seconds. Never got to find channels, any suggestions? I have on other occasions got this TV to work using OTA so know that TV is good. TIA
Grumpa - Something I noticed on our rig... The TV in the living area receives OTA 50% of the time due to camping locations. We generally defer to coax/cable feed if the camping location offers it for reception. We haven't added a second TV to the bedroom yet but I did notice that the coax feed shows "Cable/Satellite". So I'm thinking the feed isn't hooked up directly to the antenna. If that's the case, you might have to work around it for OTA.

Most all new TV's have integrated digital receivers in them, so all they need is some kind of external antenna for reception. There are aftermarket antennas that you can use but being inside the camper and generally away from town, this may prove ineffective. Which leads to sharing the outside antenna over a cable splitter. You'd have to locate where the OTA comes in, tie in a coupler/splitter and then attach the coaxial feeds for the living room and bedroom to "share" the OTA signal. Since my living room comes with a booster, this may be a requirement for the bedroom as well. Otherwise, you can fall back to a smart TV that's got wifi and/or USB to watch streaming media - or possibly just use the feed as designed and watch cable. Just depends on how much trouble you want to go through for TV.

Good Luck!