Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #11

The latest is that Dexter is replacing the axles but we must pay the installation. Though this may sound great, it still is a lost of cost and we think these axles have been effecting springs, tire wire and the source of the problem. We'd suggest anyone with dexter axles check out their tire wear, especially if you are taking long trips. The axles should not make the tires look like they tilt in (known as negative camber and causes the tires to wear on the inside) We know we kept tires inflated, did not overload and suspect that the axles are just not strong enough and either are bent to begin with or bend over time.

gladned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

I too am having tire wear problems. Less than 2,000 miles new and left side rear tire wearing excessive. Installed 4 new better quality tires, and kept watch...no one wants to accept the problem..we are really getting upset about this. It is evident, the axle and tires front and rear not align. I need to get it fixed, going to take to either another jayco dealer or possibly trailer place and just pay then sue, for payment. I could understand problems to arise, but for jayco to blame, dexter, dexter, to say bad tires, or not installed properly really looks like all just passing the buck...

tntstanifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntstanifer View Post
I too am having tire wear problems. Less than 2,000 miles new and left side rear tire wearing excessive.
Could be a bad belt in that tire, that has been known to cause excessive wear. Had that situation on a utility trailer, got new tires (under warranty) and the problem went away.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Tire wearing

Do not think mine is tire, very obvious out of alignment. Tilting in on top. Front axle and tires ok..
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

looks to me like your equalizer is rust welded. It should pivot and equalize the load. I don't see any evidence of movement in your second picture where the inside of the carrier is visible.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntstanifer View Post
but for jayco to blame, dexter, dexter, to say bad tires, or not installed properly really looks like all just passing the buck...
Is the unit still under warranty? If so, doesn't matter who is blaming who. It should be taken care of by Jayco. It doesn't make sense to me that Jayco would blame dexter and then not fix the problem (or am I missing something?).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #17

Yes, we purchased new, end of may. I even text and called selling dealer about issues, the tires would roll on turns, i have never seen anything like this. The side walls were 1 ply.. I spoke to the selling dealer again today, they say they are waiting on jayco. Originally they wanted me( Southaven RV) to pay for taking measurements of tires, axle. I refused, told them you can look at the axle and see, also this is warranty, Jayco got involved, blamed, tire mfg, and Dexter. Said the selling dealer should work out with supplier... What a run around...
Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #18

I crawled under, looks like there were other hanger brackets welded, then removed and placed more toward rear.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:30 AM   #19

Our dealer was also reluctant to deal with an axle issue. Fortunately, we had another issue that required our trailer to go back to Jayco. They replaced the axle under warranty.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #20

Have you checked the alignment on the axles? Take a stick that is a few inches longer that the center point on both axles. Put a nail in one end and put it on the center point of one axle and mark the point on the stick where it meets the center point of the other axle. Make sure you remove the hub caps. Go the the other side and measure it. If the difference is greater than 1/16 to 1/8", you need a axle alignment. Non high tech but lets you know if your alignment is tracking properly. Just had to have that problem corrected on my trailer. One tire was wearing excessively on the out side of the tire on the fwd axle.

mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote