Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #1

Terrain trips gfci on 20A shore power

I have a 30A 110v circuit at home that works great. Am in NC visiting relatives and want to connect to a 20A circuit but it keeps tripping the gfci. Tried both 20 and 15 in parameter 28 on the Renogy 3500w solar charger inverter. Tried 3 different buldings and 5 separate outlets with no success.

Any ideas on what to do next?
IthacaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Are all GFCI protected?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Yep. My 30amp at home is not gfi. Service rep from RV Albany says that the gfi in the renogy system may be causing the gfi in the wall to trip. No strategy to fix problem was offered.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:02 PM   #4

Maybe it's just an " old wives tale " but my understanding is a GFCI cannot feed another GFCI .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Maybe it's just an " old wives tale " but my understanding is a GFCI cannot feed another GFCI .
I think you are correct. I am going to try and use an UPS between the two gfci systems to see if that can isolate the two.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #6

There isn't any reason electrically speaking why you can't have multiple gfci outlets on the same circuit. The reason it isn't common is that having multiple gfci's on the same circuit comes at a cost and provides no additional benefit.

Most RV's seem to have issues with being plugged into any gfci outlet, likely due to a miniscule amount of electrical leakage, many times with the water heater so be sure to turn it off (turn the breaker off) as one of the first items to check. Overall, I would try to avoid plugging into a gfci outlet for an RV. ~CA
Old 09-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

The only outlet I can plug into when MH is on the street in front of my house is a 20 amp gfci line. I can run the A/C on it alone but I can 't plug anything into an outlet in the RV without tripping it inside the house at the panel. Befuddling since the running amps for the A/C aren't so high as to cause an overload with just a vaccum cleaner, it's a brand new breaker as well. I'm just chalking it up to Craig's caution about RV's and ground fault circuits.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
The only outlet I can plug into when MH is on the street in front of my house is a 20 amp gfci line. I can run the A/C on it alone but I can 't plug anything into an outlet in the RV without tripping it inside the house at the panel. Befuddling since the running amps for the A/C aren't so high as to cause an overload with just a vaccum cleaner, it's a brand new breaker as well. I'm just chalking it up to Craig's caution about RV's and ground fault circuits.
If the breaker in the house is an arc fault type breaker,it may not like the vacuum cleaner which likely has a motor with brushes, which arc when it is running.

I plug my Skylark into a gfci outlet on a 20 amp circuit when I power it at home with no issues. I can run the A/C and all the lights (leds), but cannot use the water heater on electric nor the microwave when the A/C is running.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthacaDon View Post
I have a 30A 110v circuit at home that works great. Am in NC visiting relatives and want to connect to a 20A circuit but it keeps tripping the gfci. Tried both 20 and 15 in parameter 28 on the Renogy 3500w solar charger inverter. Tried 3 different buldings and 5 separate outlets with no success.

Any ideas on what to do next?
Turn off all the breakers in the trailer and plug in to the 20 amp circuit. Then turn on the breakers one at a time. When the gfci trips, the problem is on that circuit. If the gfci trips with all the breakers off you have a grounding issue in your trailer electrical panel or main power cord.

Use an outlet tester to check the outlet you are using and each outlet in your RV.
Attached Images