Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #1

Tire Tracker TPMS Repeater

We just returned from a 4 week trip to Florida. During this trip the monitor of our Tire Tracker TPMS constantly lost contact with different sensors. Replacing the batteries didn't help. The funny thing is, in 2019 we took a 6 week trip coast to coast and the monitor never lost connection with any of the sensors. I have no idea why we're having trouble now. Regardless, the system came with a repeater which must be attached to the 12v system which I plan to do and see if that solves the problem. However, I keep the trailer plugged into AC power whenever I'm home so that would mean that the repeater would be powered up 24/7/365. Is that bad for the repeater or should I disconnect it whenever we're not traveling? Thank you for any advice you can give.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawley View Post
We just returned from a 4 week trip to Florida. During this trip the monitor of our Tire Tracker TPMS constantly lost contact with different sensors. Replacing the batteries didn't help. The funny thing is, in 2019 we took a 6 week trip coast to coast and the monitor never lost connection with any of the sensors. I have no idea why we're having trouble now. Regardless, the system came with a repeater which must be attached to the 12v system which I plan to do and see if that solves the problem. However, I keep the trailer plugged into AC power whenever I'm home so that would mean that the repeater would be powered up 24/7/365. Is that bad for the repeater or should I disconnect it whenever we're not traveling? Thank you for any advice you can give.
I needed to add a repeater when I went with the longer Pinnacle. I wired mine directly to one of my batteries and added a switch so I could turn it off when not in use.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Site Team

I mounted mine in the battery compartment When I camp for less than a week, I just remove a wing nut from the positive terminal. I added the wing nut over the positive battery terminal wiring. Works like a dream. I have forgotten to connect it before and it worked flawlessly without it but the signal strength is more when it's on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I needed to add a repeater when I went with the longer Pinnacle. I wired mine directly to one of my batteries and added a switch so I could turn it off when not in use.
Same here.

If the repeater isn't on for me, I get the readings sometimes, sometimes not. But with the repeater on it never misses a reading.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #5

I wired my repeater to the running light circuit in the junction box on the tongue. It is only powered when the 7- way is connected and the lights are on. I always drive with my lights on, though.
fr8erfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:27 AM   #6

I wired mine directly to the battery with a fuse. I just take the fuse out whenever I don't want it on.
Old 07-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8erfxr View Post
I wired my repeater to the running light circuit in the junction box on the tongue. It is only powered when the 7- way is connected and the lights are on. I always drive with my lights on, though.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking except I don't always drive with my lights on. Is there a circuit that's only on when the trailer is plugged in that I could tap into?
Thank you to all that replied. I'm just not sure I'd remember to turn it on and off manually if I wired it directly to the battery.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #8

Pin 4 of your trailer connector is for charging the TT battery while driving. I'm no expert and I believe that not all vehicles are set up to charge on pin 4. might want to check on your particular TV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7-Way-RV-Style-Trailer-Plug-Wiring-Diagram-2.png
Views:	6
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	73580
Old 07-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I mounted mine in the battery compartment When I camp for less than a week, I just remove a wing nut from the positive terminal. I added the wing nut over the positive battery terminal wiring. Works like a dream. I have forgotten to connect it before and it worked flawlessly without it but the signal strength is more when it's on.

^^This is what I do^^
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Pin 4 of your trailer connector is for charging the TT battery while driving. I'm no expert and I believe that not all vehicles are set up to charge on pin 4. might want to check on your particular TV.

Attachment 73580
Thanks fr8erfxr. My question about this is, "Is that circuit always hot?" If that circuit charges the battery, is it still hot from the trailer battery even when disconnected from the TV? Is there such a thing as a one way valve for electricity? I guess the best way to answer my question is to go test it. I'll try to do that and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #11

Yes, you are right. I had a brain fart! That would always be hot. I think you're going to have to put a switch on it. I brought up the running light idea because I have to have mine on to get power for my backup camera so I always tow with my lights on. Originally, I was going to put a lighted switch, mounted to my propane cover, just behind my power jack head so I wouldn't forget it. How about mounting a switch near the propane cover lid so you see it when you open it to turn propane bottles on and off?
Old 07-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #12

One way valve for electricity is called a diode.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, you are right. I had a brain fart! That would always be hot. I think you're going to have to put a switch on it. I brought up the running light idea because I have to have mine on to get power for my backup camera so I always tow with my lights on. Originally, I was going to put a lighted switch, mounted to my propane cover, just behind my power jack head so I wouldn't forget it. How about mounting a switch near the propane cover lid so you see it when you open it to turn propane bottles on and off?
That's a good idea. If I see it when I'm hooking up or unhooking I'm much more likely to remember to turn it on and off. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #14

For those of you that hook the repeater directly to the battery, do you use a fuse, and if so, what amp fuse do you use? Thanks.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawley View Post
For those of you that hook the repeater directly to the battery, do you use a fuse, and if so, what amp fuse do you use? Thanks.
My repeater (EEZ product) comes with an inline 2 amp blade fuse.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
Site Team

The repeater furnished with my TST has a blade fuse in the line.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #17

I installed my repeater in the cabinets above the bed. Wired to 12volts from a nearby light. Added a lighted switch. Now, as part of my routine, I turn on the repeater just before we leave. Turn off when we arrive. Not easy to forget as the lit switch is bright red and my better half sees it when she opens cabinet to get her clothes!! After a few reminders from her, I'm getting better at remembering to turn off the switch!
Since I also have a battery switch to shut off battery power to trailer when stored, I don't worry to much about the repeater draining the battery.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #18

Have the repeater tie wrapped under RV. Wires go up to the battery with clips. I clip on positive before a trip. Make sure the repeater antenna is pointed up or down. I have mine pointed down. I also have the Bluetooth box Velcro on to my back window behind headrest. I have the tireminder with cell phone app.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #19

TMPS Repeater

I created this mini control panel for my stereo, TPMS repeater, and some spare USB charging ports.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5455.jpg  
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #20

Thanks to all that responded. I have the repeater temporarily mounted inside my battery box with a waterproof switch located on the on one of the angled sides on the lid. We're going on a trip soon. If it works well, I'll mount it permanently. If not, I'll find a better location for it. In several tests so far (but not hooked up and towing) it looks like it will work great. Thank you for all the good information and great suggestions.

Jeff