Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Tire wear, spring, axle problems on Travel Trailer Jay Flight 24FBS

Current problem is left rear tire showed wear on inside tread.
Axle on this tire was replaced about a year ago- Dexter axle was bent and under warranty

Pictures are current and show that springs are bent, especially for that tire.

Dealer contacted Dexter, who says its a spring problem and spring people say it was overloaded - it was not and was weighed by dealer and not even near weight max. So noboday accepts responsibility and dealer wants us to pay full charge for replacing 4 springs and equalizers.

Questions: Anybody else had dexter axle problems?
Do you think spring problem is related to previous axle problem?
What do you think this repair (4 springs and 2 equalizers) should cost?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2013-04-12 13.36.23.jpg   2013-04-12 13.36.36.jpg   2013-04-12 13.36.49.jpg   2013-04-12 13.37.00.jpg   2013-04-12 13.37.15.jpg  

2013-04-12 13.37.24.jpg  
gladned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Are you the original owner? Is your travel trailer leveled properly when towing? I sure looks like excessive weight could have been distributed to a single axel.....
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #3

Looking on e-trailer's website, the leafs are about $20 - $25 each, equalizers are around $10 each and then you need bolts and u-bolts. You are looking at about $250 for parts and shipping and then time in the driveway. The dealer is probably gonna ask upwards of $1k to do this as they will tell you it'll take 8 hours or so.

As for why this happened, I am not sure. With only 1 bent set of leafs, I would say that side was overloaded like you ran over an open ditch, curb or something that brought the other tire completely off the road.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
Are you the original owner? Is your travel trailer leveled properly when towing? I sure looks like excessive weight could have been distributed to a single axel.....
yes, we are original owners. bought 4/2010. Don't think it is excessive weight to one side. When axle had to be replaced Nov. 2011, both rear tires were worn equally on inside and axle had been bent "up"- Dexter replaced axle and tires.
It weighs 5600 with our stuff and unit weighs 4900. We haven't done anything beyond what dealer did to level it upon purchase of it new.

Do you think the springs problem now could be related to the defective axle?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #5

The bent springs could be from the bent axle as it could have caused the springs to bind and weaken as the suspension cycled. If you can, go to a CAT scale and try to get a weight on each of the TT axles so you can see what weight each is carrying. Maybe there is too much weight carried on one axle and not the other.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

thanks for the cost info. Could you explain a little more about running over ditch, curb and that bringing the other tire off the road? Do you mean that from then on the weight could have been shifted to one side because of running over something? We don't think that happened. They checked alignment and said it was fine. We just can not figure out how this happened, other than it having something to do with the original bent axle. We checked tire inflation often and made no major change in overall weight or in how distributed.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Did the original problem happen while still under the Jayco warrantee if so I would go to them for help. Larry
Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

What I mean it when taking a turn, the trailer wheels turn a much shorted radius therefore if not careful they trailer tires can go up over curbs and if crossing a culvert, could dip into it shifting all the weight to 1 axle and spring. Ever back it into a ditch even partially or over a cement block or something like that?

Something like this where the weight is on 1 axle?

Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

So we had new springs and new tires put on and then the serviceman told us that the wheels appear to tilt in at the top. He measured the camber, which is the degree to which wheel does tilt and the back ones were -.75 degrees and the front wheels were each -1.75 degrees. I have a call into Jayco about what the camber should be. anybody know?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your axle issues.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #11

The latest is that Dexter is replacing the axles but we must pay the installation. Though this may sound great, it still is a lost of cost and we think these axles have been effecting springs, tire wire and the source of the problem. We'd suggest anyone with dexter axles check out their tire wear, especially if you are taking long trips. The axles should not make the tires look like they tilt in (known as negative camber and causes the tires to wear on the inside) We know we kept tires inflated, did not overload and suspect that the axles are just not strong enough and either are bent to begin with or bend over time.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #12

I too am having tire wear problems. Less than 2,000 miles new and left side rear tire wearing excessive. Installed 4 new better quality tires, and kept watch...no one wants to accept the problem..we are really getting upset about this. It is evident, the axle and tires front and rear not align. I need to get it fixed, going to take to either another jayco dealer or possibly trailer place and just pay then sue, for payment. I could understand problems to arise, but for jayco to blame, dexter, dexter, to say bad tires, or not installed properly really looks like all just passing the buck...
tntstanifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntstanifer View Post
I too am having tire wear problems. Less than 2,000 miles new and left side rear tire wearing excessive.
Could be a bad belt in that tire, that has been known to cause excessive wear. Had that situation on a utility trailer, got new tires (under warranty) and the problem went away.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #14

Tire wearing

Do not think mine is tire, very obvious out of alignment. Tilting in on top. Front axle and tires ok..
Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

looks to me like your equalizer is rust welded. It should pivot and equalize the load. I don't see any evidence of movement in your second picture where the inside of the carrier is visible.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntstanifer View Post
but for jayco to blame, dexter, dexter, to say bad tires, or not installed properly really looks like all just passing the buck...
Is the unit still under warranty? If so, doesn't matter who is blaming who. It should be taken care of by Jayco. It doesn't make sense to me that Jayco would blame dexter and then not fix the problem (or am I missing something?).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #17

Yes, we purchased new, end of may. I even text and called selling dealer about issues, the tires would roll on turns, i have never seen anything like this. The side walls were 1 ply.. I spoke to the selling dealer again today, they say they are waiting on jayco. Originally they wanted me( Southaven RV) to pay for taking measurements of tires, axle. I refused, told them you can look at the axle and see, also this is warranty, Jayco got involved, blamed, tire mfg, and Dexter. Said the selling dealer should work out with supplier... What a run around...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #18

I crawled under, looks like there were other hanger brackets welded, then removed and placed more toward rear.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:30 AM   #19

Our dealer was also reluctant to deal with an axle issue. Fortunately, we had another issue that required our trailer to go back to Jayco. They replaced the axle under warranty.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #20

Have you checked the alignment on the axles? Take a stick that is a few inches longer that the center point on both axles. Put a nail in one end and put it on the center point of one axle and mark the point on the stick where it meets the center point of the other axle. Make sure you remove the hub caps. Go the the other side and measure it. If the difference is greater than 1/16 to 1/8", you need a axle alignment. Non high tech but lets you know if your alignment is tracking properly. Just had to have that problem corrected on my trailer. One tire was wearing excessively on the out side of the tire on the fwd axle.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote