Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

To much sway.

I have 2005 Excursion 6.0 power stroke.Iam towing 32 BHDS.i have a Reese tow hitch and 10,000 pond rated torsion bars with chain. I have to much sway. When I picked it up the dealer set it up and It towed like a dream with no problem. Now when loaded up with family and second link I experience way to much sway. What torsion bars do you recommend and sway control. The hitch is rated for the weight.
PeterJorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #2

Sounds like you don't have sway control with your current setup? Since you have a Reese hitch, you may want to look into their dual cam sway solution. I added this when I went from my 19 to my 28'.

It's been working great for me.

I'm not sure a friction bar would work well with your TT size.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

I had the same problem with my 334, several problems could cause this. You need to be careful how you load the TT, heaviest weight needs to be over the axles, especially if you have a rear bunkhouse, lots of places to store weight in those areas in the back, throws off the weight balance on the hitch. Also are you towing with fresh tank full? The water sloshing around in those tanks will make the trailer sway. I towed mine about five miles on interstate and had to dump the tank, couldn't keep the trailer in one lane. Last thing is if you have Tow max tires, better consider getting them off. Sidewalls are too weak for these heavier trailers regardless of what the rating says on the tire, they are junk and unsafe. If you have the Reese torsion hitch, shouldn't need the friction sway bar. They create other problems so would check the loading, tires, water tanks first then go from there.
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
I had the same problem with my 334, several problems could cause this. You need to be careful how you load the TT, heaviest weight needs to be over the axles, especially if you have a rear bunkhouse, lots of places to store weight in those areas in the back, throws off the weight balance on the hitch. Also are you towing with fresh tank full? The water sloshing around in those tanks will make the trailer sway. I towed mine about five miles on interstate and had to dump the tank, couldn't keep the trailer in one lane. Last thing is if you have Tow max tires, better consider getting them off. Sidewalls are too weak for these heavier trailers regardless of what the rating says on the tire, they are junk and unsafe. If you have the Reese torsion hitch, shouldn't need the friction sway bar. They create other problems so would check the loading, tires, water tanks first then go from there.
Like he said '... check the loading, tires, water tanks first then go from there.'

I would add getting your rig weighed to be sure you have about 13% of the loaded trailer weight on the tongue, that loaded the trailer is LEVEL or slightly nose DOWN, that your TV has correct load range tires, and that your TT and TV tires are inflated to the maximum it says on the tire sidewall.

Lots of folks on this site use sway control. I would guess that many of them use it with a Reese hitch.

There are differing opinions regarding tires on this site. I don't have enough experience to suggest one brand over another, but UNDER INFLATION is a common problem leading to handling problems and tire failures.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

TT advice.

Thanks guys. I currently have Hankook load range E tires never had a problem towing my 28 footer. I'll look into max pressure and the resse dual cam torsion bars. If there's any thing els I welcome your advice. Be Blessed.
PeterJorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #6

Move 100# from the back of the trailer to front and you will notice a significant difference. Especially since it towed fine unloaded from the dealer when you bought it.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote