Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #1

The porch light strip doesn't work on my 2018 Jayco Hummingbird

It flashes briefly and then goes off when I turn on the switch inside. Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?
kuhnsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhnsmith View Post
It flashes briefly and then goes off when I turn on the switch inside. Any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this?
It is more than likely the light. Its a real weak spot on the hummingbird. I have had mine replaced twice under warranty.When this one dies I will go on the hunt for a much better quality light.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #3

Thanks for you reply!

I assume that when you say "light" you mean the light strip and not the wiring to it, the switch inside, or the remote, right? Did you have the thing repaired by a Jayco dealer or? I'd like to buy a new light strip if that's what it needs and put it in myself.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
I assume that when you say "light" you mean the light strip and not the wiring to it, the switch inside, or the remote, right? Did you have the thing repaired by a Jayco dealer or? I'd like to buy a new light strip if that's what it needs and put it in myself.
I had the local jayco dealer do the work only because they are close and it was. Warranty. Yes It was the light strip. It does not look like it will take much to replace it,if you open the awning the light connects to the harness at the top front of the awning support ( right side if you are facing the door).Oh yea one other thing you might run into,the pop up power supply by the kitchen sink might just stop working--- the darn thing comes unplugged from the outlet under the sink. Easy fix remove the panel (left side ) and plug it back in , I secured the cord,end of problem. One other thing the blue night lite by the bed if you hold the button down it turns into a bright reading lite. Hope you enjoy your hummingbird as much as we have.We have had just a few problems nothing major just little stuff .
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:00 PM   #5

I really appreciate all of your help!

It's great being able to connect with someone who has the same trailer I do.

I went camping last weekend (Silver Creek Falls State Park, Oregon) and it was beautiful and sunny but cold at night. I couldn't get the heater to work (I HATE the thermostat because it hurts my finger to flip the on/off switch so I just got a new digital one to replace it). The fan would come on briefly and then go off even though I had the propane tank turned on and the thermo was set to go on. I hope the new thermostat fixes the problem! Speaking of the popup thingie, it doesn't pop up very far, Is that normal? Anyway, I fortunately had a portable heater with me and the outlet in the popup thingie seemed to be pretty loose so the heater went off in the middle of the night so I figured that I'd blown a fuse. Turns out that If I plugged the heater into another outlet in the popup it stayed on. The popup seems pretty funky to me...

Other than these things, I like the trailer a lot. Oh yeah, except for the locks for the storage bays. They're really cheap and I've had to replace all of them since I couldn't get them open with the keys.

I had almost the same trailer (briefly) because it was stolen from the lot I park it in in broad daylight even though I had a lock on the hitch. It had the rear kitchen which was nice and roomy but I didn't like the bathroom at all. I miss the slid out that the other one had but I like the rear bathroom a lot! I'd like to put a small window somewhere in the bathroom but even though have the the schematics for the trailer that seem to show that it would be possible the dealer advises against it because of concern about leaks. I'm not worried as long as I can put a window where it won't compromise the skeleton of the trailer. In case you haven't noticed, I can't leave anything alone without modifying it!
Old 01-24-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
RPR

Heater may be the sail switch. Heater fan comes, sail switch detects air flow and then turns gas heat on. If no air flow is detected it will not let the gas heat turn on and will shut fan off.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

You may check the large plastic nut on the pop up outlet ( under the sink ) mine was loose,that my be your problem with the pop-up not being high enough. A 22 long rifle shell fits over the thermostat lever like it was made for it , no more fighting the darn thing. As far as the heater not coming on i have always purged the system by turning on and lighting the 2 stove burners if that doesn't do it I don't have an answer for you ,but there are some really sharp people on this site that can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

Thanks again!

Sail switch, eh? I did turn on ONE of the burners just to see if I had any gas and I did. I'll see if I can find that switch!
Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #9

We bought a 2017 RB new and had a few problems "brakes" but overall a great little camper. Only light issue was the little blue ones up front. For 2 years we would stay 3 months in Florida for the winter,This little camper function as it should for me and my wife. Because of covid it will be 2 years this April it hasn't moved. Hope things will get better we would like to go west this spring? Time will tell. I would check to see if you have a loose connect at the switch or outside where the light strip plugs in
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
It's great being able to connect with someone who has the same trailer I do.

I went camping last weekend (Silver Creek Falls State Park, Oregon) and it was beautiful and sunny but cold at night. I couldn't get the heater to work (I HATE the thermostat because it hurts my finger to flip the on/off switch so I just got a new digital one to replace it). The fan would come on briefly and then go off even though I had the propane tank turned on and the thermo was set to go on. I hope the new thermostat fixes the problem! Speaking of the popup thingie, it doesn't pop up very far, Is that normal? Anyway, I fortunately had a portable heater with me and the outlet in the popup thingie seemed to be pretty loose so the heater went off in the middle of the night so I figured that I'd blown a fuse. Turns out that If I plugged the heater into another outlet in the popup it stayed on. The popup seems pretty funky to me...

Other than these things, I like the trailer a lot. Oh yeah, except for the locks for the storage bays. They're really cheap and I've had to replace all of them since I couldn't get them open with the keys.

I had almost the same trailer (briefly) because it was stolen from the lot I park it in in broad daylight even though I had a lock on the hitch. It had the rear kitchen which was nice and roomy but I didn't like the bathroom at all. I miss the slid out that the other one had but I like the rear bathroom a lot! I'd like to put a small window somewhere in the bathroom but even though have the the schematics for the trailer that seem to show that it would be possible the dealer advises against it because of concern about leaks. I'm not worried as long as I can put a window where it won't compromise the skeleton of the trailer. In case you haven't noticed, I can't leave anything alone without modifying it!
Here is something you may want to modify. You mentioned having the rear bathroom,that is one of the reasons we bought this model. I added 2 more straps to the pocket door. DW and I camp a lot on the northern California coast. Winding roads are the norm. One strap was not enough to keep it closed.