Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 AM   #1

thermostat problem

We just bought a 29 ft trailor and when we set it up at home we cant get the thermostat to work.there is no air conditionig,fan,or heat.the breakers seeem to be fine.is there any switches or other fuses somewhere.thanks for any help.doug

dougsmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

What brand of thermostat is it? Is it digital? Does it use batteries?

Do other AC appliances work - like the microwave? Or the power convertor?

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #3

everything else works.it is a slide control and a switch for heat,cool,fan control
Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #4

In saying everything else works, you mean that other AC items work, right?

The only suggestion I have is to flip each and every AC circuit breaker off and then on; sometimes they can appear to be on but actually be off.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the Jayco Owners forum Doug! What year and model Jayco do you have?
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #6

2006 jay feather lgt sport baja
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

If both the Furnace and Air Conditioner do not work, they may be separate problems. What they do have in common is that they use 12V DC to control them through the thermostat. On my 22FB the DC power also controls the refridgerator. Check you Furnace Fuse. If all is good, you may have a bad ground connection behind the thermostat.

Pop the thermostat from the base to access the connections. You could use a 12V test light between terminals R & B to see if the 12V and ground are reaching the thermostat.

2010 Jay Flight 22FB
2011 Ford F250 KR CC 4x4 PSD
22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 PM   #8

Unhappy

I have a similar problem. I have tested the trailer batteries and they are reading 13.5 dc volts then went to the thermostat and get only 0.13 dcv. which I believe is not enough current (12V) to the thermostat? I have checked all the breaker to the heater and air conditioner and fuses in panel and on battery all look good. So, question now is are there any other fuses for the dc voltage that may not be obvious? Everything else that doesn't require dc voltage seems to work in the trailer. Any suggestions on what I should test? A freiend suggest I hook my truck up to the trailer and see if that allows for DC to get to thermostat, may try that tomorrow. For know I have no heat or air period!
troutman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman34 View Post
I have a similar problem. I have tested the trailer batteries and they are reading 13.5 dc volts then went to the thermostat and get only 0.13 dcv. which I believe is not enough current (12V) to the thermostat? I have checked all the breaker to the heater and air conditioner and fuses in panel and on battery all look good. So, question now is are there any other fuses for the dc voltage that may not be obvious? Everything else that doesn't require dc voltage seems to work in the trailer. Any suggestions on what I should test? A freiend suggest I hook my truck up to the trailer and see if that allows for DC to get to thermostat, may try that tomorrow. For know I have no heat or air period!
0.13 of a volt means you have an open circuit. Blown fuse, bad connection, broken or chewed-through wire.

Pull up the harness from behind the thermostat and see of there is a fuse. See if you can chase the wiring back to the converter.

My 1st trailer (it was 25 year old when I bought it) had a bit of corrosion on the connectors at the converter. Also check that the fuse holders are in good condition.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
BCK

You have me curious so I pulled the Atwood wiring diagrams. Depending on which model of furnace you have it could be the breaker at the furnace. For some furnace models the DC power to the T-stat goes through the breaker mounted on the furnace control board. If tripped a re-set should fix it depending on why it tripped in the first place. For other models the 12VDC to the T-stat is from the same circuit as the furnace but tapped ahead of the furnace so would be some other problem in that case.

There is also a little 2A glass fuse in the t-stat. It can be on the front or back of the t-stat. From your description the fuse is probably good but worth a check.

BCK is offline   Reply With Quote