Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #1

Television Questions?

I have been reading different posts on different type TV’s being installed. Pros and cons on different types. My trailer came with the Furrion in both the living area and the bedroom. I had intended on just putting one in the bedroom myself, but when the salesman came to me with the price I wanted and asked if we had a deal? I said yes if you throw in a bedroom TV. I am not impressed with the Furrion picture, it’s not bad for a trailer, but not like what I have in the house. If I decided to replace the Furrion or needed to, these are my questions:

1) Aren’t these TV’s designed to handle the vibration and shock that a TV for the house isn’t? The Furrion seems to be a little stouter.

2) My Samsung at home doesn’t have the channel scan, air or cable in the menu set. Is it that the Furrion is just stupid and has to be told to do this where as the Samsung would do it automatically?

3) The antenna booster you have to turn off when your on cable. Does this have any effect on the type of TV? Again would the Samsung compensate for a cable hook up vs on board antenna?

I’m just not seeing anything in the menu set in the home TV that puts me through the process I have to go through at a campground. We don’t watch it enough for us to even consider a disk or satellite service. We just like some news with our coffee in the morning. If we watch it at night it’s DVD’s.

Thanks

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #2

All my tv's at home have ATSC tuners built in and there is an option to scan OTA for stations. The tv's that came with my RV are 720P, the lowest HD resolution. I took the outside tv out and put a better mount that swivels, tilts, and pulls out. The tv's are cheap low quality. I'm going to buy a new one on black Friday, they are so cheap who cares if it lasts only a few years.

If you don't have the option to scan for channels, does the tv have an F connector to connect coax our is it only HDMI? There was a short time period a long long time ago where manufacturers made and sold tv's without tuners, just rgb HDMI but that was 10 years ago,!
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 PM   #3

All my home TV's have OTA tuning. In the menu settings look for input selection. It might be set up for cable but you should be able to find how to change it to antenna.

As to stability and durability that is interesting. I would expect any TV properly mounted and with due diligence driving SHOULD be okay. But driving warp speed over a bumpy road is never a good thing on TT....

Turn off antenna booster when watching cable.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 PM   #4

Here is a picture from my 5 year old Sony (sorry Samsung is down stairs). Under Settings, then channel is the ability to select Antenna. But if you don't have a coax input (and only have HDMI) on the back you can't do cable or antenna.

No idea why it turned it sideways...
Attached Thumbnails
20191118_203422.jpg  
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

I do have all the proper connections on the back of the TV. I also did find the OTA in the setup menu, with the ability to scan. I just kept looking in settings, rather than set up. Now when I decide to upgrade only time will tell if a TV for home can handle road abuse. As mentioned they are fairly inexpensive, so if you only get a few seasons out of it, by that time the latest and greatest price will have dropped. Then again they have taken some of these picture technologies to a point where I can’t tell the difference anymore. Especially on a 42” TV.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

My TT came with one Furrion 32" in living room.
I put it in the bedroom, and a Samsung in the living room.
Reason for this, is my phone is a Samsung. Using the SmartView option
with Samsung products whatever is on my phone is on my TV.

With the Direct TV app, Amazon Prime video etc. easiest way for me to view tv.
Last couple RV parks I've stayed at I didn't even bother to hook up the free cable.

The Furrion in the bedroom will be replaced shortly with another Samsung.
Another benefit is the Samsung 32" is roughly 5lb lighter than the Furrion.

If you have connection on your phone or wifi where your at you have tv.
CaptJerry is offline   Reply With Quote